Ultimate space simulation software

 
User avatar
HarbingerDawn
SE Team Member
SE Team Member
Posts: 654
Joined: 22 Aug 2016
Location: CT, USA
Contact:

Work progress 0.991

19 Mar 2021 16:20

Mr. Abner wrote:
Source of the post Thanks for posting here (and not just on Discord).

He never posts on Discord to begin with.
Ryzen 7 3700X, 64 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, GTX 1080 Ti 11 GB VRAM
Posts on old forum: 8717
 
User avatar
miniluv73
Space Pilot
Space Pilot
Posts: 85
Joined: 25 Mar 2020
Location: Flying through the Universe

Work progress 0.991

26 Mar 2021 05:06

scr00077.jpg

For the new upcoming Earth map, I would like to point out that the current Earth map still has the Great Lakes drained. I have a suggestion to fix this issue, simply adjust the height map until the shore matches the sea level
20210326115222_1.jpg
Notice how the colour of the Great Lakes in the height data is roughly the same colour as the ocean.

Other games like Universe Sandbox have done the same thing and I feel this would make a decent solution.
Last edited by miniluv73 on 26 Mar 2021 09:40, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here."
Arthur C. Clarke, 1996
 
User avatar
longname
Explorer
Explorer
Posts: 291
Joined: 13 Apr 2017
Location: ∞/The Multiverse/The Universe/Local Cluster/The Milky Way/Orion Arm/Sol System/Earth-Moon/Earth/UK

Work progress 0.991

26 Mar 2021 08:53

miniluv73 wrote:
Source of the post Other games like Universe Sandbox have done the same thing and I feel this would make a decent solution.

Are you sure? US2 actually simulates fluid on planet surfaces and doesn't need to use 'janky' methods of correcting water levels.
[dah<500,26>dah<180,14>dah<180,21>dah<500,19>dah<180,26>dah<500,21>]
 
User avatar
miniluv73
Space Pilot
Space Pilot
Posts: 85
Joined: 25 Mar 2020
Location: Flying through the Universe

Work progress 0.991

26 Mar 2021 09:43

Yes, but if you look at the height data in the US2 image, the colour of the Great Lakes in the height data on the top-right is roughly the same colour as the ocean.
"I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here."
Arthur C. Clarke, 1996
 
User avatar
longname
Explorer
Explorer
Posts: 291
Joined: 13 Apr 2017
Location: ∞/The Multiverse/The Universe/Local Cluster/The Milky Way/Orion Arm/Sol System/Earth-Moon/Earth/UK

Work progress 0.991

26 Mar 2021 15:49

miniluv73 wrote:
Yes, but if you look at the height data in the US2 image, the colour of the Great Lakes in the height data on the top-right is roughly the same colour as the ocean.

Looking at the water depth charts and actually measuring the depth there would have been more helpful than pulling up the worst map of Earth to grace my screen, but it does seem you're right.
[dah<500,26>dah<180,14>dah<180,21>dah<500,19>dah<180,26>dah<500,21>]
 
User avatar
Khorrah
Space Pilot
Space Pilot
Posts: 124
Joined: 11 Nov 2019
Location: Earth

Work progress 0.991

29 Mar 2021 20:28

Also the lakes on earth have morle like green borders, is that hard to implement this on the UHD maps? 

I love this simulator lol ♥ 
Hello, I LOVE lasagna and Space Engine. ♥
 
User avatar
HarbingerDawn
SE Team Member
SE Team Member
Posts: 654
Joined: 22 Aug 2016
Location: CT, USA
Contact:

Work progress 0.991

30 Mar 2021 20:19

miniluv73, longname, Khorrah, that is all off topic for this thread.
Ryzen 7 3700X, 64 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, GTX 1080 Ti 11 GB VRAM
Posts on old forum: 8717
 
User avatar
Canleskis
Astronaut
Astronaut
Posts: 67
Joined: 08 Oct 2016

Work progress 0.991

28 Apr 2021 16:37

How is progress related to spacecrafts fuel mechanics discussed earlier last year coming along? Haven't heard anything since then and it was really exciting!
Is it planned to be first released in the current version of SE as barebone mechanics or are you trying to implement an actual gameplay loop around these features?
 
Terran
Astronaut
Astronaut
Posts: 71
Joined: 24 Nov 2016

Work progress 0.991

03 Jun 2021 20:50

Just saw the rings video, amazing! Makes me wonder though, regarding the ringlets, do we have data on the average shape of the non-dust sized ringlets? Since they looked much like lumpy snowballs in the video and it made me wonder, should they be more crystalline, chunky, like a boulder of pebbles, like ravioli, rocks, snowballs, snowball with stuff sticking out, all of the above?
To reality, through nothing, from un-everything.
 
User avatar
Khorrah
Space Pilot
Space Pilot
Posts: 124
Joined: 11 Nov 2019
Location: Earth

Work progress 0.991

05 Jun 2021 13:17

Terran wrote:
Just saw the rings video, amazing! Makes me wonder though, regarding the ringlets, do we have data on the average shape of the non-dust sized ringlets? Since they looked much like lumpy snowballs in the video and it made me wonder, should they be more crystalline, chunky, like a boulder of pebbles, like ravioli, rocks, snowballs, snowball with stuff sticking out, all of the above?

Do you remember that those images were of months ago? I think they look better now.
Hello, I LOVE lasagna and Space Engine. ♥
 
User avatar
SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Author of SpaceEngine
Topic Author
Posts: 1119
Joined: 17 May 2016
Location: Saint-Petersburg
Contact:

Work progress 0.991

11 Jun 2021 13:25

3D rings public beta!

http://spaceengine.org/news/blog210611/

- Added volumetric 3D planetary rings
- Updated exoplanet catalog (June 03, 2021)
- Support for blackbody thermal glow and temperature maps for spaceships (accurate radiator glow appearance)
- FXAA smooths alpha channel in screenshots and previews
- Alpha channel is used in Solar system browser previews again
- Separately configurable unit for star surface temperature in the interface
- Opening the map mode while a star is selected will zoom to show its planetary system
- Added support of DEG MIN SEC format for lat/lon in the Goto command
- Fixed spin-orbital resonance display for hyperbolic orbits
- Fixed bug with debris rings being very rare around gas giants
- Fixed missing asteroid belts
- Fixed molten comets bug
- Fixed non-functional interpolation of variables if the duration is zero or negative
 
User avatar
FastFourierTransform
Pioneer
Pioneer
Posts: 345
Joined: 17 Nov 2016

Work progress 0.991

12 Jun 2021 05:42

SpaceEngineer wrote:

Outstanding news, Vladimir. And very interesting read, with lots of details about the implementation. Trully awesome. We totally get why half a year has gone on this specific feature, there is no other way something so complicated like planetary rings could be added if not with enought time.
I hope the code is now flexbile enough for future concepts like warps in the ring plane and 3D distortions like the ones we see close to Daphnis.
 
A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect
Posts: 3148
Joined: 06 Mar 2017

Work progress 0.991

12 Jun 2021 22:57

SpaceEngineer wrote:
3D rings public beta!

http://spaceengine.org/news/blog210611/

- Added volumetric 3D planetary rings
- Updated exoplanet catalog (June 03, 2021)
- Support for blackbody thermal glow and temperature maps for spaceships (accurate radiator glow appearance)
- FXAA smooths alpha channel in screenshots and previews
- Alpha channel is used in Solar system browser previews again
- Separately configurable unit for star surface temperature in the interface
- Opening the map mode while a star is selected will zoom to show its planetary system
- Added support of DEG MIN SEC format for lat/lon in the Goto command
- Fixed spin-orbital resonance display for hyperbolic orbits
- Fixed bug with debris rings being very rare around gas giants
- Fixed missing asteroid belts
- Fixed molten comets bug
- Fixed non-functional interpolation of variables if the duration is zero or negative

Amazing!  Worth paying for it all over again!  Vladimir, I dont know if you saw this, but I was wondering if you would consider adding these in the future- they should be pretty simple modifications, I would think?
The only thing I would import from SNPP over to SE is the H-R diagram which I find highly useful in quickly looking through a FOV to find stars I might find interesting rather than having to click on them randomly.  I can click on a particular speck in the H-R diagram and SNPP will highlight it for me in the main display.  I'd love to see that feature in SE.  The other thing would be directional points on planets and moons so navigating can be made easier while doing a flyover of said body.  One other thing with flyovers of planets and moons can we please have an autopilot mode that keeps the altitude at a set distance above the ground please?  Because if I am not constantly adjusting the controls, I will either crash or fly off into space lol.
 
jjliang
Space Tourist
Space Tourist
Posts: 32
Joined: 19 May 2021

Work progress 0.991

13 Jun 2021 06:36

So the next version will have volumetric rings, right? I think Jupiter, Uranus, and Neptune should have redesigned ring textures based on the ones from Celestia Origin, showing more rings and appearing slightly more visible (from the daytime side, at least. The nighttime side for Jupiter's and Uranus' rings would still look the same, Neptune, will probably have a new nighttime side ring texture, making it the only giant planet whose complete ring system is visible from all angles).
 
User avatar
Khorrah
Space Pilot
Space Pilot
Posts: 124
Joined: 11 Nov 2019
Location: Earth

Work progress 0.991

14 Jun 2021 18:37

jjliang wrote:
So the next version will have volumetric rings, right? I think Jupiter, Uranus, and Neptune should have redesigned ring textures based on the ones from Celestia Origin, showing more rings and appearing slightly more visible (from the daytime side, at least. The nighttime side for Jupiter's and Uranus' rings would still look the same, Neptune, will probably have a new nighttime side ring texture, making it the only giant planet whose complete ring system is visible from all angles).

Why? Actually, all giant planets with an exception of Saturn their rings aren't that dense and thick, the only one which you can see a little it's rings is Uranus, Jupiter and Neptune haves very thin rings, that's the main reason that you can hardly see them. 
Hello, I LOVE lasagna and Space Engine. ♥

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests