Ultimate space simulation software

Onox
Observer
Observer

Troubleshooting and bug reports - SpaceEngine 0.990

05 Oct 2020 05:32

Hello,
I've report somme graphic trouble with the fisheye mode (for inflatable dome) and the gravitationnal distortion (neutron star / black hole and other).
Black disk artifact around the object... no problem with 0.9.8 version of SE.
I have the last update of SE-Pro in Steam (Win 10 + i3 +NVidia GTX 1070).
This is a neutron star very close to Earth for comparison

A black hole without accretion disk

Cygnus X1 and disk

Cygnus X1 close view

Thank you !

Onox
Observer
Observer

05 Oct 2020 05:41

Hi.  I'm trying to write a "Powers of 10" scenario script. I'm using waypoints to produce circles centered on Earth with increasing radius and distance from the Earth (each 10X the previous), then fly through them in reverse. So far so good and the effect is awesome. But at a distance of precisely 181 pc away from the parent, all the waypoints suddenly disappear (not fade away, vanish). I've attached two screen shots, one at a distance just under 181 pc and one just over 181 pc. Also attached se.log. The fact that it's so sudden and that all waypoints disappear at once leads me to believe this is a bug and not something to do with the FadeRange parameter. Also, the documentation says that the waypoint labels should be visible by default. I've tried setting Label to true, but nothing I do makes the labels visible. Another bug?
scr00007.jpg
scr00006.jpg
And some other bug with the line thickness, no modification when I change the value...  :!:

HapNStance
Observer
Observer

Reverse time button.

06 Oct 2020 17:04

Previous versions of Space Engine have had a reverse time button.  I found this extremely useful.  There are times when I want to rotate a planet in reverse time just a bit, or maybe move the planet or moon slightly in reverse in its orbit.  Without this button, I must rotate the planet or moon almost a complete revolution (or move it almost completely around in its orbit) to put in the position I want it in.  Also, when putting a ship into low orbit, it is very useful.  It was very useful when making videos also.  I used the "tardis" cheat in the in-game console several months ago, and it worked.  I still have it there, but it no longer works.  Maybe a recent update has eliminated its usefulness.  Is it a big deal to have the reverse time button added in an upcoming update, or is there another cheat I could use?  I also, notice the "current" time button is missing, which might be handy when exploring our solar system.  Thanks for any help with this.

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Reverse time button.

07 Oct 2020 04:00

Previous versions of Space Engine have had a reverse time button.  [...] I used the "tardis" cheat in the in-game console several months ago, and it worked.  I still have it there, but it no longer works.  Maybe a recent update has eliminated its usefulness.  Is it a big deal to have the reverse time button added in an upcoming update, or is there another cheat I could use?  I also, notice the "current" time button is missing,
The console has a log of commands you wrote in the past, that's why you still have it there. That doesn't mean it's always active, you have to write it and press enter again, you will see TARDIS = true appearing on the console.
The current time button is missing for the same reason, because in Flight Simulator mode you're supposed to pretend you're in the future year 2518.
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
| My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80 | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 12gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram |

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

07 Oct 2020 15:23

How do you display so many stars?  Did you increase the mag limit?  To 10?  I haven't seen so many stars in any starfield on SE!

and JD, I deleted all my start up items outside of my ASUS mobo services and my Creative sound card services plus the regular microsoft services, but I still get that annoying black screen without desktop icons and no taskbar with the new 1909 build of Win 10.  I also uninstalled my taskbar icons and anything else extra I may have added but I only get a normal desktop screen maybe one out of 5 restarts/reboots.  So should I just keep the new build and keep restarting/rebooting until I get my normal screen or revert to the old 1709 build?  I'm keeping the new build for now, hoping for an update and I see many others are having this black screen issue with the new build also.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

07 Oct 2020 15:27

Question about SE Pro.....okay so I exported 2048K cubemap files in JPG format....which folder would these files be in?  When I tried to increase file size, 4096K worked okay, but there was some lag and when I tried to do 8196K files, the program stopped responding and shut itself off.  Is this a function of running out of GPU memory?  I have a 6 GB 1060 card.  Is there any theoretical limit on how high the resolution can be on cubemap exports assuming unlimited GPU memory?  Also I assume this is just for screenshots....is there any way to make videos at these high resolutions without actually having a monitor that supports these resolutions?  I am running SE Pro at 720P30 Ultra Preset and wanted to do 4K30 videos.  Thanks!

Also how does one take very high resolution screenshots of planet surfaces?  I have done 512 cubemaps but dont know how to assemble them into one image.  I tried to take higher res than that but the images take forever to write.  Is there a way to take a very high res version of just what's visible on the screen within the FOV?

JackDole
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

08 Oct 2020 01:57

...which folder would these files be in?  
They are in the 'export' folder.
JackDole's Universe 0.990: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=546
JackDole's Archive: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=419
JackDole: Mega structures ... http://old.spaceengine.org/forum/17-3252-1 (Old forum)

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

08 Oct 2020 01:59

...which folder would these files be in?  
They are in the 'export' folder.
JD is there any way to take 4K or higher res screen shots or videos  when the program is being shown in a 720P window?

JackDole
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

08 Oct 2020 02:17

You can only adjust the size of the window here. The window then extends beyond the desktop area. If you make the window too big, SpaceEngine may crash.
DesktopWindow.jpg
JackDole: Mega structures ... http://old.spaceengine.org/forum/17-3252-1 (Old forum)

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

08 Oct 2020 03:58

Ah okay, I was hoping there was at least a way to make screenshots or videos of the field of view bigger than the window, like when you click on cubemaps and can make 2K and 4K files, even if the SE window itself is of a much lower resolution.  If there isn't a direct way to do this, is there any kind of software I can use to assemble cubemaps into a single immersive image?

avviano
Observer
Observer

11 Oct 2020 18:16

I just bought SE and PRO. Since hours I am trying to achieve 2 things. Post in this forum and try to hide the d.... HUD display. I still can't post a new thread in this forum. This is pathetic!!!!!! 

Regarding the HUD: I can hide everything except the text. Searching the internet i read you can use CTRL-~ but it doesn't work. Of what I read in the Internet, many people before me have had the same issue. I really can't believe that such a basic and important function is so d... hidden that I actually need to post in this forum!?!? 

Why cant you just add a button in the toolbar to hide everything, is that too much to ask? Especially after so many users are having the same issue? Why all this text by default anyway?? Do you really think anyone reads it?

If anyone can help, I would appreciate it. 

PS: Another super annoying thing are the credits. I clicked it by mistake and I had to watch the whole credit scroll which lasted for ages. To force people to watch it without any chance to exit (eg. with ESC button) is super annoying and against every programming ethics I know. I value my time and really hate it when something like this is killing my workflow. It's already bad enough if I have to post here to achieve something so basic as to hide the text in space engine. Please, with your next update finally solve the HUD issue once and for all, add a button or do something more intuitive. Thanks...

JackDole
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

11 Oct 2020 20:05

Regarding the HUD: I can hide everything except the text. Searching the internet i read you can use CTRL-~ but it doesn't work. Of what I read in the Internet, many people before me have had the same issue. I really can't believe that such a basic and important function is so d... hidden that I actually need to post in this forum!?!?
The tilde character (~) only works on an American keyboard.
On a keyboard with umlauts, it's the 'Ö'. (On a British keyboard, I believe this is the '@' character.)
So 'Ctrl ö' (or 'Ctrl @').
By the way, you can define a keyboard shortcut to hide the other Hud elements.
scr01199.png
scr01199.png (218.31 KiB) Viewed 3365 times
As for the 'Credits', try pressing the ESC key!

87th
Observer
Observer

11 Oct 2020 23:52

Hi everyone. There is a kind of fisheye distortion appeared on the screen while in flight simulator. Tried to adjust that in options, but couldn't. And in planetarium mode camera is ok. Anyone has a clue on how to fix that?

HapNStance
Observer
Observer

12 Oct 2020 16:28

Previous versions of Space Engine have had a reverse time button.  [...] I used the "tardis" cheat in the in-game console several months ago, and it worked.  I still have it there, but it no longer works.  Maybe a recent update has eliminated its usefulness.  Is it a big deal to have the reverse time button added in an upcoming update, or is there another cheat I could use?  I also, notice the "current" time button is missing,
The console has a log of commands you wrote in the past, that's why you still have it there. That doesn't mean it's always active, you have to write it and press enter again, you will see TARDIS = true appearing on the console.
The current time button is missing for the same reason, because in Flight Simulator mode you're supposed to pretend you're in the future year 2518.

Thanks for the help.  I have tried retyping "tardis" in the console.  I do see the "reverse time speed" and "set current time" buttons in the Planetarium, but not in the Flight Simulator.  I will just work without them in the Flight Simulator, unless you have another suggestion.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

12 Oct 2020 17:37

JD, is there someway to do very high resolution screenshots beyond the resolution of the monitor without increasing the window size?  I downloaded some software called upsize that creates a hook, but I think this also increases the window size?    I want to see the entire screen when doing a 4K screenshot on a 1280x1024 screen and also not impact performance and not have the image leak onto my second screen.  And does the entire window need to be seen to do high resolution 4K videos on a smaller resolution screen?  The reason I ask is that I can do 4K cubemaps saved as exported files, so why not screenshots or videos?  Also, why can I only do these 4K cubemaps from orbit but when I land on a planet it doesn't work?  When on a planet my cubemaps are limited to 256x256 in size for some reason.  And what software can I use to assemble the cubemaps I make into single images which combine all 6 sides of the cube?  So far I have downloaded Hugin.

And why do cubemaps always use the same names and get overwritten if I make new ones?  Is there a way to prevent the overwrite?

Also, even if I have transparency checked, it only works with .PNG files?