Ultimate space simulation software

xgabriel90
Observer
Observer

Troubleshooting and bug reports - SpaceEngine 0.990

24 Aug 2021 19:51

i have problems with space engine, i dont know if the problem is windows 11 or another error
Attachments
se.log
(41.34 KiB) Downloaded 189 times

xgabriel90
Observer
Observer

25 Aug 2021 19:10

my space engine dont work after i upgrade my windows to windows 11
Attachments
se.log
(41.34 KiB) Downloaded 168 times

eduard
Observer
Observer

31 Aug 2021 18:17

Hi SpaceEngineer,

I am a totally new member on this forum (I just registered, after only reading around posts in the past), but while playing in SE (I totally love it), I came across the following tiny issue involving the gravitational lensing realism ... I have no idea if this is an already known issue, but maybe it could be helpful to post it here.

On my way to Andromeda's supermassive black hole using this spaceship (Explorer-2a, with also 1 Skylone docked on it), I decided to zoom in on my ship, coincidentally having it in front of the blackhole far away (1.72 lj) in the background.
scr00000_960x540.jpg
scr00001_960x540.jpg
... So it turns out that the gravitational lensing simulation is accidentally applied to the ship as well here.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

01 Sep 2021 10:40

Glad I am not the only one who does these long intergalactic trips!  You went from Earth to the Andromeda Galaxy or did you build the ship there?

eduard
Observer
Observer

01 Sep 2021 16:40

Glad I am not the only one who does these long intergalactic trips!  You went from Earth to the Andromeda Galaxy or did you build the ship there?
I created both ships in a low orbit around the Moon this time and docked my Skylone on the big ship there (just for fun).
A warp drive makes extreme distances quite short. And since the warpdrive of SpaceEngine works as a multiplier on your actual velocity (relative to an apparent "absolute zero" velocity frame in the universe - not really obeying any laws of relativity with respect to motion, but alright, a warp drive is also not so realistic anyway :P), accelerating to a few thousands of km/s + time acceleration while burning the engines helps a lot. :)

But since this forum thread is intended for bug reporting, I can complete my experiance with extra info:
I have not really noticed the gravitational lensing bug with other black holes yet (before Andromeda I stayed a while around Sgr A* as well), but I probably didn't zoom in enough from a distance like this to notice anything.
Restarting SpaceEngine multiple times did not help and also a new NVIDIA driver update that came in between on my system didn't change anything to it (SpaceEngine always rebuilds it's shader cache after this, so this could have been a possibility, I don't know).

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

01 Sep 2021 19:41

I created both ships in a low orbit around the Moon this time and docked my Skylone on the big ship there (just for fun).
A warp drive makes extreme distances quite short. And since the warpdrive of SpaceEngine works as a multiplier on your actual velocity (relative to an apparent "absolute zero" velocity frame in the universe - not really obeying any laws of relativity with respect to motion, but alright, a warp drive is also not so realistic anyway :P), accelerating to a few thousands of km/s + time acceleration while burning the engines helps a lot. :)

But since this forum thread is intended for bug reporting, I can complete my experiance with extra info:
I have not really noticed the gravitational lensing bug with other black holes yet (before Andromeda I stayed a while around Sgr A* as well), but I probably didn't zoom in enough from a distance like this to notice anything.
Restarting SpaceEngine multiple times did not help and also a new NVIDIA driver update that came in between on my system didn't change anything to it (SpaceEngine always rebuilds it's shader cache after this, so this could have been a possibility, I don't know).
It's supposed to follow the Alcubierre drive though I have no idea if that would work in this way.
Here is an actual concept ship based on the drive developed at NASA:
(this ship can be downloaded as an add-on)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcubierr ... equirement
In 2012, physicist Harold White and collaborators announced that modifying the geometry of exotic matter could reduce the mass–energy requirements for a macroscopic space ship from the equivalent of the planet Jupiter to that of the Voyager 1 spacecraft (c. 700 kg)[8] or less,[27] and stated their intent to perform small-scale experiments in constructing warp fields.[8] White proposed to thicken the extremely thin wall of the warp bubble, so the energy is focused in a larger volume, but the overall peak energy density is actually smaller. In a flat 2D representation, the ring of positive and negative energy, initially very thin, becomes a larger, fuzzy donut shape. However, as this less energetic warp bubble also thickens toward the interior region, it leaves less flat space to house the spacecraft, which has to be smaller.[28] Furthermore, if the intensity of the space warp can be oscillated over time, the energy required is reduced even more.[8] According to White, a modified Michelson–Morley interferometer could test the idea: one of the legs of the interferometer would appear to have a slightly different length when the test devices were energised.
https://gizmodo.com/how-nasa-might-buil ... ve-5963263
A few months ago, physicist Harold White stunned the aeronautics world when he announced that he and his team at NASA had begun work on the development of a faster-than-light warp drive. His proposed design, an ingenious re-imagining of an Alcubierre Drive, may eventually result in an engine that can transport a spacecraft to the nearest star in a matter of weeks — and all without violating Einstein's law of relativity. We contacted White at NASA and asked him to explain how this real life warp drive could actually work.

https://www.npl.washington.edu/av/altvw81.html

from the original on 21 September 2012. Alcubierre, following the lead of wormhole theorists, argues that quantum field theory permits the existence of regions of negative energy density under special circumstances, and cites the Casimir effect as an example.

https://web.archive.org/web/20120921185 ... tvw81.html

Observer
Observer

09 Sep 2021 07:00

Greetings everybody
Since nobody gave reply to me, I have to post my problem again in this forum. My PC can run 0.990.42 easily but there is trouble with 0.990.43. My PC could not load every file and crashed with no reply while loading ring shaders. I am sure that my PC have the abbility to run, things such as openAL had been installed and I have also rebooted PC several times. The system I am using is Windows 10 home edition, I have openAL and Microsoft Visual C++ 2005, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2015-2019.
The 1.log is the se.log found when system runs the first time
The 2.log is the produced while running the second time
Attachments
1.log
(251.07 KiB) Downloaded 144 times
2.log
(43.29 KiB) Downloaded 139 times

Observer
Observer

09 Sep 2021 07:02

Hope for reply quickly, thanks.

yevaud_pl
Observer
Observer

16 Sep 2021 10:13

Hi,
I have a problem when launching the program. I downloaded it through the Steam today - version 0.990.43.1865. When I open the program it loads, but when the menu appears I just see the logo and the text from the menu, without any background. It plays music for 3 seconds, then freezes and application is closing.
Here is my log:

My computer should be capable of running it. Specifications are: Intel Xeon CPU E3-1246 v3 3.5 GHz, RAM 16 GB, Windows 10 Pro 64bit, NVidia NVS 315.
Is it possible that there is an issue with NVidia? I tried to modify the settings with NVIDIA profile inspector (as advised here: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic. ... 560#p34434) but without success.
I have no antyvirus running. I opened directly the exe file - nothing works. I would appreciate any help!

DaveJerrard
Observer
Observer

17 Sep 2021 18:13

I just tried to run Space Engine Pro (0.990.43.1865) and it opens the main window, but remains blank, then says Not Responding, and locks up.  It worked fine in August.  I didn't change anything.

I just updated the driver to the latest version to see if that would fix it.  Nope.  The free 0.98 version works, but not the Steam version.  I also tried validating the files.   No go.

Running on Windows 10, AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, GeForce 1060.

DaveJerrard
Observer
Observer

19 Sep 2021 22:09

Ok, I just got it working. 

I have a dual monitor setup with a 4k as my main monitor and a 1920x1200 as my secondary.  I guess the last time I used Space Engine, I had it on my secondary monitor as that's where it kept trying to open.  But, as I mentioned, it just remained blank and Not Responding until Windows popped up the continue or terminate options.

I edited the Main User.cfg file. Particularly, this section:
// Window and display settings
Display
{
 WindowSizeX             1928 // window width
 WindowSizeY             1111 // window height
 WindowPosX              3836 // window x position
 WindowPosY              515 // window y position
I changed the WindowPosX 3836to 0 and tried again. This forced it to open on the primary monitor and it worked just fine again.
So, that fixed my problem.  Anyone else run into this?

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

20 Sep 2021 03:39

yevaud_pl, indeed it's the graphics card, NVidia Quadro has issues with SpaceEngine.
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
| My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80 | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 12gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram |

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

21 Sep 2021 02:58

Ok, I just got it working. 

I have a dual monitor setup with a 4k as my main monitor and a 1920x1200 as my secondary.  I guess the last time I used Space Engine, I had it on my secondary monitor as that's where it kept trying to open.  But, as I mentioned, it just remained blank and Not Responding until Windows popped up the continue or terminate options.

I edited the Main User.cfg file. Particularly, this section:
// Window and display settings
Display
{
 WindowSizeX             1928 // window width
 WindowSizeY             1111 // window height
 WindowPosX              3836 // window x position
 WindowPosY              515 // window y position
I changed the WindowPosX 3836to 0 and tried again. This forced it to open on the primary monitor and it worked just fine again.
So, that fixed my problem.  Anyone else run into this?
Nice you're running it at 4K resolution?  I have the 1060 6 GB graphics card so I think it's the same as yours, I'm just still running the 2700X CPU but getting the 5950X for my birthday this week.  How much RAM do you have and do you run it on Ultra preset?  I'm using 16 GB RAM but I have an additional 32 GB RAM on standby in case I need it.  I also have a dual display but both screens are 1280x1024.  I have a third screen (1920x1080) but it's on standby until I can find enough desk space lol.

yevaud_pl
Observer
Observer

21 Sep 2021 08:55

yevaud_pl, indeed it's the graphics card, NVidia Quadro has issues with SpaceEngine.
Thank's Mosfet - that's the reason I think. So is there anything I can do or do I need another graphic card? In the beginning, I was able to run it, I saw Saturn but it happened only once. But if it happened, maybe there is some kind of solution to make it work?

DaveJerrard
Observer
Observer

23 Sep 2021 04:47

More info.

It wasn't a Space Engine problem after all.  Something called Nihemic, apparently part of some audio drive, messes with OpenGL.  I ran into a similar problem with LightWave 3D shortly after upgrading to Windows 10, and that would hang if it tried to open a render in the... you guessed it... the second monitor.  It just did it again tonight.  Somehow that service got reactivated recently.

I disabled the Nahimic service, and now both LightWave and Space Engine Pro work correctly again.