Ultimate space simulation software

longname
Pioneer
Pioneer
Location: ∞/The Multiverse/The Universe/Local Cluster/The Milky Way/Orion Arm/Sol System/Earth-Moon/Earth/UK

Troubleshooting and bug reports - SpaceEngine 0.990

18 Jul 2021 07:25

Being all completely new to me, I can't figure out if I'm using the Pro version or not:
Pro just contains a couple tools and a license for content creators. You won't find much use from this impulse purchase, and besides that, you should have read the description.
[dah<500,26>dah<180,14>dah<180,21>dah<500,19>dah<180,26>dah<500,21>]

Gra121
Observer
Observer

18 Jul 2021 08:24

Thank you for your reply.
It was not an impulse purchase, but a very specific choice, since I really needed the license.
So should I have the Pro version, even if it is not displayed when the program is activated or from the main menu?
I greet you.

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

18 Jul 2021 08:30

Can someone kindly point me to if I have an installation problem, a bug in the program (transparency for videos) or am I wrong?
Thank you
if you bought SpaceEngine PRO DLC, you are indeed using SE PRO.
As far as I know, MP4 format doesn't support an alpha channel natively, so neither SpaceEngine does. If you want to achieve that, your option is to record as screenshots with a filetype supporting transparency, usually PNG is convenient because of the amout of space needed to save data. Then use a video editor or other converters to create a video from screenshots
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
| My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80 | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 12gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram |

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

18 Jul 2021 23:30

Can someone kindly point me to if I have an installation problem, a bug in the program (transparency for videos) or am I wrong?
Thank you
if you bought SpaceEngine PRO DLC, you are indeed using SE PRO.
As far as I know, MP4 format doesn't support an alpha channel natively, so neither SpaceEngine does. If you want to achieve that, your option is to record as screenshots with a filetype supporting transparency, usually PNG is convenient because of the amout of space needed to save data. Then use a video editor or other converters to create a video from screenshots
That sounds like it would be a huge file size.  I like MP4 for small file sizes.  I'm not exactly sure how useful an alpha channel or transparency would be.  They cause blinking on my screens and bug the hell out of me.  I do all my videos in MP4 and my screenshots in JPG.

Gra121
Observer
Observer

19 Jul 2021 03:55

Hello,
prima di tutto ringrazio Mosfer e A-L-E-X.
I answer late because I wanted to find a solution to my problem first.
I have to make a video that will also use some clips captured by Space Engine. Some of this footage must also have transparency.
The solution of using PNG images I had already discarded because it weighs too much on my (old) PC, despite the 25 fps: both the display and the images made go jerky.
I also tried recording with the VP9 codec (whose feature is also to have the Alpha channel). I have not yet checked if it recorded transparency (in theory no, since Space Engine does not allow me to set), but I also discarded this solution because during recording the PC had become even slower than during the test with PNG images.
I then switched to using an external free screen recorder, OBS, which I already normally use. 
In Settings > Output I did the following configuration:
  • Recording Quality: Indistinguishable Quality, Large File Size
  • Recording format: .mov
  • Encodes: hardware (NVENC)
Using the MediaInfo program, the video generated with OBS has the following features:
  • Format: MPEG-4
  • Format Profile: QuickTime
  • General bitrate mode: Variable
  • Video:
  •    Formato: AVC   (Advanced Video Codec)
  •    Format profile: High@L5
  •    Format settings: CABAC / 2 Ref frames
  •    ID codec: avc1
  •    Bitrate mode: Variable
  •    Frame rate mode: Constant
  •    Color space: YUV
  •    Croma subsampling: 4:2:0
  •    Bit depth: 8 bits
  •    Scan Type: Progressive
  •    Color range: Full
  •    Primary colors – Transfer characteristics – Matrix coefficients: BT.709
  •    Codec configuration box: avcC

In DaVinci Resolve, the editing program I use, I can manage the transparency of this video.
I will do more tests in the near future in search of possible better solutions.
Hello

Gra121
Observer
Observer

19 Jul 2021 03:58

I thank Mosfer and A-L-E-X.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

19 Jul 2021 08:43

Hello,
prima di tutto ringrazio Mosfer e A-L-E-X.
I answer late because I wanted to find a solution to my problem first.
I have to make a video that will also use some clips captured by Space Engine. Some of this footage must also have transparency.
The solution of using PNG images I had already discarded because it weighs too much on my (old) PC, despite the 25 fps: both the display and the images made go jerky.
I also tried recording with the VP9 codec (whose feature is also to have the Alpha channel). I have not yet checked if it recorded transparency (in theory no, since Space Engine does not allow me to set), but I also discarded this solution because during recording the PC had become even slower than during the test with PNG images.
I then switched to using an external free screen recorder, OBS, which I already normally use. 
In Settings > Output I did the following configuration:
  • Recording Quality: Indistinguishable Quality, Large File Size
  • Recording format: .mov
  • Encodes: hardware (NVENC)
Using the MediaInfo program, the video generated with OBS has the following features:
  • Format: MPEG-4
  • Format Profile: QuickTime
  • General bitrate mode: Variable
  • Video:
  •    Formato: AVC   (Advanced Video Codec)
  •    Format profile: High@L5
  •    Format settings: CABAC / 2 Ref frames
  •    ID codec: avc1
  •    Bitrate mode: Variable
  •    Frame rate mode: Constant
  •    Color space: YUV
  •    Croma subsampling: 4:2:0
  •    Bit depth: 8 bits
  •    Scan Type: Progressive
  •    Color range: Full
  •    Primary colors – Transfer characteristics – Matrix coefficients: BT.709
  •    Codec configuration box: avcC

In DaVinci Resolve, the editing program I use, I can manage the transparency of this video.
I will do more tests in the near future in search of possible better solutions.
Hello
If you need any help with OBS let me know, I've been using it for awhile and did a lot of research before I found the best settings to use for SE.  I now make 12 hour videos with it and upload to Youtube.
The settings you use seem like they would result in a large file size also, but perhaps this is better for shorter videos.  Do you have any idea how long a video would have to be with your settings to give a 1 GB output at 720P?  I have Output Mode set to Advanced so I don't have the options that you listed.

As far as your question about SE Pro, you just have to go to the extended menu and see if you can edit your camera path.  Only SE Pro can do that.

Khorrah
Explorer
Explorer

20 Jul 2021 05:28

Why is the new update of SE crashing in the loading screen and closes every time I try to launch it? 

I saw in the .log that it doesn't finish loading the shaders... in Main-def.cfg I found this:

CoreContext             true // true for core OpenGL context, false for compatibility OpenGL context
CoreContextVersion      "AUTO" // version of the used core OpenGL context, must be in range [3.3 ... glVersion], or AUTO for max supported version
ShaderVersion           "AUTO" // shader model version used, must be in range [1.5 ... glVersion], or AUTO for max supported version

Here's my se.log file:

I need to know, what I can do? when the startup is running the bar doesn't even go to the half and it closes suddenly. :( 
Attachments
se.log
(262.16 KiB) Downloaded 156 times
Hello, I LOVE lasagna and Space Engine. ♥

My Specs: Intel Core I5 12600K, Corsair Vengeance Pro SL 32GB, MSI Z690-A WIFI DDR4, GIGABYTE NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3070 AORUS MASTER 8G.

Khorrah
Explorer
Explorer

20 Jul 2021 06:03

I deleted cache folder and still haves the same problem this only happens at the version of SpaceEngine version 0.990.43.1865 beta | x64 | Steam edition, the 0.990.43.1830 ran without problems, the problem is that I can't downgrade to this last version mentioned before.

Or is that the new SE's update is not compatible with my Intel Graphics? 

My Specs: Intel Core I5 12600K, Corsair Vengeance Pro SL 32GB, MSI Z690-A WIFI DDR4, GIGABYTE NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3070 AORUS MASTER 8G.

Gra121
Observer
Observer

21 Jul 2021 02:54

Hi A-L-E-X,
yes, I confirm that I have the Pro version. :D  I thank you for the information you gave me.
File size: True, that format generates large files, but I will only use it for the parts I need transparency, so we are talking about clips under the minute of shooting. For important captures I use "High quality, high file size", while in other cases I lower the quality/size later. 
OBS configuration: thank you, every contribution is always very well accepted. OBS I don't use it for games because... I don't play (I like chess, but unfortunately I don't have time) and I don't publish on the Web.  S.E. I will use it as part of editing for a video promoter of a music CD; hence the need to have the license of S.E. for commercial use.

Ciao Khorrah,
I'm sorry, but I can't answer the questions you asked. You should turn to the support, also attaching the pc configuration (better if you log in via C:\Windows\System32\dxdiag.exe).

Greetings to both of you.

Khorrah
Explorer
Explorer

22 Jul 2021 07:03

Thanks Gra121, I would like to know how to solve this really, I don't know why is this happening, I need a fix to this :(

fxmodels
Observer
Observer

22 Jul 2021 17:42

I cant seem to post a new topic but only reply to an existing one so here goes...

1: I have SE 990.43.1865 and cannnot see volumetric rings. Dont know why...

2: Comets, asteroids and dwarf planets are all now this large blue white or orange dot respectively for these objects. I dont know why but it completely ruins the realism ...

Any help? I searched the forums and didnt see any answers to either question.
Join SkyTour LiveStream on Youtube for clear night deep sky tours LIVE from our research grade remotely operated observatory
Listen to SkyTour Radio on KGRAradio.com Sunday Nights 20:00-22:00 ET ... Your Astronomy ONLY show!

fxmodels
Observer
Observer

22 Jul 2021 19:13

Ok figured out that the markers for asteroids, comets and dwarf planets was on. Turned it off and they vanished.. good! But now I still have the original issue of not seeing 3D rings and that is a bit more of a problem... I have the 990.43.1865 version that is supposed to have them. That is what it says on the startup screen.

Would love to see these 3D rings!
Join SkyTour LiveStream on Youtube for clear night deep sky tours LIVE from our research grade remotely operated observatory
Listen to SkyTour Radio on KGRAradio.com Sunday Nights 20:00-22:00 ET ... Your Astronomy ONLY show!

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

23 Jul 2021 11:57

fxmodels, open Locations with F6 or by clicking on the widget on the main toolbar, and go to one of the various ringed planets available from the Featured Locations tab: Geonosis, Rings of a white planet, etcetera.
Rings are very thin and fast, set your time and speed accordingly.
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
| My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80 | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 12gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram |

fxmodels
Observer
Observer

23 Jul 2021 16:43

Ok will do... I thought I read that Saturn had 3d rings as well.. So I only went to Saturn...