Ultimate space simulation software

jjliang
Astronaut
Astronaut

General questions about SpaceEngine

08 Jun 2021 20:46

Why is Uranus' tilt incorrect in the System Chart?

jjliang
Astronaut
Astronaut

13 Jun 2021 09:51

Why are the giant stars (not supergiants, which are shaped like popcorn, just like in real life) blindingly white?

longname
Pioneer
Pioneer
Location: ∞/The Multiverse/The Universe/Local Cluster/The Milky Way/Orion Arm/Sol System/Earth-Moon/Earth/UK

14 Jun 2021 08:06

Why are the giant stars (not supergiants, which are shaped like popcorn, just like in real life) blindingly white?
I'm confused, aren't stars supposed to be blinding, and some stars blindingly white?
[dah<500,26>dah<180,14>dah<180,21>dah<500,19>dah<180,26>dah<500,21>]

MattWithAHat
Observer
Observer

23 Jun 2021 06:31

I think the movement of stars within their galaxy is not implemented in the game and for that reason there is also no way to see the star trajectory, other than the movement in a binary system? I know this would probably be a big thing to add to the game and it might be just too much, but are there plans to add star trajectories?

I first discovered SE a couple of days ago and had the idea to check out the suns movement in the milkyway and had to find out that this is not possible, because star movements are apparently not implemented?

I'm immensly impressed with SE and adding star movements would really just be the cherry on the cake, to make it even more impressive. Just wanted to know if something like that might be possible in the future of SE?

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

23 Jun 2021 08:48

Just wanted to know if something like that might be possible in the future of SE?
In the SpaceEngine TODO list http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?t=72 this feature is marked by the developer "Uncertain if possible"
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
| My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80 | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 12gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram |

Deac
Observer
Observer

23 Jun 2021 13:58

Is there a way to add classes of objects?
I would like to seperate a subset of asteroids so that they can have a unique orbital trace and label color and visibility can be controlled seperately from the rest of the asteroids. Inwould like to do the same thing for ships to create color coded fleets and control their visibility individually.
Is this something that is controlled in some se or sc file? If so where?
So far I have really enjoyed this program and look forward to seeing what else is possible in it.
Thanks,
Deac

Deac
Observer
Observer

23 Jun 2021 20:19

To clarify, I would like to create classes like:
- Asteroids-group1
or
- Ships-faction 1
and be able to filter their markers and orbits like with planets/moons/asteroids/etc in the Settings>Filter objects menu.
Is there a place in the scripts where I can define these new classes?
New classes.jpg
Once the new classes are defined, could I go into Asteroids.sc and just change "Asteroid" to "Asteroid-group1" in the Metis/9-Metis definition to switch it to the new class and color?

Thanks,
Deac

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

25 Jun 2021 23:41

Just wanted to know if something like that might be possible in the future of SE?
In the SpaceEngine TODO list http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?t=72 this feature is marked by the developer "Uncertain if possible"
It might be possible, at least from the view point of Earth.  With Starry Night I can go backwards and forwards in time up to one million years in either direction and see what the constellations look like in the past and future.  I guess this would be more difficult to do on SE since it has to be done from the viewpoint of anywhere in the galaxy?  Proper motion should be able to be added though, although I don't see how it could be done for procedural stars.  This would be a feature that would probably only be added for known objects.

longname
Pioneer
Pioneer
Location: ∞/The Multiverse/The Universe/Local Cluster/The Milky Way/Orion Arm/Sol System/Earth-Moon/Earth/UK

26 Jun 2021 08:17

It might be possible, at least from the view point of Earth.  With Starry Night I can go backwards and forwards in time up to one million years in either direction and see what the constellations look like in the past and future.
Starry Night only has to do this with the stars near Earth. Space Engine would have to generate these stars and their vectors, and it'd have to be able to do this on the fly for any galaxy in the Universe. If it was done for known objects, you'd have the entire local group of stars fly off with proc gen stars stationary and that obviously wouldn't work well.
[dah<500,26>dah<180,14>dah<180,21>dah<500,19>dah<180,26>dah<500,21>]

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

26 Jun 2021 10:31

It might be possible, at least from the view point of Earth.  With Starry Night I can go backwards and forwards in time up to one million years in either direction and see what the constellations look like in the past and future.
Starry Night only has to do this with the stars near Earth. Space Engine would have to generate these stars and their vectors, and it'd have to be able to do this on the fly for any galaxy in the Universe. If it was done for known objects, you'd have the entire local group of stars fly off with proc gen stars stationary and that obviously wouldn't work well.
You're probably right, no way would this be possible for procedural stars so the only way I could see it happening would be with procedural stars and objects turned off.  I wonder if the Gaia catalog calculates proper motion?  If so it could be an option with that catalog.

jjliang
Astronaut
Astronaut

28 Jun 2021 19:46

Would it be possible to recreate the cloud textures of Venus, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune based on photos taken during historic encounters by various spacecraft like Mariner 10, Pioneers 10 and 11, Voyagers 1 and 2, the Hubble Space Telescope, Galileo, Cassini, New Horizons, and Juno?

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

29 Jun 2021 03:27

add Pluto to that list!  and the rings of the other planets :)

Parking__Meter
Observer
Observer

13 Jul 2021 19:58

For some reason, when I created an account, I couldn't post a new post in the forums. I checked my email to see if I need to verify my account or anything, but there was no such email. This has become very frustrating to me. Why is this happening?

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

14 Jul 2021 03:17

Parking__Meter, you can post a new message in existing threads, you just have to find the existing topic pertaining your question or issue. Why is that and a few suggestions about existing threads it's all described in Forum Rules on the top of this page.
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
| My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80 | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 12gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram |

ordovsspace
Observer
Observer

14 Sep 2021 06:56

is this game going to be a full scale representation of the universe? (not like no mans sky)