Ultimate space simulation software

calan
Observer
Observer

General questions about SpaceEngine

10 Apr 2021 15:07

New to Se, and really liking it. But a couple of questions...

1. I've searched everywhere, and can't find this mentioned, even in the to-do list. But, is there (or will there be) a virtual keyboard for VR? For me, the game is extremely limited without it. I play wirelessly away from a computer, and desparately need a way to enter text with the Oculus controllers. (and using the scroll bars on the search box with any accuracy is impossible)

2. Can someone post a list of the config files and options used in Steam VR? I was able to assign controller functions within a Steam binding, but I'd like to open all of them up with Notepad and poke around. I'm looking for things like how to slow down the turn speed when I use a d-pad with "Turn" commands, etc

calan
Observer
Observer

10 Apr 2021 23:07

Hi all, I am Marco from Rome.

Have some technical questions too (sorry for partial repetition):

1.when marking in VR a star, info text appears very small, almost not readable. I have managed to make the labels bigger in the config file, but this do not affect the grey font text used on what appear to be a rendered bitmap plane (it rotates with head movements sticked to the marker) for target information not the label)... only want this font being doubled. Any way to set this in the config file and/or to use some bigger font? In this second case, can you indicate me which font file is used for the gray information text of marked objects?

2. the setting of: max magnitude of displayed stars/planets/nebula etc. and the value of stereobase in vr mode config panel are not saved, turn back to 7 and 1 respectively, and have to set them back at each session start.
As for your first question, I'd like to know too. The info for a selected object is completely unreadble for me. Definitely needs to be a larger/different font, different color, etc.

On the magnitudes not being saved....I got around it by manually editing the "main-user.cfg" file in notepad. Should be in your "...steamapps\common\SpaceEngine\config" folder. There's a bunch of other stuff in there that I'm experimenting with as well, that isn't adjustable in the interface..

Nukedrabbit95
Observer
Observer

27 Apr 2021 15:48

Hi, new here, wasn't sure where to post this.

I'm a bit confused about the cylindrical display mode. I want to export a sphere map of a scene (not planet textures), but I can't find any way to export that as a render like you can with cubemaps using the export skybox tool. There's the option to select rendering resolution from 256->4096. But when it comes to saving the image, the only way to do that I can find is to save a screenshot, which is obviously just at your display resolution.

I have the pro version so it's not that. I know I can just export a cubemap and use some external software to render it as a sphere map, but I'd really rather not have to.

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

27 Apr 2021 17:35

Nukedrabbit95, cylindrical display mode is precisely what you need, for example for 360° videos on Youtube. You can set the program in a windowed mode as big as your VRAM allows it, for example 8k 7680 x 4320, then hit F11 to save the screenshot.
I made this video with a laptop with HD720 display and few hours of elaboration.

[youtube]974rOAYhKww[/youtube]

Unfortunately it's also the last thing I did with it.
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
| My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80 | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 12gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram |

Nukedrabbit95
Observer
Observer

27 Apr 2021 20:58

Nukedrabbit95, cylindrical display mode is precisely what you need, for example for 360° videos on Youtube. You can set the program in a windowed mode as big as your VRAM allows it, for example 8k 7680 x 4320, then hit F11 to save the screenshot.
I made this video with a laptop with HD720 display and few hours of elaboration.

I see, I didn't realize you could go past your screen resolution in windowed mode, thanks!

That's really jank though lol, I wish you could just export a cylinder map from the export skybox tool like you can with cubemaps. Running the game at 8192x4096 cripples my pc and I can't even see the whole image.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

28 Apr 2021 15:09

I'm confused though, you'll still only see a center crop right, the higher resolution will only be in the screenshot?  And, I have a dual display, wont increasing the resolution past the monitor's resolution make the image spill over onto the other monitor?  What if I don't want that?

And did doing this nuke your laptop?!
Last edited by A-L-E-X on 28 Apr 2021 15:18, edited 2 times in total.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

28 Apr 2021 15:15

Hi, new here, wasn't sure where to post this.

I'm a bit confused about the cylindrical display mode. I want to export a sphere map of a scene (not planet textures), but I can't find any way to export that as a render like you can with cubemaps using the export skybox tool. There's the option to select rendering resolution from 256->4096. But when it comes to saving the image, the only way to do that I can find is to save a screenshot, which is obviously just at your display resolution.

I have the pro version so it's not that. I know I can just export a cubemap and use some external software to render it as a sphere map, but I'd really rather not have to.
Hmm maybe you can help me with this.  There is a setting under cubemaps graphics settings that let's you select 256->4096. 1024 seems to be default.  4096 really creates performance issues even when using cylinder mode (why?)  But my question is no matter what resolution that is set to, when you enter cubemaps it always defaults to 1024.  My question is is there any image quality difference with cubemaps screenshots if 1024 is selected for cubemaps under graphics settings and 4096 is selected for screenshot resolution once in cubemap mode?  That's what I do.  Vs selecting 4096 in cubemaps graphics settings mode and then also selecting 4096 once within cubemaps mode and doing a screenshot?  Because the latter really impacts performance (in any mode) and I'd rather not do it that way, I'd much rather have 1024 set under cubemaps graphics settings and just set 4096 when in cubemaps mode and doing screenshots in it.

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

01 May 2021 06:33

wont increasing the resolution past the monitor's resolution make the image spill over onto the other monitor?
Yes.
Dual Screen.jpg
What if I don't want that?
Then, with the current engine of course, a 4k or 8k screenshot will be precluded to you unless you have a 4k or 8k display.
Working on that 4k video with max settings for 13 hours straight with graphics chip at 100% did unleash the final blow to the already abused heatsink part of my hd720 4-year laptop, indeed. (Specs are on the signature)
| My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80 | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 12gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram |

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

02 May 2021 23:26

wont increasing the resolution past the monitor's resolution make the image spill over onto the other monitor?
Yes.
Dual Screen.jpg
What if I don't want that?
Then, with the current engine of course, a 4k or 8k screenshot will be precluded to you unless you have a 4k or 8k display.
Working on that 4k video with max settings for 13 hours straight with graphics chip at 100% did unleash the final blow to the already abused heatsink part of my hd720 4-year laptop, indeed. (Specs are on the signature)
wow thats horrible am I okay if I run SE 16 hours a day with my 8 core cpu at around 15% usage and my gpu at around 50% usage?

Also, got a question about video resolution.  So my secondary monitor on which I run SE has a resolution of 1280x1024 and I run SE at that resolution now (thanks to boosting my virtual ram to 96 GB I get a smooth 30 fps everywhere and I frame capped it to that for consistency.)  My question is using OBS what is the best resolution to make my videos for upload to Youtube? If I do 1280x1024 will that look bad on Youtube?  Dont they use 16:9 aspect ratios and anything else will cause black bars to appear?  If that's the case and I'm running the program at 1280x1024 does that mean I need to make the videos 720P?  I tried that and what happens is OBS crops the window where the bottom part is not captured.  The top and both sides are captured and the bottom 304 pixels aren't captured (1024-720).  So if I'm recording air flight on the planet wont this make much of the landscape of the planet outside of the video box (since the landscape is at the bottom)?  I also tried 1080P but that looks even worse because OBS itself puts black areas at the edges of the video to compensate for the fact that the SE window is 1280x1024.)  So what resolution should I make the videos for upload to Youtube if my screen and SE window resolution is 1280x1024?

I found this

https://managemytraffic.com/blog/how-to ... o-youtube/

Literally a Plant
Observer
Observer

12 May 2021 09:39

i tried customizing a nebula and it broke i need help

jjliang
Astronaut
Astronaut

24 May 2021 19:09

Are the exoplanets' appearances in Space Engine based on ESI, observational data, or artists' impressions?

simoneraineop
Observer
Observer

26 May 2021 15:22

but how do I increase/decrease the Ambient Lighting in the current version of Space Engine? Shift+> and Shift+< don't seem to be working anymore and F7 doesn't bring up any menu.

https://www.mykfc-experience.com/ https://www.myprepaid-center.com/ https://www.prepaidgiftbalance.fyi/

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

26 May 2021 17:15

F4 > Camera   brings you to the settings you want. I suggest you to check in Controls > Common controls which combination activates Ambient lighting, it could be different with some languages. With mine for example is shift+. and shift+,

jjliang
Astronaut
Astronaut

29 May 2021 19:14

Why isn't every real star in Space Engine?

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

29 May 2021 22:51

All I can say is download the Gaia add-on.  I run the one with all the stars down to 13th magnitude plus all procedural objects.  This will keep you busy lol, this is more stars and objects than any other software on the planet.