Ultimate space simulation software

Roy
Space Tourist
Space Tourist
Topic Author

I request shadows

19 Feb 2021 15:08

You mean exactly how he cringes looking at water, horizon, purple planets and absence of shadows?

HarbingerDawn
SE Team Member
SE Team Member

I request shadows

19 Feb 2021 21:07

Roy wrote:
You mean exactly how he cringes looking at water, horizon, purple planets and absence of shadows?

So why would you want to add another thing to that list?

Also there is no physical reason why a planet cannot be purple.
Ryzen 7 3700X, 64 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, GTX 1080 Ti 11 GB VRAM
Posts on old forum: 8717

Roy
Space Tourist
Space Tourist
Topic Author

I request shadows

20 Feb 2021 05:09

Because we had 10 years and that was not enough to make things qualitatively as u see it, so this will be totally fair to say they will never happen if you keep the same line. On the other side halo and many other things can be done the simple way in a few days. Better we have effects done primitively but for real rather than perfect but never done.

HarbingerDawn
SE Team Member
SE Team Member

I request shadows

20 Feb 2021 12:17

Roy wrote:
Because we had 10 years and that was not enough to make things qualitatively as u see it, so this will be totally fair to say they will never happen if you keep the same line. On the other side halo and many other things can be done the simple way in a few days. Better we have effects done primitively but for real rather than perfect but never done.

You are talking as if nothing at all was done in 10 years, which isn't the case. A ton of things were done, just not these specific things. Therefore, it is totally possible that the things you're talking about will indeed be done in the future even if things continue as they have in the past. Your entire argument is flawed.

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

I request shadows

20 Feb 2021 13:25

Roy wrote:
Source of the post Halos could be added as a 2d png texture with small shining effect which is auto-enabled if the camera is
1. In atmosphere
and
2. In a low temperature zone.
That's all it takes. It's one day of work.

That would be similar to implementing atmospheric rendering as changing the background colour to blue if the camera is:
1. In the atmosphere
and
2. On the night side of a planet.
and declare: That's all it takes.  It's done in a day.

A proper implementation of halos would have to take into account the composition of the atmosphere and consider what kind of crystals could form (ice doesn't imply only water here), what kind of dust it could hold, or droplets.  Plumes from cryovolcanos would require new modelling.  Also, some sense of depth and density of particle clouds must be modelled and be reflected in the rendering.  It could even involve original research to create those textures correctly (if implemented that way), because I don't think there has been much research done on this (hey, university students reading this - if you would like your master's thesis or whatever to offer new research and this could fit in your field, here's an idea for you).  Some limited simulations can be found here and here.

Halos would not only offer a new dimension to the atmospheric rendering, but also bring some stunning views.  Whilst pre-rendered textures with some relatively simple masking could be pragmatic way to display such halos, the graphical representation is only a small part of a proper implementation.
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

Roy
Space Tourist
Space Tourist
Topic Author

I request shadows

20 Feb 2021 14:53

Why not go both ways? First work for quantity, create many natural phenomena in a simple way in a short time and later work in details when resources, time, money, programmers will appear for this. Look at the rings, the hands reached their detailed implementation only recently. What would happen if the authors had not make them at all before that point?

HarbingerDawn
SE Team Member
SE Team Member

I request shadows

20 Feb 2021 16:52

Some things can be made in a simple way without being grossly inaccurate. Rings are one of those things. Halos and shadows are not.

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

I request shadows

21 Feb 2021 08:29

Roy, then you have explained to yourself why no proper shadows yet.  First the simple shadows which were implemented early, later the details which require a very different approach.

Halos are not permanent features like rings, on many planets surely quite rare, so a simplistic implementation might not be worthwhile.
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

Jokovich
Observer
Observer

I request shadows

24 Feb 2021 09:19

Roy wrote:
midtskogen wrote:
I requested ice halos, I don't know - almost 10 years ago? 192.168.1.1

Halos could be added as a 2d png texture with small shining effect which is auto-enabled if the camera is
1. In atmosphere
and
2. In a low temperature zone.
That's all it takes. It's one day of work.

There is a lot of negative mood here, guys relax, everything will be fine soon.