Ultimate space simulation software

jjliang
Astronaut
Astronaut
Topic Author

Evolution of the Solar System

02 Jul 2021 21:35

Do you think the entire evolution of the Solar System as the Sun goes through its entire life cycle from protostar to white dwarf could be made into an addon pack? The addon pack would depict the Sun as either a protostar, a main sequence star, a red giant, or a white dwarf, while the planets are born, grown, live, and die with it. Special mention goes to the Earth, which will even show continental drift as it goes from a hot, microbial-only planet, to one thriving with animals and plants as it evolves, and then returns to that same hot, microbial-only planet again before finally being scorched lifeless and even completely engulfed by a warming and expanding Sun as it ages.

ghosterneil
Observer
Observer

03 Jul 2021 03:59

I must say that you have set a rather big goal. I don't think it will be easier than the space engine itself. In fact, our understanding of the solar system and biological evolution is not comprehensive. It is very difficult to achieve the goal you said.

jjliang
Astronaut
Astronaut
Topic Author

03 Jul 2021 07:15

It'll be much easier to depict each of the Solar System's life stages as separate mods, such as entire collection of continental drift maps for Earth, The Earth before and after its collision with Theia, leading to the formation of the Moon, and what the entire Solar System will look like when the Sun finally becomes a red giant.

longname
Pioneer
Pioneer
Location: ∞/The Multiverse/The Universe/Local Cluster/The Milky Way/Orion Arm/Sol System/Earth-Moon/Earth/UK

04 Jul 2021 16:43

It'll be much easier to depict each of the Solar System's life stages as separate mods, such as entire collection of continental drift maps for Earth, The Earth before and after its collision with Theia, leading to the formation of the Moon, and what the entire Solar System will look like when the Sun finally becomes a red giant.
This is not a trivial ask. This would take a lot of work.
[dah<500,26>dah<180,14>dah<180,21>dah<500,19>dah<180,26>dah<500,21>]

Q_5EB
Observer
Observer

05 Jul 2021 03:16

miniluv73
Space Pilot
Space Pilot

05 Jul 2021 11:37

"I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here."
Arthur C. Clarke, 1996

miniluv73
Space Pilot
Space Pilot

05 Jul 2021 11:43

This is not a trivial ask. This would take a lot of work.
It seems as if some of that work has already been done, if you look hard enough
"I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here."
Arthur C. Clarke, 1996

RandomCanadian
Observer
Observer

05 Jul 2021 13:33

The evolution of the Sun (a typical MS star) itself isn't too hard to model, and there are multiple, mutually consistent, scientific models on it - see my post here. The bigger issue is, of course, the evolution of the planetary system itself, which we don't know too much about beyond very broad generalities (and even then, it would require computing exact solutions to some complex stuff, like the n-body problem - which is generally chaotic for n>2 - computations better done on a super-computer than on your home desktop...)