Ultimate space simulation software

jjliang
Space Tourist
Space Tourist
Topic Author

Celestia Origin Textures in Space Engine

08 Jun 2021 18:53

So there is a massive addon pack for Celestia called Celestia Origin (link here: https://vk.com/celestiaorigin) that replaces all vanilla textures with highly improved ones. I wonder if any of its Solar System textures, asteroid/comet and spacecraft models, and/or astronomical data could be modified to be added onto Space Engine.

SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Author of SpaceEngine

10 Jun 2021 09:03

SE textures (HD addon) is anyway better, has higher resolution, and supports 3D terrain.

Charlotte Bridge
Observer
Observer

11 Jun 2021 00:06

Agree! Space Engine is much more interesting and qualitative than Celestia origin :roll: Moreover the forum of Space Engine is far better and pleasant to use than Celestia forum I found. 
“Across the sea of space, the stars are other suns.”
― Carl Sagan

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

11 Jun 2021 04:13

SpaceEngineer wrote:
SE textures (HD addon) is anyway better, has higher resolution, and supports 3D terrain.

Space Engine and Space Engine Pro are the best out there from what I've seen.  And I even have Starry Night Pro Plus (to control my telescopes with) and they cost 3x more than Space Engine Pro, but they don't have all the landscape features that SE has.  The only thing I would import from SNPP over to SE is the H-R diagram which I find highly useful in quickly looking through a FOV to find stars I might find interesting rather than having to click on them randomly.  I can click on a particular speck in the H-R diagram and SNPP will highlight it for me in the main display.  I'd love to see that feature in SE.  The other thing would be directional points on planets and moons so navigating can be made easier while doing a fly over of said body.  One other thing with flyovers of planets and moons can we please have an autopilot mode that keeps the altitude at a set distance above the ground please?  Because if I am not constantly adjusting the controls, I will either crash or fly off into space lol.
Last edited by A-L-E-X on 12 Jun 2021 22:55, edited 1 time in total.

jjliang
Space Tourist
Space Tourist
Topic Author

11 Jun 2021 06:36

I mean not Celestia Origin itself, I mean if any of the textures can be modified for use in Space Engine. Remember when before the Steam edition, Venus', Uranus and its moons', and Neptune's textures were all based on Bjorn Jonsson's, James Hastings-Trew's, Ivan Rivera's, and David Seal's textures, respectively?

tRetro-Visor
Explorer
Explorer

11 Jun 2021 13:15

jjliang wrote:
I mean not Celestia Origin itself, I mean if any of the textures can be modified for use in Space Engine. Remember when before the Steam edition, Venus', Uranus and its moons', and Neptune's textures were all based on Bjorn Jonsson's, James Hastings-Trew's, Ivan Rivera's, and David Seal's textures, respectively?

Most of the things I've seen in there are already in use by Space Engine
For example, Neptune's textures show in Celestia Origin are the same that's being used in Space Engine. SnowfallTheCat made it
and also I've seen no source link to the source material in that addon, which is to me a bad thing to do
"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known."