Ultimate space simulation software

Quarior
Pioneer
Pioneer
Location: Local Universe/Laniakea/Virgo SC/Local Group/Via Lactea/Orion–Cygnus Arm/Sol System/Gaia

Re: 1K-Worlds

03 Nov 2016 09:23

Kexitt wrote:
This mod does not work for me.

You are no luck, work for me.
scr00000.jpg
View on Sanctworld

scr00001.jpg
View on Seres 2.D1.D1
► Information

Hornblower
Pioneer
Pioneer

03 Nov 2016 12:44

swefan wrote:
4) copy the L.pack or H.pack into addons (SpaceEngine/addons)

Is there a difference between L and H?
"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - Douglas Adams

swefan
Space Tourist
Space Tourist
Topic Author

03 Nov 2016 12:51

Hornblower wrote:
swefan wrote:
4) copy the L.pack or H.pack into addons (SpaceEngine/addons)

Is there a difference between L and H?

High quality and Low quality

Thanks [font=Roboto, sans-serif]Quarior  ;)[/font]

Hornblower
Pioneer
Pioneer

03 Nov 2016 12:53

Here's a before and after shot
scr00131.jpg
scr00128.jpg

Amazing work!
Also, this is very laggy
"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - Douglas Adams

swefan
Space Tourist
Space Tourist
Topic Author

03 Nov 2016 12:57

Hornblower wrote:
Here's a before and after shot
Amazing work!
Also, this is very laggy

What Lod level you use?
and your gpu, ram and cpu?

Hornblower
Pioneer
Pioneer

03 Nov 2016 13:11

swefan wrote:
What Lod level you use?

Well, If I set my LOD to 0, it shows no detail. So I am running it on a LOD of 0.100. I don't know about the other stuff, but I think I know why it runs so slow. When you change the PlanetTextureRes to 1024, it tries to load in about 16 times the detail. If it's not that, then it's something similar to that.

swefan
Space Tourist
Space Tourist
Topic Author

03 Nov 2016 13:14

Hornblower wrote:
swefan wrote:
What Lod level you use?

Well, If I set my LOD to 0, it shows no detail. So I am running it on a LOD of 0.100. I don't know about the other stuff, but I think I know why it runs so slow. When you change the PlanetTextureRes to 1024, it tries to load in about 16 times the detail.

You can try to set res to 512, is still a good quality
or try the swefan.L.pack 

Hornblower
Pioneer
Pioneer

03 Nov 2016 13:19

swefan wrote:
Hornblower wrote:
swefan wrote:
What Lod level you use?

Well, If I set my LOD to 0, it shows no detail. So I am running it on a LOD of 0.100. I don't know about the other stuff, but I think I know why it runs so slow. When you change the PlanetTextureRes to 1024, it tries to load in about 16 times the detail.

You can try to set res to 512, is still a good quality
or try the swefan.L.pack 

Even with the low res pack, it just as laggy, and BTW, if i set the PlanetTextureRes to a half of what you say, it will blur those sharp pixel edges

Hornblower
Pioneer
Pioneer

03 Nov 2016 14:17

I think this really screwed up my game. This is what it looks like with max LOD and immediate loading mode. IDK what is happening!
scr00129.jpg

Addition: So I deleted the pak file and changed the settings in main-user back, and I am still getting terrible frame-rate which leads me to believe that the issue is in the glsl folder. I don't even know where to start searching for that, but for the time being, can someone post the unaltered glsl folder for me?

SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Author of SpaceEngine

03 Nov 2016 14:33

swefan, good work! There a way to apply correct textures scale without rape of the engine (without setting PlanetTextureRes to otherwhelming 1024). Just change the parameter PlanetDetailTexScale from 16384 to 4096 - it control the scale of the tiles from the textures atlas. It is not related to the detail "noise" pattern which is disabled by the PlanetDetailTextures parameter - maybe I just choose confusing names for these parameters.

PlanetDetailTexScale 16384 (default)
scr00096.jpg

PlanetDetailTexScale 4094 (4 times lower, to correctly scale up the atlas tiles, which are 4 times bigger)
scr00097.jpg

Note that detail textures will be 4 times larger than in the method with changing PlanetTextureRes to 1024. But that method is not recommended, because it leads to extreme usage of video memory and large lags while generating planet textures: PlanetTextureRes is a resolution of one terrain texture. Also, increasing it to 1024 makes a blocky artefact on a large planets, just like decreasing PlanetDetailTerra).

There is another way to configure the new atlas texture, which don't require editing of the config. It is a better way, because you can share your addon as a single pak file, without need of modification of the main config. There atlas texture have the additional file data/textures/common/atlas.cfg which have a color, scale and rotation data for all tiles:

Rebuild false
(0.806, 0.864, 0.913) 1.000 1.000

Each line is an average color of the tile (three numbers in the braces), its scale (you need this), and its orientation (if needed, you may flip tiles just by changing this). Just change the scale to 0.25 for each tile:

Rebuild false
(0.806, 0.864, 0.913) 0.250 1.000

By the way, after changing the atlas texture, you must update the average color data in the atlas.cfg. Did you do this? Change the first line to Rebuild true and launch SE - it will update the color data automatically by scanning the atlas texture. Don't forgot to change the Rebuild back to false after you complete the atlas texture. Of course, the atlas.cfg must be extracted from the pak file for all these manipulations. Without updating of the atlas.cfg, you will have weird colouring of the planet surface, random color spots and glowing artefacts.

Oops there is a bug: while updating the atlas.cfg, SE saves it to a weird folder: #/textures/common/atlas.cfg. Move it to data/textures/common/ manually (or to addons/textures/common/).

After changing the scale for each tile in the atlas.cfg, and restoring the default values in the main-user.cfg:
scr00100.jpg

PS: I fixed the bug which forces you to edit all shaders in the cache. Now engine don't ignore the PlanetDetailTextures while generating shaders.
PPS: Bug with saving the atlas.cfg to a wrong folder is also fixed.

swefan
Space Tourist
Space Tourist
Topic Author

03 Nov 2016 14:54

Hornblower wrote:
I think this really screwed up my game. This is what it looks like with max LOD and immediate loading mode. IDK what is happening!
scr00129.jpg
Addition: So I deleted the pak file and changed the settings in main-user back, and I am still getting terrible frame-rate which leads me to believe that the issue is in the glsl folder. I don't even know where to start searching for that, but for the time being, can someone post the unaltered glsl folder for me?

simply delete your cache folder, the game will rewrite it next time you run the game

also try the metod that SpaceEngineer suggested for installing the textures, set the res to 256 (default) and change "[font=Roboto, sans-serif]PlanetDetailTexScale 16384" to 4096[/font]
Last edited by swefan on 03 Nov 2016 15:19, edited 1 time in total.

swefan
Space Tourist
Space Tourist
Topic Author

03 Nov 2016 15:04

SpaceEngineer wrote:
swefan, good work! There a way to apply correct textures scale without rape of the engine (without setting PlanetTextureRes to otherwhelming 1024). Just change the parameter PlanetDetailTexScale from 16384 to 4096 - it control the scale of the tiles from the textures atlas. It is not related to the detail "noise" pattern which is disabled by the PlanetDetailTextures parameter - maybe I just choose confusing names for these parameters.

PlanetDetailTexScale 16384 (default)
scr00096.jpg

PlanetDetailTexScale 4094 (4 times lower, to correctly scale up the atlas tiles, which are 4 times bigger)
scr00097.jpg

Note that detail textures will be 4 times larger than in the method with changing PlanetTextureRes to 1024. But that method is not recommended, because it leads to extreme usage of video memory and large lags while generating planet textures: PlanetTextureRes is a resolution of one terrain texture. Also, increasing it to 1024 makes a blocky artefact on a large planets, just like decreasing PlanetDetailTerra).

There is another way to configure the new atlas texture, which don't require editing of the config. It is a better way, because you can share your addon as a single pak file, without need of modification of the main config. There atlas texture have the additional file data/textures/common/atlas.cfg which have a color, scale and rotation data for all tiles:

Rebuild false

Each line is an average color of the tile (three numbers in the braces), its scale (you need this), and its orientation (if needed, you may flip tiles just by changing this). Just change the scale to 0.25 for each tile:

Rebuild false

By the way, after changing the atlas texture, you must update the average color data in the atlas.cfg. Did you do this? Change the first line to Rebuild true and launch SE - it will update the color data automatically by scanning the atlas texture. Don't forgot to change the Rebuild back to false after you complete the atlas texture. Of course, the atlas.cfg must be extracted from the pak file for all these manipulations. Without updating of the atlas.cfg, you will have weird colouring of the planet surface, random color spots and glowing artefacts.

Oops there is a bug: while updating the atlas.cfg, SE saves it to a weird folder: #/textures/common/atlas.cfg. Move it to data/textures/common/ manually (or to addons/textures/common/).

After changing the scale for each tile in the atlas.cfg, and restoring the default values in the main-user.cfg:
scr000100.jpg

PS: I fixed the bug which forces you to edit all shaders in the cache. Now engine don't ignore the PlanetDetailTextures while generating shaders.
PPS: Bug with saving the atlas.cfg to a wrong folder is also fixed.

Wow, thanks! before I couldn't understand how atlas.cfg works, I tried rebuild it but I see no change, now I understand how it works!
Yes edit all shaders in the cache is very annoying, thanks for the fix
Later I try everything that you suggested to me

Hornblower
Pioneer
Pioneer

03 Nov 2016 15:27

swefan wrote:
Hornblower wrote:
scr00129.jpg

simply delete your cache folder, the game will rewrite it next time you run the game

also try the metod that SpaceEngineer suggested for installing the textures, set the res to 256 (default) and change "[font=Roboto, sans-serif]PlanetDetailTexScale 16384" to 4096[/font]

Thanks! It was a great mod while it lasted! I will probably reinstall when you release a more stable version!  :D

swefan
Space Tourist
Space Tourist
Topic Author

03 Nov 2016 15:46

Hornblower wrote:
swefan wrote:
Hornblower wrote:
scr00129.jpg

Thanks! It was a great mod while it lasted! I will probably reinstall when you release a more stable version!  :D

I'm already uploading it (in 2 hours is ready), it runs very well, looks better and less lag, thanks to SpaceEngineer 

Hornblower
Pioneer
Pioneer

03 Nov 2016 15:47

swefan wrote:
Hornblower wrote:
swefan wrote:

I'm already uploading it (in 2 hours is ready), it runs very well, looks better and less lag, thanks to SpaceEngineer 

Good to hear!