Ultimate space simulation software

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

Sci-Fi System Generator V1.2 SE 0.99

24 Jul 2021 00:51

Update 1.1.5
Download: Sci Fi System Generator V1.1.5 SE 0.98.zip

I've been unhappy with name generation and decided to overhaul it. It may not have been the most pressing matter, but it is one of the only systems that exists separately from the rest of the program, which means it won't be affected by SE .99's new class system (which means I won't have to rewrite it when the new version comes out).

The biggest change is that I've added an option to use a Markov Chain generator to create names, which is a fancy way of saying names based on other words, but still random. In the names.txt file, at the bottom of the file is a dataset (that can be edited) that the program will pull from. It uses the words in this list to generate new words. The result is, mostly, much better names that sound very "sci-fi" (because I'm using a dataset of real star names and Roman gods, but you could change this to be anything). The downside is that the larger the dataset, the slower the program. My testing averaged about 3 seconds per run if you only generate one system. If you are generating a large number of systems, the time isn't really affected at all. And of course, you can turn this feature off completely and still use the old name generator. 

Some other smaller changes as well. The pre/post name modifiers are now fully customizable for each type of body (star, planet, moon, dwarf moon). They all pull from their own lists now, all of which can be edited. I also let the user decide how often they should appear, and you now have the option to turn them off altogether. 

I ran a poll asking if dwarf moons should have names and the results were split evenly. So you now have the option to turn name generation off for dwarf moon and moons around small planets and gas/ice giants individually. Generating 50 systems with dwarf moon names turned off completely, the program ran about 20 seconds faster than if dwarf moon names were turned on. 
For the new poll, I would like to know if the config variables should be ranges or should I keep them as standard deviations? More details on the first page. 

As always, tell me if you find any bugs. This may be the last feature update for a while with finals coming up and then work over the summer, so I hope you like it. Obviously, I am still working on it and there are many more features planned for SE .99. 
Hi How would one go about using this to create all the worlds of the Asimovian universe?  There are lots of worlds and I wonder if this can be used to create them in bulk?

longname
Pioneer
Pioneer
Location: ∞/The Multiverse/The Universe/Local Cluster/The Milky Way/Orion Arm/Sol System/Earth-Moon/Earth/UK

24 Jul 2021 09:25

Hi How would one go about using this to create all the worlds of the Asimovian universe?  There are lots of worlds and I wonder if this can be used to create them in bulk?
It's a random generator so you can't exactly control it.
[dah<500,26>dah<180,14>dah<180,21>dah<500,19>dah<180,26>dah<500,21>]

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

24 Jul 2021 09:41

It's a random generator so you can't exactly control it.
Thanks so that wouldn't work for what I have in mind.  If no one is going to make add-ons for the Asimovian Universe I might try it myself.  I've never made an add-on before, just customized sound tracks and these long videos.  SE seems so intuitive I'm pretty excited about it, I've never actually used any kind of flight simulation software before or ever flew a ship until you started helping me with this, and I find it so very realistic and logical that it's fun to learn on the fly (literally, hah I didn't realize I made a pun there until after the fact!)

Rasa
Observer
Observer

Re: Sci-Fi System Generator V1.2 SE 0.99

07 Jan 2023 00:55

Thank you