Ultimate space simulation software

Stab74
Astronaut
Astronaut

Star Wars addons

11 Oct 2017 12:04

I wanna fly through an entire star wars galaxy!
Well then install the SW catalog pak from the OP.  It doesn't have every system but it has a lot.

alliance000
Observer
Observer

Star Wars addons

27 Oct 2017 23:51

Hey guys. I just installed Space Engine recently and I'm loving it so far (despite the crashes on my computer lol)! I also recently installed this mod as well and so far I like the collection of planets and ships offered. However, there are some things that I would like to recommend the maker of the addon to maybe add in future updates to the addon:

Planets: 
Mon Calamari
Byss
Nar Shaddaa
Nal Hutta
Ryloth
Ord Mantell
Csilla
Chandila

Ships:
X-Wing starfighter
A-Wing starfighter
B-Wing starfighter
Y-Wing starfighter
Chiss Clawcraft
E-Wing starfighter
Nebulon-B frigate
Viscount-class Star Defender
Bothan Assault Cruiser
Old Republic Ships in general as a faction
CIS Ships in general as a faction

Hopefully these recommendations help!

DoctorOfSpace
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Star Wars addons

09 Nov 2017 19:22

alliance000, you could always give a go at adding such things.  It isn't difficult to create custom star systems or import models from other sources, it just takes time, but the more people we have doing it then the more that can be done.
CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X @5Ghz - RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 - GPU: MSI RTX 40​90 GAMING ​TRIO 24G
Quando omni flunkus, moritati

An'shur
Space Pilot
Space Pilot

Star Wars addons

01 Dec 2017 05:52

I've created a few things that could be added. The Stygian caldera nebula and 5 systems. (Byss, Dathomir, Korriban, Mandalore and Ryloth) All of these addons are placed to the correct positions (or so I assume) in the Star Wars galaxy. If you have any objections regarding anything (Whether the planets are created right or whatever :)...), please come forward. Otherwise, enjoy!
Attachments
AnshurSW.zip
(902.18 KiB) Downloaded 452 times

GeneralJoe344
Observer
Observer

Star Wars addons

16 Dec 2017 02:16

Why can't the Rebel ships jump? Or warp? Or go into hyperspace? Whatever you prefer to call it

Stab74
Astronaut
Astronaut

Star Wars addons

16 Dec 2017 11:17

Why can't the Rebel ships jump? Or warp? Or go into hyperspace? Whatever you prefer to call it
I never noticed that before but you're right, they don't seem to have warp drives.  The only ship with a warp drive in the pak is the Assault Frigate.  Anyway there is a cheat.  Hit the tilde key to bring up the console and type UFO.  Now you can warp instantly to any destination.  You might be going really fast when you get there though.  Don't forget to type UFO again in console to disable it when you arrive or it will mess up your wheel mouse if you use it for thrusting.

Mr. Abner
World Builder
World Builder

Star Wars addons

16 Dec 2017 14:25

Or just edit the ship's *.sss file and make sure these lines are in it:
WarpBoostLog 12
Warpdrive    true
Warpdrive must be true, and WarpBoostLog is how fast you want to go.

Wac
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

Star Wars addons

26 Dec 2017 03:51

I am willing to implement the remaining star systems (it will take time though, there are like 2500+ of them.)
For that I need to know how to compute the formulae (I have X, Y and Z coordinates from Star Wars Galaxy center but I need declination, right ascension and distance from the sun.)

At the moment I'm finalizing Old republic spacecrafts from Mandalorian wars / KotOR (Some thrusters are not set yet.)
Here is a list of crafts currently done :
- Aurek-class StrikeFighter
- Centurion-class Battlecruiser
- Chela-class Fighter
- Dynamic-class Freighter (Ebon Hawk)
- Foray-class Blockade Runner
- Hammerhead-class Cruiser
- Inexpugnable-class Command Ship
- Interdictor-class Cruiser
- KT-400 military droid carrier
- Ministry-class Shuttle
- Paladin-class Destroyer
- Praetorian-class Frigate

Spinecone
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

Star Wars addons

27 Dec 2017 12:47

I haven't seen anything in this thread that mention Clone Wars spaceships, such as the Republic's, Separatist ones, or also the trade federation's.. Were those already planned as well or not yet?

Julian
Explorer
Explorer

Star Wars addons

29 Dec 2017 00:10

For that I need to know how to compute the formulae (I have X, Y and Z coordinates from Star Wars Galaxy center but I need declination, right ascension and distance from the sun.)
What units are the coordinates in, and what is your source for them? The current locations of star systems in CatalogsSW aren't really accurate or canon, and anyway Space Engine has limitations to the precision of RA and Dec coordinates in a galaxy 1.25 billion light years from the Sun. For plot purposes, Geonosis should be close to Tatooine and Bespin should be close to Hoth. I've tried changing the RA, Dec and distances for Geonosis and Bespin, but the closest I can get them is about 116 light years. Any closer and you just get two systems occupying exactly the same space.

Wac
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

Star Wars addons

29 Dec 2017 04:44

Julian wrote:

> What units are the coordinates in, and what is your source for them?

X and Y coordinates are from this website : [url=http://www.swgalaxymap.com/]http://www.swgalaxymap.com/[/url] (the author measured them from essential atlas or got them from other canon sources), Z is extrapolated from system/object descriptions (some systems are said above or under the galactic plane.)

The easy part is to transform X, Y and Z "atlas" coordinates into light year ones with Star Wars Galaxy center as reference.
Then compute some rotation to have coordinates computed from a parallel plane to the ecliptic.
And now you can calculate distance, RA and DEC.

I simplified it by having star wars galaxy center in front of Sun's North pole and face oriented to get rid of rotations.

Julian wrote:

> The current locations of star systems in CatalogsSW aren't really accurate or canon,

>  and anyway Space Engine has limitations to the precision of RA and Dec coordinates

>  in a galaxy 1.25 billion light years from the Sun.

Well it seems Star Wars Galaxy from CatalogsSW  is too much far, far away  :o to accurately locate systems.
We might need to move it closer.

As a teaser here are some of the Old Republic ships I listed :
[img]https://imageshack.com/a/img924/1382/dh1mWh.png[/img]

Julian
Explorer
Explorer

Star Wars addons

29 Dec 2017 20:47

There doesn't seem to be any point in trying to put every system in the Essential Atlas into the addon. Even if you get the stars located correctly, you'd still need to tweak the orbits of all the planets and moons by hand. We should just focus on systems that appeared in the movies.

Wac
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

Star Wars addons

30 Dec 2017 15:08

It won't be long to add systems seen in the movies. Anyway we could work by iteration, first we add some systems then everybody can tune the planets and give back their work to this forum so everybody can enjoy the result.

Here are my first two contributions : Some ships from KotOR Period (video games and comics.)
Old Republic : [url=[/url]
Revan's Sith Empire : [url=[/url]

Julian
Explorer
Explorer

Star Wars addons

30 Dec 2017 15:22

This is my first modified version of the Star Wars catalog:
CatalogsSW.pak

Changelog:
  • Changed Coruscant textures to have proper distortion at the poles.
  • Increased cloud coverage on Hoth, Dagobah and Kamino.
  • Made all textures on Hoth white, except rocks which are slightly blue.
  • Moved Bespin to 116.7 ly away from Hoth.
  • Lowered the altitude of Bespin's clouds so that they're within the atmosphere.
  • Moved Geonosis to 116.7 ly away from Tatooine.
  • Added rings to Geonosis by commenting out the "NoRings" line.
  • Changed Jestefad and Lefrani to binary planets with Mustafar orbiting their barycenter. It's physically impossible, but Space Engine allows it.
  • Added all objects from An'shur's December 1 post to the .pak file.
  • Changed Beshqek's spectral type to B8 V (Byss is lit with an "eerie blue-green glow" according to Wookieepedia).
  • Increased Byss' orbital radius to 1.1 AU because Beshqek became hotter.
  • Changed the Stygian Caldera's orientation to Roll/Pitch/Yaw values and positioned it so that it lies mostly in the plane of the galaxy.
scr00403.jpg
Coruscant with updated textures
scr00400.jpg
Mustafar as a trinary planet
scr00406.jpg
Rotated Stygian Caldera
I haven't tried to make the positions of the systems canon-accurate yet, but this is the data we have to work from. CatalogsSW uses these coordinates for the center of the Star Wars galaxy:
RA 0.0873333
Dec +24.5855555
Dist 3.83e8
Radius 15329.8994

At a distance of 3.83e+08 parsecs, one parsec is an angle of atan(1/3.83e+08) = 1.49597336e-07 degrees. The origin of the Essential Atlas's coordinate system is Coruscant Prime, which in CatalogsSW is 1786.74 pc away from the galactic center, but according to swgalaxymap.com the distance should be 2131.37 pc in the +Y direction. Coruscant Prime needs to be moved first, and everything else would follow.

Alternatively, we could scrap the entire galaxy catalog in CatalogsSW and try to port the 214 MB Celestia mod for the Star Wars Galaxy to Space Engine. It contains every system from the Essential Atlas, but it assumes that the Star Wars galaxy is the Triangulum Galaxy. (I can kind of understand the reasoning for that: The Phantom Menace showed that E.T.'s species lives in the Star Wars galaxy, and the tagline for E.T. said "He is 3 million light years from home." The Triangulum Galaxy is 2.784 million light years from the Milky Way.)
Last edited by Julian on 30 Dec 2017 23:08, edited 1 time in total.

Quarior
Pioneer
Pioneer
Topic Author
Location: Local Universe/Laniakea/Virgo SC/Local Group/Via Lactea/Orion–Cygnus Arm/Sol System/Gaia

Star Wars addons

30 Dec 2017 15:56

Julian, oh nice update and the info for the mod of Celestia.
Also for force to make the rings because with a update, maybe the rings disappear even with
NoRing false
//NoRings true
, use this :
Rings {}
Also maybe a GitHub or a folder shared with Google Drive can be useful for avoid republishing the mod (and also change the link).
Rethanks and good continuation.
PS : I update the main post for the CatalogsSW.pak.
► Information