Ultimate space simulation software

WildSirius
Observer
Observer
Topic Author

The Milky Way Overhaul

21 Dec 2021 02:19

The Milky Way Overhaul

This is the forum page of the original Milky Way addon that you can find on the Steam Workshop. The purpose of this is to have a place where you can suggest your ideas for further improvement of the addon. You can also find an experimental version of the addon for version 0.9.8.0 below.

What does this do?
This addon replaces the default Milky Way model with an alternative design that aims for a unique design, making it stand out from most galaxy models present in the game while still being scientifically accurate as much as possible. 

The model is based on real-life imagery of spiral galaxies such as NGC 6744 or UGC 12158 and from concept art like this: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Milky_Way_Galaxy.jpg

Here some screenshots (these are from the Steam version, but it looks the same for SE 0.9.8.0):

01.png

02.png

03.png

04.png

05.png

06.png

Will this mess up with procedural generation?
A common problem with installing mods like this is that your saved places will most likely get lost. Thankfully, this is not the case; all of your saved places will still exist even with the addon installed, although some nebulae might look slightly different, but nothing game-breaking.

How to install?
For version 0.9.8.0, download the PAK file below and place it on your addons folder, remember to delete the cache folder, otherwise, it won't work correctly!

DOWNLOAD HERE
Current Addon version: 3.0

For the Steam version of the addon, you can find it on the Steam Workshop

References:
If you want to know more about our galaxy, check out this page, which served as a great source of information for the creation of this addon:
http://galaxymap.org/drupal/node/171

And from this site: 
https://ecampus.matc.edu/mihalj/astronomy/test5/galaxies.htm

Close up view of the Milky Way near the Solar System:
http://gruze.org/galaxymap/map_2020/

Big thanks to Andy-roo77, who served as an inspiration for this addon:
https://www.reddit.com/r/spaceengine/comments/lamv7a/an_alternate_design_for_the_milkyway_in_space/

Khorrah
Space Pilot
Space Pilot

The Milky Way Overhaul

29 Dec 2021 20:07

This is beautiful, I really enjoy this milky way, is there any posibility to make this but with andromeda?
Hello, I LOVE lasagna and Space Engine. ♥

My Specs: Intel Core I3 8100 4 cores 3.6 ghz, 8GB Ram 2133 Mhz, ECS Elitegroup H310H5-M2, Graphics Intel UHD 630, 1000 GB HDD.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

The Milky Way Overhaul

30 Dec 2021 17:44

I think I have an earlier version of this from over the summer do I need to find the add on again or will it automatically update?

WildSirius
Observer
Observer
Topic Author

The Milky Way Overhaul

01 Jan 2022 16:35

Khorrah wrote:
This is beautiful, I really enjoy this milky way, is there any posibility to make this but with andromeda?

Sure! Although I think the current model for Andromeda is already good enough. So I'm a little scared of ruining it xd

A-L-E-X wrote:
I think I have an earlier version of this from over the summer do I need to find the add on again or will it automatically update?

If you have the one from the Steam Workshop, I recommend you unsubscribe and then subscribe again so the changes from the new version apply. After that, you just delete the cache folder and you should be fine.

DoctorOfSpace
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

The Milky Way Overhaul

06 Jan 2022 20:43

This is very well done, adding the curve the galaxy should be possible btw which is something I think I mentioned on Discord before.
CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X @5Ghz - RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 - GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING 24GB
Quando omni flunkus, moritati

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

The Milky Way Overhaul

10 Jan 2022 19:50

WildSirius wrote:
Khorrah wrote:

Sure! Although I think the current model for Andromeda is already good enough. So I'm a little scared of ruining it xd

A-L-E-X wrote:

If you have the one from the Steam Workshop, I recommend you unsubscribe and then subscribe again so the changes from the new version apply. After that, you just delete the cache folder and you should be fine.

Thanks, looks like it works now!
I figured it would update automatically but I guess not.

WildSirius
Observer
Observer
Topic Author

The Milky Way Overhaul

13 Jan 2022 17:02

DoctorOfSpace wrote:
This is very well done, adding the curve the galaxy should be possible btw which is something I think I mentioned on Discord before.

I believe I can do the curvature of the Milky Way with the Cubemap method right? I think it could be interesting, the problem is that every time I approach a galaxy with this type of model (like ESO 510-G13), it crashes the game. I also don't think they look good enough, but that might be because I don't really know how to work with these types of models.
A-L-E-X wrote:
WildSirius wrote:
Khorrah wrote:

A-L-E-X wrote:

I thought the same. Sometimes it does update automatically, but sometimes it doesn't.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

The Milky Way Overhaul

14 Jan 2022 00:26

WildSirius wrote:
DoctorOfSpace wrote:

I believe I can do the curvature of the Milky Way with the Cubemap method right? I think it could be interesting, the problem is that every time I approach a galaxy with this type of model (like ESO 510-G13), it crashes the game. I also don't think they look good enough, but that might be because I don't really know how to work with these types of models.
A-L-E-X wrote:
WildSirius wrote:

I thought the same. Sometimes it does update automatically, but sometimes it doesn't.

I did the unsubscribe/resubscribe thing but didn't clear the cache.  I installed a new display driver, I figure that would clear the cache automatically since it was a clean install.

DoctorOfSpace
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

The Milky Way Overhaul

14 Jan 2022 05:54

WildSirius wrote:
Source of the post I believe I can do the curvature of the Milky Way with the Cubemap method right? I think it could be interesting, the problem is that every time I approach a galaxy with this type of model (like ESO 510-G13), it crashes the game. I also don't think they look good enough, but that might be because I don't really know how to work with these types of models.

Check the Centaurus fix on the workshop for a working method in recent builds. 
CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X @5Ghz - RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 - GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING 24GB
Quando omni flunkus, moritati