Ultimate space simulation software

harmonicGF3
Observer
Observer

GAIA to SpaceEngine catalogs

10 Sep 2021 12:06

Apparently GAIA has 1.8 billion stars now wow
https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-55178257
How much RAM would I need to import all 1.8 billion stars?
Discord : supersonic71#4504

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

10 Sep 2021 15:53

I have a related question.  I went into my config file and it says that SE is limited to using 3 GB of VRAM and 8 GB of RAM?  Should I change that?  I have twice as much VRAM and twice as much RAM installed right now (I have access to another 32 GB but I just dont use it.)  I also run SNPP and 4 browsers at the same time across two identical screens so I'm not sure how much to allocate to SE?  I also have a bunch of virtual memory - 96 GB!  I'm using the GAIA 13th mag limit add on as well as about 100 other add ons from the work shop lol including a bunch of ships and cockpits and Rodrigo's Mods and Klud's add ons.  Resolution is 1280x1024 on each screen and using the Ultra preset.  Everything works fine right now I just wonder if I should allocate more memory to SE?  The puzzling thing is, my Afterburner HUD tells me that it's already using close to 6 GB of VRAM and 12 GB of RAM so maybe it's ignoring the config file or maybe that's a sum total of all my programs' usage?

harmonicGF3
Observer
Observer

10 Sep 2021 22:10

I have a related question.  I went into my config file and it says that SE is limited to using 3 GB of VRAM and 8 GB of RAM?  Should I change that?  I have twice as much VRAM and twice as much RAM installed right now (I have access to another 32 GB but I just dont use it.)  I also run SNPP and 4 browsers at the same time across two identical screens so I'm not sure how much to allocate to SE?  I also have a bunch of virtual memory - 96 GB!  I'm using the GAIA 13th mag limit add on as well as about 100 other add ons from the work shop lol including a bunch of ships and cockpits and Rodrigo's Mods and Klud's add ons.  Resolution is 1280x1024 on each screen and using the Ultra preset.  Everything works fine right now I just wonder if I should allocate more memory to SE?  The puzzling thing is, my Afterburner HUD tells me that it's already using close to 6 GB of VRAM and 12 GB of RAM so maybe it's ignoring the config file or maybe that's a sum total of all my programs' usage?
In task manager, go to processes tab, you can see how much RAM and VRAM each program is individually using. I don't know answers to other questions hehe.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

11 Sep 2021 18:43

In task manager, go to processes tab, you can see how much RAM and VRAM each program is individually using. I don't know answers to other questions hehe.
Says SE is using just under 7 GB (6.7 GB).  I think maybe I should leave it as is since I don't want my computer to have memory problems, it's still young lol.

harmonicGF3
Observer
Observer

12 Sep 2021 23:57

To disable default star catalog, you may try to make an empty file on the same virtual path as the HIPPARCOS.csv, for example:

addons/catalogs/stars/HIPPARCOS.csv
Does this trick still work in latest update? I tried this but those stars are still appearing.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

13 Sep 2021 00:29

To disable default star catalog, you may try to make an empty file on the same virtual path as the HIPPARCOS.csv, for example:

Does this trick still work in latest update? I tried this but those stars are still appearing.
Why do you want to not make the stars appear?  I keep all catalogs on as well as all procedural bodies and everything works fine together.

harmonicGF3
Observer
Observer

13 Sep 2021 01:33

Why do you want to not make the stars appear?  I keep all catalogs on as well as all procedural bodies and everything works fine together.
Actually I want to use the above trick (empty file with same name) for different purpose- to disable all galaxies other than local group. But it doesn't seem to work anymore (for both stars and galaxies).
so basically trying to find a way to disable existing catalog without modifying /data/ folder.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

13 Sep 2021 12:10

Actually I want to use the above trick (empty file with same name) for different purpose- to disable all galaxies other than local group. But it doesn't seem to work anymore (for both stars and galaxies).
so basically trying to find a way to disable existing catalog without modifying /data/ folder.
Hmm maybe you could try the menu on the right side to do this?  You can uncheck that which you don't want displayed

harmonicGF3
Observer
Observer

14 Sep 2021 23:01

Hmm maybe you could try the menu on the right side to do this?  You can uncheck that which you don't want displayed
Hi Alex, I tried that. Thing is it disables all real galaxies. Currently, the SpaceEngine has BlackholeHosts.sc, Kexitt.sc, LocalGroup.sc, NGC-IC.csv
in the galaxies folder.
I wanted to make an addon which disables everything except LocalGroup.sc ( inspired by )
Anyways I think I'm going offtopic, so I'll post it in the Addons help thread.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

15 Sep 2021 01:59

Hi Alex, I tried that. Thing is it disables all real galaxies. Currently, the SpaceEngine has BlackholeHosts.sc, Kexitt.sc, LocalGroup.sc, NGC-IC.csv
in the galaxies folder.
I wanted to make an addon which disables everything except LocalGroup.sc ( inspired by )
Anyways I think I'm going offtopic, so I'll post it in the Addons help thread.
Okay I think it might help you to also disable procedural objects or at least procedural galaxies.

I watched the video- it's sad and yet entertaining at the same time!

Stringbean
Observer
Observer

22 Sep 2021 06:50

Hi, 

Is it true that the 1 million Star catalogue addon only consists of K Class orange/yellow Super Giants and that there's no variety in this mod. 
The reason I'm asking is because two people on the Steam Workshop page for this addon have mentioned what I just mentioned above but they have got no responses from the author. One of them says that he doubts this will make SE any more realistic.

You see, I'm a newcomer to SE having only purchased it from Steam yesterday and already I'm wanting to make the virtual universe as realistic as possible.
I thought these Star addons were meant to enhance and make SE more realistic than it already is? 

FastFourierTransform
Pioneer
Pioneer

25 Sep 2021 07:45

Is it true that the 1 million Star catalogue addon only consists of K Class orange/yellow Super Giants and that there's no variety in this mod.
There's currently no consistent way to know the exact spectral classification of a star inside the Gaia catalogue. You can either use other catalogs or observational datasets (if you are lucky to be studying a star that is also in another catalogue) or you can make some crude guesses using the photometric data available in Gaia. So the problem is not from SpaceEgnine or the addon itself, it is a problem related to the actual limits of knowledge right now.

But this will all change by the end of summer 2022 because the Gaia third data release (DR3) will be publicly available and then we will have ow resolution spectra for millions of stars, enoght to star making this more accurate. In fact just the first year of observation of Gaia it did more stellar spectra than all the observatories and space telescopes have done in all of human history. Now we are in the 5th year of that endevour and the data processing people are getting closer to release that part of the catalogue, so stay tunned. Also, the uncertainty in distances will shrink a factor of 2 or 3 in the new release.

Until then the best we can do for this mod without making actual science is guessing. The most common type of star in the Galaxy are main sequence M-type stars. But Gaia has observational biases (as any instrument) and since M dwarfs are not very bright we should expect the vast majority of M dwarfs detected by Gaia having small distances and brighter stars having larger in general. So this is complicated matter if you want this to be more realistic right now. Just wait for the summer of 2022 and I can tell you that we (at ESA) are working hard to make the most accurate and largest Galactic map ever by several orders of magnitude.

Also I'm happy to announce that the Gaia mission got a full extension, so observations will continue even after data release 4 (DR4) in 2024. Parallaxes (thus distances) are become better each year but the rate of change of that is slowing down so we should expect little improvement after 2026 (we will almost hit the theoretical limits of the astrometric capabilities of the mission). But still after 2026 we should see an amazing improvement in the characterization of the 1.8 billion stars detected so far (more robust spectra, variability of the stars etc...). So after DR4 we should expect thousands of exoplanets each year by the transit method, the detection of several times more Cepheids and other standard candles that will also improve the distance ladder to cosmological scales. Also as the baseline continues to grow propper motion will be improved year upon year, which will give us lots of information about the past and future evolution of the Galaxy (well even more than what Gaia has done by now). Also better proper motions will help decouple some degeneracies in the astrometric solutions, which means that many (1% of the dataset) parallaxes that we now think are correct will suddenly swich to a new more realistic value (so actually there is room for improvement even after we hit the limits of the instruments just by gathering more data on proper motions).

Stringbean
Observer
Observer

25 Sep 2021 12:44

Until then the best we can do for this mod without making actual science is guessing. The most common type of star in the Galaxy are main sequence M-type stars. But Gaia has observational biases (as any instrument) and since M dwarfs are not very bright we should expect the vast majority of M dwarfs detected by Gaia having small distances and brighter stars having larger in general. So this is complicated matter if you want this to be more realistic right now. Just wait for the summer of 2022 and I can tell you that we (at ESA) are working hard to make the most accurate and largest Galactic map ever by several orders of magnitude.
Thanks very much for the detailed explanation. Much appreciated.

CN_SE_USER
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: GAIA to SpaceEngine catalogs

24 Apr 2022 03:50

There are many stars in the gaia catalog is repeated as same as the SE built-in catalog. I checked it on Stellarium Mobile

bhaihuye
Observer
Observer

Re: GAIA to SpaceEngine catalogs

11 Jun 2022 03:10

the gaia archive doesn't give any spectral classes, so the converter took the temperature and made an assumption on the spectral class, so all stars are main sequence.