Ultimate space simulation software

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

Patch 0.9.8.0e

01 Sep 2017 14:11

Do I need to do anything as far as changing the graphics settings or cfg file?
I do not think so. But you can try it.
These are my settings.
scr00004.png
Do you have any modified shaders for planet rendering
No.
Thank you, our settings are already very similar lol.  You did not change any of the saturation settings in the .cfg file, Jack?
Screenshot - 9_1_2017 , 3_10_12 PM.jpg

JackDole
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Patch 0.9.8.0e

01 Sep 2017 14:31

You did not change any of the saturation settings in the .cfg file
No.
JackDole's Universe 0.990: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=546
JackDole's Archive: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=419
JackDole: Mega structures ... http://old.spaceengine.org/forum/17-3252-1 (Old forum)

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

Patch 0.9.8.0e

01 Sep 2017 14:37

You did not change any of the saturation settings in the .cfg file
No.
Thanks Jack.  The only differences I see in the graphics settings is you have a higher setting for aurora, I have MSAA turned on, I have a slightly faster loading speed, and a lower black hole rendering quality.
If I use SE pre-patch what do I lose?  Just accurate rendering of solar system eclipses, nothing else?
I can use SNPP or Stellarium for eclipses only.
For the star shader file, does that also work with nebulae, clusters or galaxies or do you have a separate one for that?  Also, do I need to do anything to activate it, Jack?  Thanks!

JackDole
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Patch 0.9.8.0e

01 Sep 2017 16:04

For the star shader file, does that also work with nebulae, clusters or galaxies or do you have a separate one for that?
No. No.
JackDole's Universe 0.990: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=546
JackDole's Archive: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=419
JackDole: Mega structures ... http://old.spaceengine.org/forum/17-3252-1 (Old forum)

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

Patch 0.9.8.0e

01 Sep 2017 17:35

For the star shader file, does that also work with nebulae, clusters or galaxies or do you have a separate one for that?
No. No.
Jack does anything need to be done to activate the star shader plugin?

Mr. Abner
World Builder
World Builder

Patch 0.9.8.0e

01 Sep 2017 18:51

Not an expert here, but I think the star saturation/look may be attributable to the lower screen resolution you are using compared to JackDole. Your individual pixels are going to be larger, and you can't make a star look smaller than 1 pixel.

No help at all with your other problems, I'm afraid, I haven't bothered with the 0.9.8.0e patch. (I never spend any time anywhere near Earth in S.E. I don't think I've ever even been in our own solar system in S.E.)

-Alex

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

Patch 0.9.8.0e

01 Sep 2017 19:11

Not an expert here, but I think the star saturation/look may be attributable to the lower screen resolution you are using compared to JackDole. Your individual pixels are going to be larger, and you can't make a star look smaller than 1 pixel.

No help at all with your other problems, I'm afraid, I haven't bothered with the 0.9.8.0e patch. (I never spend any time anywhere near Earth in S.E. I don't think I've ever even been in our own solar system in S.E.)

-Alex
hmmm that sounds a lot like when res-ing down an astrophotograph you get the same kind of effect.
I installed the star shader plugin let's see what happens.
The water not rippling with the patch version is weird.  No clouds is only something that happens on Earth.  On exoplanets I still see clouds.  Some exoplanets have atmospheres some don't (like in the Trappist-1 system only the b and c planets seem to have atmospheres.)
Procedural planets are unchanged and maintain full detail.

Mr. Abner
World Builder
World Builder

Patch 0.9.8.0e

01 Sep 2017 20:49

No clouds is only something that happens on Earth.
Perhaps that's by design. How can you see an eclipse if it's cloudy? ;)

Oh... and travelling at 1c is still slow given the size of the Universe. Think about it — try travelling from Earth to Proxima Centauri at 1c and it will take you a little over 4 years to get there. You need to go much faster if you want to see stars whiz by à la Star Trek.

DoctorOfSpace
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Patch 0.9.8.0e

01 Sep 2017 22:18

and travelling at 1c is still slow given the size of the Universe. Think about it — try travelling from Earth to Proxima Centauri at 1c and it will take you a little over 4 years to get there
If SE had relativistic effects you would see stars zipping by through a highly distorted view of the universe, at least up through 1c, at 1c it would get stranger.
CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X @5Ghz - RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 - GPU: MSI RTX 40​90 GAMING ​TRIO 24G
Quando omni flunkus, moritati

Mr. Abner
World Builder
World Builder

Patch 0.9.8.0e

02 Sep 2017 01:29

and travelling at 1c is still slow given the size of the Universe. Think about it — try travelling from Earth to Proxima Centauri at 1c and it will take you a little over 4 years to get there
If SE had relativistic effects you would see stars zipping by through a highly distorted view of the universe, at least up through 1c, at 1c it would get stranger.
Yes, of course. But then SE would need a separate clock for every object moving at a different speed.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

Patch 0.9.8.0e

02 Sep 2017 01:37

Oh... and travelling at 1c is still slow given the size of the Universe. Think about it — try travelling from Earth to Proxima Centauri at 1c and it will take you a little over 4 years to get there. You need to go much faster if you want to see stars whiz by à la Star Trek.
Yeah I just select Goto and I get that whizzing effect of the warp drive that Doc was talking about.
I'm talking more along the lines of say I am orbiting a planet or flying over a planet and want to explore the terrain below me.  The terrain doesn't change no matter how fast I go.

I actually like the clear blue skies.  I miss the rippling water and the reflection of the sun on the water much more.
Last edited by A-L-E-X on 02 Sep 2017 01:41, edited 1 time in total.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

Patch 0.9.8.0e

02 Sep 2017 01:39

Well, for those traveling at 1c, they would experience no passage of time at all :P
BTW that shader plugin didn't seem to help matters, or maybe I need to "activate" it somehow?
Screenshot - 9_2_2017 , 2_31_41 AM.jpg

Mr. Abner
World Builder
World Builder

Patch 0.9.8.0e

02 Sep 2017 01:47

Yeah I just select Goto and I get that whizzing effect of the warp drive that Doc was talking about.
I'm talking more along the lines of say I am orbiting a planet or flying over a planet and want to explore the terrain below me.  The terrain doesn't change no matter how fast I go.
Wait a minute, that doesn't sound right... how are you changing the velocity? Mouse wheel? That just changes the acceleration you will experience once you try and change velocity with one of the keys (arrows keys, num-pad 1 & 0).

You should see two numbers next to the clock at the bottom left, the top one is actual velocity, the bottom one is your current acceleration setting.

If this is blatantly obvious, my apologies, but I can think of no other reason you can travel from star to star, or planet to planet, yet once there cannot move relative to that planet.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

Patch 0.9.8.0e

02 Sep 2017 01:57

Wait a minute, that doesn't sound right... how are you changing the velocity? Mouse wheel? That just changes the acceleration you will experience once you try and change velocity with one of the keys (arrows keys, num-pad 1 & 0).

You should see two numbers next to the clock at the bottom left, the top one is actual velocity, the bottom one is your current acceleration setting.

If this is blatantly obvious, my apologies, but I can think of no other reason you can travel from star to star, or planet to planet, yet once there cannot move relative to that planet.
I am using the arrow things at the bottom and clicking on them.  Am I doing it wrong?  I click on the one that says Increasing Velocity.  I just sit in the same location no matter how fast I make it.

And since we are on the subject of the clock, how can time be set to a particular minute and second?  I can get the date and the hour but it ignores me when I try to set it to the exact minute and second.

Mr. Abner
World Builder
World Builder

Patch 0.9.8.0e

02 Sep 2017 02:09

Mr. Abner wrote:
A-L-E-X wrote:
Mr. Abner wrote:
Perhaps that's by design. How can you see an eclipse if it's cloudy?

I am using the arrow things at the bottom and clicking on them.  Am I doing it wrong?  I click on the on
I am using the arrow things at the bottom and clicking on them.  Am I doing it wrong?  I click on the one that says Increasing Velocity.  I just sit in the same location no matter how fast I make it.

And since we are on the subject of the clock, how can time be set to a particular minute and second?  I can get the date and the hour but it ignores me when I try to set it to the exact minute and second.
I don't know about any arrow buttons to click on, I'm talking about the actual cursor arrow keys. Up = accelerate forward; down = decelerate, or accelerate backwards; left & right = well, left and right; numpad 1 = accelerate vertically up; numpad 0 = down; Z key will cancel all movement.

For rotation, use the numpad keys 8, 2, 4, 6, 7, and 9. The numpag 5 key will cancel all rotation.

And how these affect the camera will depend on what mode you are in. The upper row number keys 1 to 3 will change how the camera reacts. (4 is to take control of a ship.)

Hope this helps.

Edit: Oh, and if you are a "gamer", the movement keys (and some rotation keys?) are duplicated on the left side of the keyboard, but I don't use them much, so don't remember what they are. You can assign any keys of your choice from the Main menu, Settings submenu, Controls option.