Ultimate space simulation software

DoctorOfSpace
Star Engineer
Star Engineer
Topic Author

DoctorOfSpace's Mod Emporium v0.9.8.0

13 Feb 2018 04:26

Falk76, check the main page of the site, there should be a guide for it.  It's a bit too in depth to explain here.
CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X @5Ghz - RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 - GPU: MSI RTX 40​90 GAMING ​TRIO 24G
Quando omni flunkus, moritati

Falk76
Observer
Observer

14 Feb 2018 03:59

Hi :) Have I read the instructions for adding the ships. OMG that is really complicated. :( Would it be possible that you offer your USS Discovery for download? That would be really great :) mfg Falk 

MarsMatter
Observer
Observer

21 Feb 2018 04:58

I just had to get that Interstellar mod, I loved the movie.  If only the wormholes actually worked, I have flown ships through the one around Saturn a few times and it looks incredible but ending up in the same place you started makes it significantly less fun than it could be.  Hopefully linking wormholes is a planned feature for Space Engine.

Stab74
Astronaut
Astronaut

02 May 2018 17:20

Any chance of the Sulaco or other Aliens ships being released any time soon?  I need to suppress an Alien infestation on LV-426!

Posadism is Now
Observer
Observer

04 May 2018 08:49

Seconding the more ships from the Alien canon, as much of a cluster ‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎ as it is now. I've modded the music to be Jerry Goldsmith's soundtracks to both Alien and Outland, and it's fantastically eerie.

A big bulky used up rotting space ship would work perfectly
1. UFOs are probably real, and they are probably communists.
2. Space is a worthwhile endeavor
3. Beneficial invasion is inevitable.

t. J Posadas

June 18th, 1968

DoctorOfSpace
Star Engineer
Star Engineer
Topic Author

04 May 2018 12:13

Stab74, Posadism is Now,

I haven't finished touching them up, as I plan to update them more for 0.9.9.0, but here is a pak that should work with 0.9.8.0.  The dropship is still pretty broken so don't expect perfection nor consider this a proper release.

This pak has Narcissus, Nostromo, Sulaco, UD-4L Dropship, and the Juggernaut

Sulaco and Juggernaut ships are from kipster's thread here
http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=322

The remaining ships I will have to check where they came from.
CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X @5Ghz - RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 - GPU: MSI RTX 40​90 GAMING ​TRIO 24G

Posadism is Now
Observer
Observer

05 May 2018 12:45

[quote="DoctorOfSpace"][ref]Stab74[/ref], [ref]Posadism is Now[/ref],

I haven't finished touching them up, as I plan to update them more for 0.9.9.0, but here is a pak that should work with 0.9.8.0.  The dropship is still pretty broken so don't expect perfection nor consider this a proper release.

Sulaco and Juggernaut ships are from [ref]kipster[/ref]'s thread here
http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=322

The remaining ships I will have to check where they came from.[/quote]

I read you didn't really like the design of the Nostromo itself because of the problem of its engines, but you could always avoid that by keeping it in dock with its refinery, and keeping the refinery the ship without any ignition effects required really. You would think that would be a nightmare with all the forest of aircraft model kits they desecrated in its design, but I would find it fun making that sort of thing. I guess it's a difference in which direction of scifi we love, the retro sleek of older Star Trek or the recession grime and filth of aged utility in Star Wars, and especially Alien; I definitely prefer the latter, with the full creativity of Ron Cobb working with John Molo on display. Won't deny it's tough modeling though.

I love Alien a bit more, I know it's kind of like "Well who would want any of the spaceships from that", but I just kind of relate to space in an empty and uncaring entity towards any kind of romanticism, sort of way. Just like Alien predicted space is as empty of humanity as space travel is, the dream of a collective nations coming together in peace is fanciful and the bleak reality is skeevy corporate controlled corner cut space travel is alive and thriving.

I guess what I'm saying is that I love when I get my pessimism dominating my space vs my optimism dominating my space. Plus Ron Cobb designs are just cool. I'm a bit more inspired by the sets and designs of the first Alien, for whatever reason, and I'd love a bit of a darker take on it.

If you need any reference, there's plenty here:
1. UFOs are probably real, and they are probably communists.
2. Space is a worthwhile endeavor
3. Beneficial invasion is inevitable.

t. J Posadas

June 18th, 1968

DoctorOfSpace
Star Engineer
Star Engineer
Topic Author

05 May 2018 15:36

I suspended work on PBR Trek ships due to weird shader changes but it seems the most recent build has those issues fixed, I have also found a way to preserve specular shine and tiling while benefiting from PBR and the environmental wrap.  The downside with PBR is you can only have two ships on screen at a time or else the rendering bugs out. It is still a tedious process to edit them all so I may only do a few of them and slowly convert them.

Tuskin38, you might find these to your liking

Voyager has some weird speckling going on, I may try to fix that

Enterprise D came out really superb

Enterprise E is fairly decent, might need to be tweaked a bit

NX ships really shine

Shenzhou with corrected PBR map looks like it should now

Discovery really came out nice and has that nice bronze/copper shine, if any ship should be using PBR this is it

Cpt.Picard
Observer
Observer

18 May 2018 16:17

Amazing...just simply amazing....well done.  Hope we get to enjoy these ships and the next version of SE some day.

Tuskin38
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

18 May 2018 21:38

Tuskin38, you might find these to your liking
They're beautiful!

Efe35
Observer
Observer

29 May 2018 07:32

Where is Pandora? when i search for pandora its next to neptune

JackDole
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

29 May 2018 08:45

Where is Pandora? when i search for pandora its next to neptune
This is because of the non-unique name. Neptune has a moon called Polyphemus. The 'ParentBody' for Pandora is Polyphemus, so it can happen that Pandora appears at Neptune.
You can use this script.
(30.58 KiB) Downloaded 641 times
Put it in 'addons\catalogs\planets'.
I gave the planet Polyphemus an additional name - 'Polyphemus (Avatar)' - and took it as 'ParenBody' for Pandora. (And for the other moons of Polyphemus.)
I have done the same with some other planets that can cause problems.
JackDole's Universe 0.990: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=546
JackDole's Archive: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=419
JackDole: Mega structures ... http://old.spaceengine.org/forum/17-3252-1 (Old forum)

Julian
Explorer
Explorer

05 Jun 2018 00:54

Are you able to rebuild the smoothing groups on the Sulaco?
Sulaco smoothing.jpg
Also, the name of the Marine corps faction should be changed to U.S. Colonial Marines, and Nostromo and Narcissus probably need to be placed in a new faction called Weyland-Yutani.

Propulsion Disk
Explorer
Explorer

06 Jun 2018 09:06

Mods will be posted occasionally as I have a lot of updating left to do.
I can't wait for more of the real ones! I fought that those were the best of all of them, do you think you can do the pioneers?

DoctorOfSpace
Star Engineer
Star Engineer
Topic Author

20 Jul 2018 01:24

Lack of lit up registry is a bit of a bummer, but I can't be bothered doing the work on it.

Same place I got the Discovery, much more accurate than the previously posted DSC Enterprise