Ultimate space simulation software

Salvo
Pioneer
Pioneer
Topic Author

Books

20 Oct 2020 12:40

Hi everyone! I was curious about books and I couldn't find a place where to talk about it.
What kind of books do you read? What is your favourite book?

My favourite book is The End of Eternity by Isaac Asimov. I also read some fantasy like Harry Potter (I'm trying to read the books in English, it's quite challenging actually!) or Chronicles of the Emerged World, but my favourite genre is sci-fi, I absolutely love it. I also wrote a sci-fi book, even if it's not available in english.
The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 570 RAM: 8 GBs

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Books

20 Oct 2020 14:00

I have to admit, a large portion of books I read are dictionaries, often etymological dictionaries, of long dead languages.
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer

Books

20 Oct 2020 18:17

I enjoy reading a variety of books, both fiction and nonfiction. The most recent fiction I've enjoyed was the Shades of Magic series by V. E. Schwab, along with Vicious and Vengeful. At the moment though I'm reading five different books about American Indian history for an elective university course, including a text about tribal rights and the history of treaties and laws. Sounds incredibly dull, but it all ties together and I'm actually finding it much more interesting than expected.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

Books

21 Oct 2020 14:45

I enjoy reading a variety of books, both fiction and nonfiction. The most recent fiction I've enjoyed was the Shades of Magic series by V. E. Schwab, along with Vicious and Vengeful. At the moment though I'm reading five different books about American Indian history for an elective university course, including a text about tribal rights and the history of treaties and laws. Sounds incredibly dull, but it all ties together and I'm actually finding it much more interesting than expected.
You should also read about judges' decision that were biased against the Native American community.  I've read a ton on that, ever since the Standing Rock protests began.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

Books

21 Oct 2020 14:50

I have to admit, a large portion of books I read are dictionaries, often etymological dictionaries, of long dead languages.
Fascinating- I was doing that in high school in prep for the SAT haha.   I found the best way to study was to randomly open up pages in the dictionary and see what percentage of words I actually knew (it was around 75%) and then try to bolster my knowledge by learning etymologies.   In college when I reread the Lord of the Rings and connected works by Tolkien I spent a month reading a collection of books on artificial languages like the one behind Tolkien's classic works.  I was so engrossed in it, I spent hours every day trying to come up with new words using the same methods Tolkien used and even tried to compose poetry using them.  I found that the most realistic artificial languages are grounded in ancient history and culture- even if it's a contrived ancient history like what Tolkien wrote.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

Books

21 Oct 2020 14:52

Hi everyone! I was curious about books and I couldn't find a place where to talk about it.
What kind of books do you read? What is your favourite book?

My favourite book is The End of Eternity by Isaac Asimov. I also read some fantasy like Harry Potter (I'm trying to read the books in English, it's quite challenging actually!) or Chronicles of the Emerged World, but my favourite genre is sci-fi, I absolutely love it. I also wrote a sci-fi book, even if it's not available in english.
Read End of Eternity in high school along with a number of other Asimov books (both fiction and nonfiction and even his Opus compilations.)  It is outstanding.  Find The Gods Themselves if you can; The Stars, Like Dust, The Robot series and The Foundation series also, they are equally enthralling.

Salvo
Pioneer
Pioneer
Topic Author

Books

29 Oct 2020 12:03

Read End of Eternity in high school along with a number of other Asimov books (both fiction and nonfiction and even his Opus compilations.)  It is outstanding.  Find The Gods Themselves if you can; The Stars, Like Dust, The Robot series and The Foundation series also, they are equally enthralling.
Thank you for suggestions! I've already readThe Foundation series, but not the others  :D
The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 570 RAM: 8 GBs

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

Books

29 Oct 2020 17:03

You're about to go on a wondrous journey!  I still remember the first time I read them and one thing I really love about Asimov is he wrote so many books, that finishing one doesn't leave you sad it's done, it makes you look forward to reading the next.....

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Books

30 Oct 2020 16:47

If you liked the Foundation Series, you should read the Robot trilogy as well (Caves of steel, the naked sun, the robots of dawn).
I liked the Dune saga, even the sequels and prequels written the son of the author.
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
| My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80 | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 12gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram |

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

Books

30 Oct 2020 17:31

Yes!  I saw the movies first, but the books were even better (as they usually are.)

JackDole
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Books

03 Nov 2020 20:25

I own about 3000 books. (And I've actually read a lot of it. Many books multiple times. Some very often.)
But I only own many of these books because I've read one thing before: The Lord of the Rings.
After reading this book, I started looking for something comparable. I don't think I found it.
Oh, I found Terry Pratchett and the Disc World Novels. They're just as good in their own way.
And loads of other good writers and books. But none made such an impression on me as the Lord of the Rings.
But I only read the whole book 4 times.
Once in the three-volume German paperback edition. Then not for 17 years! I didn't need to read it, it was always present to me as if I had only read it yesterday.
Then I read it in a one-volume, illustrated German edition. Then in a one-volume edition in a new German translation. (In my opinion a terrible translation, which I can't recommend anyone. And as far as I know, you can still get the old translation.)
And I've read the one-volume English edition.

Does that sound familiar?
It happened to a great many people like me, with the Lord of the Rings.
They set out on the search ...

Before reading The Lord of the Rings, I turned down Fantasy. It was too fantastic for me, too unrealistic.
I've mostly only read science fiction novels. (About 1000 of my books.) And non-fiction books.
And at some point I also had a phase where I read a lot of crime novels. Simple stories like Sherlock Holmes, without 'psycho'.
JackDole's Universe 0.990: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=546
JackDole's Archive: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=419
JackDole: Mega structures ... http://old.spaceengine.org/forum/17-3252-1 (Old forum)

Mr. Abner
World Builder
World Builder

Books

03 Nov 2020 21:20

But I only own many of these books because I've read one thing before: The Lord of the Rings.
After reading this book, I started looking for something comparable.
Have you read the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant?  I thought the first trilogy was excellent — "Lord Foul's Bane", "The Illearth War", and "The Power that Preserves." The second series, not so much. Never did read the third.
Oh... written by Stephen R. Donaldson.  And his science fiction "The Gap Series." That was a good read.

JackDole
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Books

03 Nov 2020 21:34

Only the first trilogy. (But because you remind me of it, it was a long time ago, I should actually read it again!)
JackDole's Universe 0.990: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=546
JackDole's Archive: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=419
JackDole: Mega structures ... http://old.spaceengine.org/forum/17-3252-1 (Old forum)

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Books

04 Nov 2020 03:23

I can confirm the same happened to me with LOTR, didn't read anything fantasy before, then I tried with a book someone heartily recommended to me, and I stopped reading it halfway through.
I think I read LOTR 3 times.
I had a Foundation quadrilogy book that I don't touch anymore because I fear it'll break apart next time I open it, I stopped counting at 6 times, then I moved to digital copies.
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
| My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80 | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 12gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram |

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

Books

04 Nov 2020 17:24

I own about 3000 books. (And I've actually read a lot of it. Many books multiple times. Some very often.)
After reading this book, I started looking for something comparable. I don't think I found it.
Oh, I found Terry Pratchett and the Disc World Novels. They're just as good in their own way.
And loads of other good writers and books. But none made such an impression on me as the Lord of the Rings.
But I only read the whole book 4 times.
Once in the three-volume German paperback edition. Then not for 17 years! I didn't need to read it, it was always present to me as if I had only read it yesterday.
Then I read it in a one-volume, illustrated German edition. Then in a one-volume edition in a new German translation. (In my opinion a terrible translation, which I can't recommend anyone. And as far as I know, you can still get the old translation.)
And I've read the one-volume English edition.

Does that sound familiar?
It happened to a great many people like me, with the Lord of the Rings.
They set out on the search ...

Before reading The Lord of the Rings, I turned down Fantasy. It was too fantastic for me, too unrealistic.
I've mostly only read science fiction novels. (About 1000 of my books.) And non-fiction books.
And at some point I also had a phase where I read a lot of crime novels. Simple stories like Sherlock Holmes, without 'psycho'.
JD after you read LOTR did you read other works by Tolkien?  I read the Silmarillion found it incomplete and then read his son's collection of works that he put together from his father's writings.  I found them even better than LOTR as even though they weren't complete they hinted at a greater reality that existed behind the curtain of LOTR.