Ultimate space simulation software

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

Show off your work

06 May 2021 21:27

Well, it definitely won't be with the sound card.  I went into sound settings and found that no input was coming from the mic which is attached to my sound card.  Turns out when "What U Hear" is turned on to record the SE sound track, the mic is automatically turned off.  When I turned the mic on to record sound from it (and it worked during the mic test), the What U Hear slider in OBS automatically turns off.  So the two cannot record simultaneously.  I will try with Line In and Mic In on the onboard audio, but it doesn't look very good because first I can't even find the options for it on Desktop Audio, maybe they automatically disable when I installed the drivers for the Audigy RX sound card?  What U Hear needs to stay on for me to record the SE sound track with the speakers off, so my only other option to record both the soundtrack and my voice simultaneously is to have the speakers on and record both through the mic, which means the soundtrack recording will be of lower quality which is not what I want.
Wow, that's very weird! I mean, I can turn both on with no problem. I have a different sound card though, so it's probably different from one sound card to another. Maybe there is on the web some software which can create a "virtual input" that contains both audio and microphone on the same track, but you won't be able to split them so it's quite useless  :(
Just an update I got it to work!  I had to manually alter my sound settings to do so, turns out something called "Stereo Mix" was disabled, but I can now record both from the mic and from my speakers even when they are turned off, all at the same time!  I just need to make sure mic boost is turned off, otherwise there is feedback coming from the mic.
I now need advice for something else.  I have 7.1 surround sound speakers (Creative P7800) and I performed the Windows 10 speaker test on them and I am not getting sound from my side right speaker.  The other 6 speakers and the subwoofer work just fine, but this one speaker doesn't respond to the test.  What could be wrong and how do I fix it?  Is it the cord?  The end that goes into the speaker is permanently attached, and the other end from each speaker goes into the subwoofer.  Then there are three cables that go from the subwoofer to the back of my Creative Audigy RX 7.1 sound card.  I think if one of those 3 was loose I would have more than just 1 speaker with no sound so it shouldn't be that it's somewhere between the wire that goes from the back of that side right speaker going into the subwoofer right?  How do I fix it?  I hope the speaker hasn't stopped functioning because if it has, these are no longer to be found.  These speakers are 10 years old and when I had them on my Win XP PC (used until Summer 2018), I used to test the speakers regularly using Creative speaker diagnostic software, but now that I have a Win 10 PC I have to use the Windows Sound tool.  All the speakers have worked fine until now.   But if the speaker won't work I will have a tough time replacing it.  As a matter of fact I can't find any 7.1 computer speakers anywhere on Amazon or B&H, where I bought these from.  There are 5.1 but no 7.1 for computers- what I found looks like it's only for home theatre since it has HDMI it wouldn't work with my sound card!

This is what I have:

reviews for it

https://www.amazon.com/Creative-Inspire ... ll_reviews

where I bought it from

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... Sound.html

my sound card

some others I found on Amazon (they are all 5.1)

[*]https://www.amazon.com/Acoustic-Audio-AA5170-Theater-Bluetooth/dp/B00IBINI7K/ref=sr_1_8?dchild=1&keywords=7.1+computer+speakers&qid=1620349020&sr=8-8

[*]this is only 5.1 though
[*]https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Surround-Theater-Speaker-System/dp/B003VAK1FA/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=7.1+computer+speakers&qid=1620349020&sr=8-6
[*]I'm not sure what this is- also 5.1?

[*]https://www.amazon.com/Acoustic-Audio-Goldwood-5-1-Channel-AA5210/dp/B01HUCV680/ref=sr_1_14?dchild=1&keywords=7.1+computer+speakers&qid=1620349020&sr=8-14
[*]I see these are all 5.1
[*]7.1 must be very rare now

[*]On B&H I found these but they only do HDMI so would not work with my sound card.

[*]https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... html/specs

[*]https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... html/specs

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

Show off your work

07 May 2021 03:21

So I swapped out the side right channel and the side left channel, it was the side right channel that wasn't working but when I swapped them it now works, but the side left channel now doesn't work.  So apparently all the speakers are fine, it's the 3.5mm jack on  the subwoofer for the side right speaker that has gone bad.  What to do now?  Would this work?

3.5 mm audio splitter connects 2 headsets or speakers to 1 jack
Offers an easy way to connect 2 mini stereo speakers to your iPod
Features one male 1/8 inch miniplug and two female 1/8 inch ends
Works well as an earphone splitter for your laptop
Backed by Belkin's lifetime warranty 

So using this I could attach both speakers to the side left jack and they should both work but both will get the same sound?  Would that mean loss of functionality or audio quality or maybe since the two speakers are far apart I will still get directional cues and surround sound quality wont be impacted even with the splitter?

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer

Show off your work

12 Jul 2021 07:30

Another great hike. Sunrise on top of Sauk Mountain, just above a dense cloud layer. When I began climbing that morning I saw the mountain shrouded in overcast, and thought "Whelp. Either I'll be in the clouds the whole time and it will be miserable, or the top will be just poking through and it will be spectacular." I took the gamble and was lucky. :)

► more

Challenger
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

Show off your work

15 Jul 2021 05:44

Another great hike. Sunrise on top of Sauk Mountain, just above a dense cloud layer. When I began climbing that morning I saw the mountain shrouded in overcast, and thought "Whelp. Either I'll be in the clouds the whole time and it will be miserable, or the top will be just poking through and it will be spectacular." I took the gamble and was lucky. :)

► more
Looks like a shot from The Lord of the Rings. Incredible landscape! You were great at capturing the right moment for the photo.

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Show off your work

19 Jul 2021 05:46

Since I moved a bit uphill with a view many years ago, low clouds have been something which never fails to fascinate.  It can be really nice to look out of the window in the morning to discover that the city is gone and replaced by a white plain or desert changing every minute.  Here's a little collection of timelapses I've made over the years:
► Show Spoiler
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

Show off your work

19 Jul 2021 09:00

Mother of Pearl clouds!  Those are very rare- how often do you get to see them there?

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Show off your work

19 Jul 2021 10:05

Mother of Pearl clouds!  Those are very rare- how often do you get to see them there?
A few times a year here, usually between December and February.  They typically form over the mountains.
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer

Show off your work

20 Jul 2021 13:10

Since I moved a bit uphill with a view many years ago, low clouds have been something which never fails to fascinate.
I never get tired of it. My favorite experience is ascending through the layer, whether by climbing or on a plane. Popping through the dark grey ceiling to suddenly discover a bright sunny day and have the endless expanse of clouds beneath feels like entering another world.

Amazing captures of the nacreous clouds. The timelapse of their movement really helps illustrate how they form in a similar way to lenticular clouds -- just much higher. The clouds are stationary while the air goes through them, forced by the terrain below.

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Show off your work

21 Jul 2021 04:27

I never get tired of it.
The only thing I might dislike about it, is that in winter if there isn't a lot of snow, such inversion might be bad for the snow conditions. It might be -10C or colder in the valley, but +5C above the clouds.
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer

Show off your work

15 Oct 2021 02:58

Continuing from something demonstrated a while back here, a few people on the Space Engine discord have photographed the spectra of the Sun and various streetlights, using simply a CD to split the colors. I have been surprised by how well they can turn out, even surpassing the quality in the example I had shown. This one for instance is a high pressure sodium lamp, photographed by Spacer:

which I've also converted to a graph here:
► Show Spoiler
More impressive still, this can even reveal much of the absorption spectrum of the Sun (the Fraunhofer lines)
► Show Spoiler

WastReal
Observer
Observer

Show off your work

07 Nov 2021 12:24

Hello Everyone! I'm Karol and I'am a music producer called "WastReal" I will want to show You my work that i made with music video created in Space Engine onto one of my released works. Please Enjoy and comment me what You think. :)
KNWCW

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer

Show off your work

21 Nov 2021 19:09

Nice bright "false Sun" caused by a sun pillar ice halo today. The actual Sun is below the horizon. 

Khorrah
Explorer
Explorer

Show off your work

29 Nov 2021 02:41

► more
This looks beautiful
Hello, I LOVE lasagna and Space Engine. ♥

My Specs: Intel Core I5 12600K, Corsair Vengeance Pro SL 32GB, MSI Z690-A WIFI DDR4, GIGABYTE NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3070 AORUS MASTER 8G.

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer

Show off your work

06 Jan 2022 04:29

More snow crystal photography, following from the discussion in the Science/Astronomy videos thread. The temperature is a bit warmer tonight and the snow is mostly needles or small sectored plates. No dendrites (sad). On the upside, I'm getting a little better using the loupe with my cell phone to get closeups, and I found some fairly pretty ones.

Context: a typical fresh snow surface. Mostly sugary chunks of plates and long thin needles.

Beauty shots:

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Show off your work

11 Feb 2022 07:50

Last week I did my second attempt to mount cameras at a mountain site in southern Norway 1846 masl.  In the first attempt the cameras were crushed by flying ice during a storm after three weeks.  What I put here must endure winds up to 50 m/s, temperatures down to -30C and flying chunks of ice.  This time I made a steel dome outside the original acrylic dome for extra insulation, cutting out holes for the cameras.  And I added insulation between the domes to channel the heat from the cameras and electronics out where the cameras look, and I also added 25W of heat through a heat belt placed between the steel dome and the insulation.  The steel reached more than 80C when I tried it indoors, but how will it work in one of Scandinavia's toughest climates?  I also planned to add extra heat cables, but I ran out of time that day.

After nine days exposed to the elements this is what it looked like:
► Show Spoiler
Which is not bad considering that it was between 10 and 25 m/s wind and foggy 80% of the time during those days.  Most of the cameras still had some clear view, less than 50% of the view had been covered up.  The lump below the dome base has formed around the network connector and might engulf the dome eventually if not removed, but that is easy to fix by wrapping an extra heat cable below dome.  Then maybe cables can be strapped across the dome, between the cameras, though I'm not sure how well they can be kept in place.

It's interesting to see how the ice finds a seed for growth and then expand.  Most of the time these lumps of ice will be blown off before the ice can grow over the entire dome, I think, and it likely happened several times over the 9 days.  Some days the cameras did not have any view (it was foggy anyway), and suddenly the next day the ice could be gone.

The cameras have already captures some nice meteors.  Here a couple from last night;

Nice afterglow
Flashing meteor 
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI