Ultimate space simulation software

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer

Totally off-topic thread

19 Jun 2020 00:24

PS I had a little chuckle at how the site made your last sentence appear, the way it displayed that sentence made about as much sense as dividing by 0! 
It rendered it exactly the way I intended. :)  A happy face is just as good a symbol for a variable as x or y.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

Totally off-topic thread

22 Jun 2020 07:10

PS I had a little chuckle at how the site made your last sentence appear, the way it displayed that sentence made about as much sense as dividing by 0! 
It rendered it exactly the way I intended. :)  A happy face is just as good a symbol for a variable as x or y.
Yes I know :) but my chuckle was for the literal text of "happy face"- it reminded me of how some online translators can be way too "literal!"

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

Totally off-topic thread

28 Jun 2020 18:28

that class action bayer/monsanto lost, people think that giving up 10 billion dollars is a lot, but it isn't, it gets divided among 100,000 people who got cancer from round up, so it's only 100,000 per person and thats before the govt takes its cut....it should have been 100 billion which is the price for which bayer paid to buy monsanto, at least the cancer victims would have gotten 1 million each before govt took its cut

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer

Totally off-topic thread

01 Jul 2020 14:56

[youtube]DPK3S4ZtJJI[/youtube]

Mr. Abner
World Builder
World Builder

Totally off-topic thread

01 Jul 2020 23:51

Nice.

That is still one remarkable building.

JackDole
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Totally off-topic thread

02 Jul 2020 01:44

If I think about it, the district of Dubai with the Burj Khalifa looks almost like a science fiction city. Only the flying cars are missing.
Dubai.jpg
JackDole's Universe 0.990: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=546
JackDole's Archive: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=419
JackDole: Mega structures ... http://old.spaceengine.org/forum/17-3252-1 (Old forum)

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

Totally off-topic thread

02 Jul 2020 16:25

The Jetsons was not supposed to be a reality until 2062- looks like it is going to happen much earlier than that.

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer

Totally off-topic thread

05 Jul 2020 03:05

Neighbors setting off their July 4th fireworks down below, which mostly end up exploding directly in my view. No complaints from me. :)

► More

DoctorOfSpace
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Totally off-topic thread

05 Jul 2020 03:55

Very nice, fireworks are a tricky thing to take pictures of and you nailed it.
CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X @5Ghz - RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 - GPU: MSI RTX 40​90 GAMING ​TRIO 24G
Quando omni flunkus, moritati

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

Totally off-topic thread

06 Jul 2020 03:13

I especially love the 3D effect from the background ;-) and the background itself!  And no special camera mode used, Wat?
Setting off personal fireworks is illegal in NY, and one of the things that was mentioned was the toxicity of the metals used that produce those brilliant colors (lead was mentioned, and I believe mercury also?)  So it's good to let the pros handle them!

As for Dubai, can we use that as a model for making futuristic cities in SE?

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer

Totally off-topic thread

06 Jul 2020 03:43

And no special camera mode used, Wat?
Nope. Almost all of my photography is done in manual mode shooting. 
and one of the things that was mentioned was the toxicity of the metals used that produce those brilliant colors (lead was mentioned, and I believe mercury also?)  
There should not be significant amounts of lead or mercury in fireworks (except for those novelty "snakes" which are essentially the mercury thiocyanate chemistry reaction.) Neither lead or mercury produce good colors that cannot be produced by other elements, anyway. For example, strontium is used to make red. Sodium for yellow. Barium for green. Brilliant bright white is from magnesium. And so forth. You can easily look these all up or experiment for yourself with a flame test. :)

Wherever fireworks are illegal, the main reasons are because of being disturbing to others (especially in more urban settings; respect thy neighbor), and from a safety standpoint of potentially causing injury when misused, or starting fires. Personally I find the latter ridiculous. It is sad that there are too many people who cannot be trusted to use fireworks safely. I'm not much concerned about my health from the smoke, either, as it is very quickly dispersed in the air, especially from shells that explode up high.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

Totally off-topic thread

07 Jul 2020 06:01

And no special camera mode used, Wat?
Nope. Almost all of my photography is done in manual mode shooting. 
and one of the things that was mentioned was the toxicity of the metals used that produce those brilliant colors (lead was mentioned, and I believe mercury also?)  
There should not be significant amounts of lead or mercury in fireworks (except for those novelty "snakes" which are essentially the mercury thiocyanate chemistry reaction.) Neither lead or mercury produce good colors that cannot be produced by other elements, anyway. For example, strontium is used to make red. Sodium for yellow. Barium for green. Brilliant bright white is from magnesium. And so forth. You can easily look these all up or experiment for yourself with a flame test. :)

Wherever fireworks are illegal, the main reasons are because of being disturbing to others (especially in more urban settings; respect thy neighbor), and from a safety standpoint of potentially causing injury when misused, or starting fires. Personally I find the latter ridiculous. It is sad that there are too many people who cannot be trusted to use fireworks safely. I'm not much concerned about my health from the smoke, either, as it is very quickly dispersed in the air, especially from shells that explode up high.
That's good to know, Wat.   I remember researching emission/absorption lines when I was looking into different light pollution filters and what elements emit what colors of light when burned!  Strontium red is very famous, as are sodium yellow and mercury red vapor lamps! Magnesium is highly reactive to water and creates the most brilliant white I've ever seen!  Even more fascinating for me are the links between these elements and the colors of stars and nebulae and their chemical makeup.

We had illegal fireworks going on in the city and a 6 yr child who was watching from a window in his apartment got burns on his face because the firework actually came inside the apartment he was watching from.  Another case I remember well is a few days ago a woman was throwing fireworks at a group of people who were walking on the sidewalk.  She just stopped her car in the middle of the street and got out and tossed lit fireworks at them!  She didn't even know them- it was some random thing.  On a personal note I was driving during the early evening of July 4th to see a fireworks show and I drove by this store where they had wood piled up in the front and the guy who runs the store was doing his own private fireworks display and as I drove by he (accidentally) dropped the fireworks and they lit up on the ground right next to my car....he apologized, it was an accident.  Not very safe though.

Interesting thing about lead, I was watching a report on the Flint crisis and a pediatrician said "no amount is safe."  She analyzed the results of the lead crisis there years later and found that 80% of the children who had been exposed to lead in their drinking water suffered from cognitive decline (and only 10% passed a reading test they were given.)  There should be some major lawsuits there as the problem was ignored for many years- the officials didn't do anything even when it was shown to them that the water was corroding engine parts!  The doctors have developed a highly interesting method for determining exactly when the children ingested the lead and in what amounts- they analyze their teeth.  It even works in utero as the fetus has baby teeth when still inside the mother, and lead was even found in these teeth.  It was a hockey stick graph!  They compared it to tree rings, in how teeth record the history of everything that the child is exposed to.  Highly interesting report and well worth the watch!
We also had a lead problem in our region, in Newark.  It's taken many years to get a handle on, but we're finally making some headway.
Here's the thing on Flint I watched:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/flint-wate ... 020-07-05/

and

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/flint-wate ... 020-03-12/

The second link has the quote from the doctor "There are no safe levels of lead because lead is an irreversible neurotoxin."

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer

Totally off-topic thread

05 Aug 2020 02:50

I suppose most have heard this news by now...

[youtube]k51L0MkRO8E[/youtube]

Just awful. Eerily similar to the 1947 Texas City disaster (also caused by about 2000 tons of ammonium nitrate). Or for that matter, Oppau in 1921, and many other examples. When will people stop storing massive quantities of highly explosive materials so close to major population centers?  And can the year 2020 stop being so crazy?

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Totally off-topic thread

05 Aug 2020 03:26

It's the same stuff used in the 2011 Oslo bombing, but about 3000 times as much of it.  The 2011 bomb was a massive thing, very noticeable even though I was 10 km away behind a hill.  To store this stuff in that quantity in a city is insane.
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

vlad01
Pioneer
Pioneer

Totally off-topic thread

05 Aug 2020 04:29

Am I missing something but doesn't it need to be combined with a fuel to be explosive? My understanding is ammonia nitrate is just an oxidizer?