Ultimate space simulation software

Cantra
Pioneer
Pioneer

Totally off-topic thread

21 Apr 2020 14:30

Let's try to revive this a bit. How is everyone doing? 
Just a random user on the internet, nothing to see here.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

Totally off-topic thread

22 Apr 2020 11:40

Happy Earth Day.  Learn to live sustainably instead of adding more pollution to the planet.  This pandemic should teach you some lessons, things some of us have been talking about for years, and others are finally starting to see the light.

Cantra
Pioneer
Pioneer

Totally off-topic thread

22 Apr 2020 16:45

I also hope this pandemic encourages us humans on this planet to be more concerned about the environment and to pursue better sources of energy, and to find more sustainable living styles. 
Just a random user on the internet, nothing to see here.

Mr. Abner
World Builder
World Builder

Totally off-topic thread

23 Apr 2020 09:18

Welcome to Earth. You must be new here...

;)

earth
Astronaut
Astronaut

Totally off-topic thread

02 May 2020 17:45

this is a star
Attachments
Star.sc
(173 Bytes) Downloaded 366 times

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

Totally off-topic thread

07 May 2020 12:32

I heard that a new black hole was found by the ESA......it's the closest black hole to earth that we've found (1,000 LY from us) and is part of a multicolored triple star system.....is it already in SE or will someone (JD lol) design a script for it and any possible planets in the system?  Thanks!

JackDole
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Totally off-topic thread

09 May 2020 01:15

I heard that a new black hole was found by the ESA......
Here it is.
scr00883.jpg
QVTelesscopii.pak
(1.66 KiB) Downloaded 467 times
(Search for 'QV Tel' or 'HR 6819'.)
But it will already be included in the next update of SpaceEngine.
JackDole's Universe 0.990: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=546
JackDole's Archive: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=419
JackDole: Mega structures ... http://old.spaceengine.org/forum/17-3252-1 (Old forum)

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

Totally off-topic thread

12 May 2020 14:59

I heard that a new black hole was found by the ESA......
Here it is.
scr00883.jpg
QVTelesscopii.pak(Search for 'QV Tel' or 'HR 6819'.)
But it will already be included in the next update of SpaceEngine.
Thank you, JD!  Is it in the update I installed today (1810)?
And what will happen if I have it there and I also install your update?  Will I be able to use both at the same time?  Also is this for both 0980e and 0990?

JackDole
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Totally off-topic thread

13 May 2020 00:42

Is it in the update I installed today (1810)?
Yes.
And this version is the same as in my .pak file.
So you better not install my .pak file. (To save space on the hard drive.  :) )
JackDole's Universe 0.990: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=546
JackDole's Archive: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=419
JackDole: Mega structures ... http://old.spaceengine.org/forum/17-3252-1 (Old forum)

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

Totally off-topic thread

13 May 2020 12:47

Is it in the update I installed today (1810)?
Yes.
And this version is the same as in my .pak file.
So you better not install my .pak file. (To save space on the hard drive.  :) )
haha thank you JD!  the new update looks BEAUTIFUL but alas it is running a little slow for me on my 1060 6 GB card at 1280x1024 resolution (I see the circular icon on the top right when I load planet surfaces, I can move around and see surface details but the circular icon means everything isn't completely loading?  It is the same on all planets I visit.  I will try to lower my resolution to 720P and see if that fixes it.)

I set it to 1200x800, seems to be okay for now.

earth
Astronaut
Astronaut

Totally off-topic thread

14 Jun 2020 09:44

what is 0/0

miniluv73
Space Pilot
Space Pilot

Totally off-topic thread

14 Jun 2020 10:25

"Imagine that you have zero cookies and you split them evenly among zero friends. How many cookies does each person get? See? It doesn’t make sense. And Cookie Monster is sad that there are no cookies, and you are sad that you have no friends."
-Siri, 2017
"I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here."
Arthur C. Clarke, 1996

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

Totally off-topic thread

16 Jun 2020 10:49

"Imagine that you have zero cookies and you split them evenly among zero friends. How many cookies does each person get? See? It doesn’t make sense. And Cookie Monster is sad that there are no cookies, and you are sad that you have no friends."
-Siri, 2017
0/0 should be 0 when you put it that way.....it's when you put an integer in the numerator that the answer becomes undefined (or infinity, depending on how you look at it.)

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer

Totally off-topic thread

17 Jun 2020 04:35

0/0 is an indeterminate form, meaning you can define an operation that is equivalent to dividing zero by zero in many different ways, and it can give you any answer that you like. What you get depends on the "strength" of each zero, in the following and very handwavy sense which might make a mathematician cringe. A stronger zero in the numerator makes it act like "zero divided by a nonzero number", which gives you zero. A stronger zero in the denominator acts like "a nonzero number divided by zero", which gives you +/- infinity. "Equal strength" of zeros acts in some ways like cancelling, and can give you a finite nonzero number.

Example: define a function f(x) = sin(x)/x.  Plug in x=0, and this is 0/0.  But if you look at values of x that are arbitrarily closer and closer to x=0, then you find outputs f(x) that get arbitrarily closer to 1.  Indeed, the limit of this function as x goes to zero is 1. Using the very handwavy but useful way of thinking about it: this is because sin(x) acts like x for values of x very close to 0, which makes the function sin(x)/x near x=0 look like x/x which is 1. We can also easily modify this to make the limit equal to any number that we want.  Simply multiply the sine function in the numerator by that number.

Another example: define a function f( :)) =  :)[sup]2[/sup]/(ln( :) + 1).  In this case, too, when  :)=0, we have 0/0.  But happy face squared grows more rapidly than the natural log of happy face, so the "zero in the numerator is stronger", and this limit is 0.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

Totally off-topic thread

18 Jun 2020 17:03

0/0 is an indeterminate form, meaning you can define an operation that is equivalent to dividing zero by zero in many different ways, and it can give you any answer that you like. What you get depends on the "strength" of each zero, in the following and very handwavy sense which might make a mathematician cringe. A stronger zero in the numerator makes it act like "zero divided by a nonzero number", which gives you zero. A stronger zero in the denominator acts like "a nonzero number divided by zero", which gives you +/- infinity. "Equal strength" of zeros acts in some ways like cancelling, and can give you a finite nonzero number.

Example: define a function f(x) = sin(x)/x.  Plug in x=0, and this is 0/0.  But if you look at values of x that are arbitrarily closer and closer to x=0, then you find outputs f(x) that get arbitrarily closer to 1.  Indeed, the limit of this function as x goes to zero is 1. Using the very handwavy but useful way of thinking about it: this is because sin(x) acts like x for values of x very close to 0, which makes the function sin(x)/x near x=0 look like x/x which is 1. We can also easily modify this to make the limit equal to any number that we want.  Simply multiply the sine function in the numerator by that number.

Another example: define a function f( :)) =  :)[sup]2[/sup]/(ln( :) + 1).  In this case, too, when  :)=0, we have 0/0.  But happy face squared grows more rapidly than the natural log of happy face, so the "zero in the numerator is stronger", and this limit is 0. 
Wat, this is like having a big black hole in the middle of mathematics!   Intuitively I see why it would "seem" to approach 1, because for any value of x which isn't 0, x/x equals 1.  But because of the special nature of "0" you get this singularity in mathematics that makes me question whether we should even consider 0 a number and not just a placeholder for <no value> in that column.  I also believe that the "number line" should be replaced with the "number loop" or the "number spiral"- studying tangent graphs is what inspired me to think this way.

PS I had a little chuckle at how the site made your last sentence appear, the way it displayed that sentence made about as much sense as dividing by 0!  "But happy face squared grows more rapidly than the natural log of happy face, so the "zero in the numerator is stronger", and this limit is 0. "