Ultimate space simulation software

Banana
Astronaut
Astronaut

Sci-Fi (and other genre) Movies & TV Series

22 Sep 2018 19:24

Star Trek, probably. So far I've only seen TOS and most of TNG, but I found them very interesting! 
Bananas are eggcellent.

An'shur
Space Pilot
Space Pilot

26 Sep 2018 10:22

How dare I forget to mention Predator and Alien franchises? I haven't seen the new Predator movie yet though.

Rassilon
Observer
Observer

26 Sep 2018 11:31

Mostly the old TV shows
Doctor WHO
Space 1999
Jason of Star Command
Lost in Space
V
Star Trek TOS & TNG

Movies:
Star Wars series
Explorers
Last Starfighter
Battle Beyond the Stars
Krull
Dune
Windows 10 Pro: 64bit
i5 3470 CPU @ 3.20 Ghz: 8 Gig DDR3
Gigabyte GT 1030 @ 2 Gig Vram: DirectX 12

Stellarator
World Builder
World Builder

27 Sep 2018 02:03

I haven't seen the new Predator movie yet though.
You mean the new one that came out this year (2018)? Spare yourself and take it from someone who has seen ALL predator movies (including AVP), and acknowledges their flaws, but still loves them: it's complete garbage. It starts weird and disjointed and seems desperate to mimic the far superior comics and better prequels. Plus it makes little sense within the greater story line, as it ties into none of the precursors in any meaningful or logical way.

Yeah, I know you probably heard the same critiques before, and I'm just another disgruntled fanboy screaming into the wind, but seriously, only AVP 2 was worse. Unless you REALLY like wasting your time on bad wannabe slasher movies, skip The Predator. 
Futurum Fusionem

An'shur
Space Pilot
Space Pilot

27 Sep 2018 04:33

I haven't seen the new Predator movie yet though.
You mean the new one that came out this year (2018)?
Yes, that one. Thanks for input. I guess I'll see for myself soon.

Voskhod_02
Observer
Observer

30 Sep 2018 10:35

I really enjoyed 2001 : A Space Odyssey, the first Solaris movie, the Star Wars movies and Interstellar.

However, reality is behaving like one hell of a SF universe these days : I recently came accross [url=https://tranio.com/articles/how-the-blo ... rket_5405/]these[/url] [url=https://tranio.com/articles/how-self-dr ... rket_5386/]articles[/url] on a site I had to consult at work, and look at that : currencies like Bitcoin based on "Internet magic" and collective trust buying million dollar villas, self driving cars reorganising the entire consumer society around them... It looks like the future that awaits us is neither massive space exploration nor a complete collapse, but rather a cyberpunk-style one.

Voskhod_02
Observer
Observer

23 Oct 2018 12:08

Okay, first attempt didn't work, I hope it will this time. Here's the first [url=https://tranio.com/articles/how-the-blo ... rket_5405/]article[/url], and [url=https://tranio.com/articles/how-self-dr ... rket_5386/]here's[/url] the second one... 

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

23 Oct 2018 15:56

Voskhod_02, your links will not work until you reach a given number of posts, being a newly registered user you have some limitations, like editing for example. And linking.

Please, don't post off-topic links, because that's what they look like to me. There's a Totally off-topic thread that, maybe, is more fitting.

See Forum rules
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
| My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80 | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 12gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram |

Stellarator
World Builder
World Builder

01 Nov 2018 01:44

Hmm, the more I watch it, the more I like the movie Gattaca. As far as space-themed movies go, you couldn't get more grounded and bleak. It is set in the not-so-distant future (with E-Cars! How's that for predictions?) when eugenics and designer-babies are vogue. Not to spoil the story for those who haven't watched it (which they REALLY should), but it's storyline I found compelling and relatable.

The storyline's protagonist wanted to become an astronaut since he was little, but after growing up was told he could not, because he had health issues and the astronaut corps. were only accepting genetically-superior people. His subsequent journey towards his life-long dream speaks worlds to me, and is specifically poignant in these days, when it can seem like the the whole world is stacked against you when you are trying for self-actualization.

The ending actually brought tears to my eyes.
Futurum Fusionem

N0B0DY
Explorer
Explorer
Topic Author

23 May 2019 12:03

I recently watched a low budget version of interstellar. Not bad considering the low budget. I especially enjoyed the spagetification effects of the poor convict woman while falling inside the event horizon of the black hole.
Also looking forward to this:
► Show Spoiler
MSIX299MB,[email protected](8C/16T),[email protected](CL16),GTX1080Ti@11GBGDDR5X,OS:WIN10x64@2xSSDSATA3RAID0

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

07 Jun 2019 06:17

Worst sci-fi plot ever? (Not to mention worst understanding of how gravity works)

[youtube]_lsOwtKNsAA[/youtube]
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

N0B0DY
Explorer
Explorer
Topic Author

07 Jun 2019 12:19

Worst sci-fi plot ever? (Not to mention worst understanding of how gravity works)
Haha I started watching this a few weeks ago and couldn't stand to watch it until the end.. The Chinese have a lot of fantasy - I thought Hollywood was 1st but the Chinese have surpassed it by far. The visuals were not that bad though (for made in China lol). Of course Space Engine 0.990 is faar better :)
MSIX299MB,[email protected](8C/16T),[email protected](CL16),GTX1080Ti@11GBGDDR5X,OS:WIN10x64@2xSSDSATA3RAID0

Stellarator
World Builder
World Builder

07 Jun 2019 22:22

Worst sci-fi plot ever?
Yes. Very much so. This saddened me because there have been a few original and well-thought out fantasy movies made by the Chinese in the past - but of late their movie industry has taken a nose-dive.
Futurum Fusionem

kiletein
Observer
Observer

08 Jun 2019 02:41

I’ve seen an awful lot of science fiction movies over the course of my viewing life, and it’s impossible for me to pick just one. In more or less chronological order, here are my favorites:
[b][i]War of the Worlds[/i][/b] - There was an awful lot of schlock science fiction (think [i]creature features)[/i] put out in the ‘50s. George Pal’s 1953 production of H.G. Wells story was on an entirely different level and is arguably the best science fiction film of that decade. Wells’ heirs were so impressed with the film that they offered Pal the film rights to any other of Wells’ work he cared to use. The film also won the 1954 Academy Award for best special effects.
[b][i]2001 a Space Odyssey[/i][/b] - I first saw this remarkable film in New York City in 1968, shortly after its initial release. I remember walking out of the theater thinking “Finally, someone has made the film that us science fiction fans have been praying for for years!” It, too won the Academy Award for best visual effects, plus a Hugo award for director Stanley Kubrick and a host of other nominations. To this day it remains one of the most influential science fiction films ever made.
[b][i]Star Wars, a New Hope[/i][/b] - I was working on a construction project in Morgantown, West Virginia in 1978 when Star Wars came to the local theater. I went to kill a Sunday afternoon with no idea that I would be watching the birth of an icon. You can watch it on cinema apk. Sitting in the theater listening to John Williams’ magnificent score for the first time, when that huge Imperial Dreadnought chases the fleeing Alliance ship across the screen I thought to myself “I’m gonna like this movie,” and like millions of others, I did. The special effects may be a bit dated today, but at the time it was like nothing anyone had ever seen before.
[b][i]Alien[/i][/b] - “[i]The Thing[/i]” in space. The advent of the battered, scruffy spaceship meme and the birth of one of science fiction’s truly badass heroines - Ellen Ripley. The fact that the alien itself was one very scary monster was an added bonus.
[b][i]Galaxy Quest[/i][/b] - A genuinely funny, good-natured spoof of and homage to[i] Star Trek [/i]and the fan culture the series spawned. The superb cast has a great time gently skewering the logical inconsistencies of the series and the quirks of dedicated fandom. If I had to pick one movie as the only science fiction movie I could ever watch again, it would be this one.
[b][i]Serenity[/i][/b] - The full length movie culmination of [i]Firefly[/i], what more needs to be said?

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

11 Jun 2019 16:48

How do you guys like the series The 100?  I like how the new planet they live on is actually a moon that orbits a ringed planet!  Some of the graphics look like something right out of Space Engine!  (Maybe they are lol.)  I like the new twist of eclipses driving people crazy because the plant life releases chemicals that causes people to kill each other.  And another new twist, that is very Star Gate like, that there is a parasitic intelligent species that can take over human bodies and achieve immortality by jumping from human to human!