Ultimate space simulation software

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

A very PC discussion

04 Nov 2019 11:25

5k vs 10k is the amount of hours they are rated for at 105ºc  The letters would be the type of cap, construction/material I am not sure what they are though.

Thanks, I dont think I have thermal diodes on the caps, how warm do they regularly get?  Is 50C a good temp for them if the computer is on 24/7?  Or maybe even warmer?   Is there a diode I can use to monitor them?  I have a few monitoring programs downloaded.

Also, the T Topology listing for that board means I should be able to populate 4 DIMMs with 16 GB each with no issues?  I see that the newer x570 boards are all daisy chained, so although they are rated for 32 GB per slot and 128 GB of memory total, the most they should be used for is 64 GB on 2 DIMMs, the same as mine (but with mine I can use all 4 DIMMs?)

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

A very PC discussion

04 Nov 2019 11:28

Thanks, I dont think I have thermal diodes on the caps, how warm do they regularly get?  Is 50C a good temp for them if the computer is on 24/7?  Or maybe even warmer?   Is there a diode I can use to monitor them?  I have a few monitoring programs downloaded.

Also, the T Topology listing for that board means I should be able to populate 4 DIMMs with 16 GB each with no issues?  I see that the newer x570 boards are all daisy chained, so although they are rated for 32 GB per slot and 128 GB of memory total, the most they should be used for is 64 GB on 2 DIMMs, the same as mine (but with mine I can use all 4 DIMMs?)

vlad01
Pioneer
Pioneer

A very PC discussion

05 Nov 2019 05:36

They can get warm not normally hot.  Anywhere around 50-70c I would expect in the worst case with no air flow.   I wouldn't even worry about it as the caps aren't really making heat themselves but rather getting heated indirectly from the VRM and CPU nearby.   Only the really cheap nasty boards with tiny VRMs coupled with something like a 12-16 core CPU be overheating the VRM and indirectly heat the caps to temps that are bad.

As for the boards, with T I would chuck in what ever fills the slots up. They are designed to work optimal like that. Not too sure if that means single or dual rank though?  32GB total seems to be a good sweet spot if you can do it, 64 and up makes little difference so I would save your money there, even 16GB is enough for most people at the moment.

Yeah x570 is mostly daisy as 3rd gen IMC is designed to run much faster than the previous gen CPUs so I guess they are making the most of it rather than kinda wasting potential performance, of course at the cost of capacity.

The memory support for 3rd gen has been one of it's selling points so to me it all makes sense to go the speed route over the capacity one.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

A very PC discussion

07 Nov 2019 13:22

They can get warm not normally hot.  Anywhere around 50-70c I would expect in the worst case with no air flow.   I wouldn't even worry about it as the caps aren't really making heat themselves but rather getting heated indirectly from the VRM and CPU nearby.   Only the really cheap nasty boards with tiny VRMs coupled with something like a 12-16 core CPU be overheating the VRM and indirectly heat the caps to temps that are bad.

As for the boards, with T I would chuck in what ever fills the slots up. They are designed to work optimal like that. Not too sure if that means single or dual rank though?  32GB total seems to be a good sweet spot if you can do it, 64 and up makes little difference so I would save your money there, even 16GB is enough for most people at the moment.

Yeah x570 is mostly daisy as 3rd gen IMC is designed to run much faster than the previous gen CPUs so I guess they are making the most of it rather than kinda wasting potential performance, of course at the cost of capacity.

The memory support for 3rd gen has been one of it's selling points so to me it all makes sense to go the speed route over the capacity one.
Oh okay so my board's caps are good enough to support 12-16 core cpus? :)
The interesting thing is this reddit board thread mentions that daisy chain boards might have a speed leak even if the other two slots are empty, something about them being inefficient and using energy even when not in use?

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD ... ide/4.html

I remember GPUs making the same sacrifice, of speed vs capacity.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

A very PC discussion

08 Nov 2019 18:01

Is having music playing all the time in Space Engine eventually going to blow out my Audigy sound card?  I do it for recording videos, not to listen to the music.  I have the speakers turned off but I know the sound card is still processing the music because I can record videos with it even with the speakers turned off.

vlad01
Pioneer
Pioneer

A very PC discussion

21 Nov 2019 02:59

I highly double it would.

Have you seen the 3950X reviews? Wow that is one impressive CPU. It's a stock to learn it actually uses less power than the 12 core by a few watts even with more cores and very similar clocks, in fact boost is slightly higher on the 16 core part.  Some good quality silicon it must have over the other models to achieve this.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

A very PC discussion

22 Nov 2019 12:09

It is coming out next week!  So I should be able to use it on my board?  And how much power does it use and how hot does it run compared to my 2700X?

vlad01
Pioneer
Pioneer

A very PC discussion

22 Nov 2019 16:31

Stock they peak around 130w iirc, and about 70c peak with 280mm AIO.    But stock they self "over clock" so to speak. The cooler you can run them the faster the boost and that's automatic.

You should check some reviews, I recommend gamers nexus or hardware unboxed.  Both of them look at temps and power usage as well as performance.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

A very PC discussion

22 Nov 2019 16:34

Stock they peak around 130w iirc, and about 70c peak with 280mm AIO.    But stock they self "over clock" so to speak. The cooler you can run them the faster the boost and that's automatic.

You should check some reviews, I recommend gamers nexus or hardware unboxed.  Both of them look at temps and power usage as well as performance.
Thanks, I am really excited about this new cpu and the fact that I dont have to change motherboards to get it!
Sounds like a cpu that will need water cooling.

vlad01
Pioneer
Pioneer

A very PC discussion

22 Nov 2019 16:47

AMD do recommend an AIO liquid cooler but the fact is it uses slightly less power and runs almost 10c less than the 12 core 3900x which comes with an air cooler means you can get away easily with just a decent air cooler on the 3950X.

hardware unboxed also found that it can run fine on even a decent B450 board with a vrm that is typically smaller than x470.

vlad01
Pioneer
Pioneer

A very PC discussion

23 Nov 2019 18:43

Just purchased a MSI x470 gaming M7 AC board from ebay USA, it was literally the only place I could find these boards, none on amazon or new egg and definitely none in Australia. They are said to be new but open box items so sold at a discounted price, hope it's alright, still I got them as cheap as the gaming plus costs here which is an entry level x470 with garbage vrms.

I went for this top end x470 as win 7 does not work with x570 due to lack of drivers. From my research people have run 7 on this board and ryzen 3000 so I know it should work. MSI have drivers for 7 on this board and it supports 3rd gen plus the higher ram speeds. 

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

A very PC discussion

24 Nov 2019 12:02

Vlad how does MSI compare to ASUS x470 gaming boards like the one I have?

vlad01
Pioneer
Pioneer

A very PC discussion

24 Nov 2019 17:31

Similar at the top end but from what I have been told Asus's bios isn't as good as it used to be, MSI are better at this stage.  Also they seem to have a lot of failures from all the reviews I read on new egg and amazon.  The top end x470 hero board was only 3 stars out of 5 becasue a lot of people complained about DOA and early failure. I was originally going to get the Asus one but got turned away because of that.

My current board is an asus one and so was the one before that and I too noticed the decline in bios features and usability. So decided to try MSI for a change and I know it supports win 7.  MSI for the x570 is terrible atm though but they were in the top for x470.  Things never stay the same I found.   I have used most brands and I found both to be better than most, Gigabyte was by far the worst I ever used lol.  I literally had one where the vrm exploded and threw shrapnel over the room haha.

But apparently Gigabyte are making the best x570 boards atm, like I said things change from generation to generation and you need to look at reviews from all places on a board by board basis. Important to look at reviews from the major PC part outlets like new egg as they give you insight to failure rates and other user issues that youtube reviews with sample of one per review won't show you.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

A very PC discussion

24 Nov 2019 18:08

Similar at the top end but from what I have been told Asus's bios isn't as good as it used to be, MSI are better at this stage.  Also they seem to have a lot of failures from all the reviews I read on new egg and amazon.  The top end x470 hero board was only 3 stars out of 5 becasue a lot of people complained about DOA and early failure. I was originally going to get the Asus one but got turned away because of that.

My current board is an asus one and so was the one before that and I too noticed the decline in bios features and usability. So decided to try MSI for a change and I know it supports win 7.  MSI for the x570 is terrible atm though but they were in the top for x470.  Things never stay the same I found.   I have used most brands and I found both to be better than most, Gigabyte was by far the worst I ever used lol.  I literally had one where the vrm exploded and threw shrapnel over the room haha.

But apparently Gigabyte are making the best x570 boards atm, like I said things change from generation to generation and you need to look at reviews from all places on a board by board basis. Important to look at reviews from the major PC part outlets like new egg as they give you insight to failure rates and other user issues that youtube reviews with sample of one per review won't show you.
I had to do a lot of BIOS tweaking.  I think the failures might have been due to overvoltages.  The board overclocks rather aggressively and needs to be tuned properly.  I spent two hours doing that as well as deleting a bunch of ASUS monitoring software that black screens the computer and makes it unresponsive and in need of a hard restart (meaning turning off the power supply.)  It's worth it in the end but takes a lot of time to do.   I also had to redo all the fan profiles because the fans roar like vacuum cleaners thanks to this very aggressive overvoltage and overclock.   Do you think the failure rates were due to all these issues?

vlad01
Pioneer
Pioneer

A very PC discussion

24 Nov 2019 19:34

I'm not sure, it could be.  But DOA is a bit of concern.