Ultimate space simulation software

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer
Topic Author

General global warming / climate change discussion

15 Mar 2021 01:03

They stated that just because it is "renewable" doesn't mean it doesn't pose environmental hazards.  Here in NY/NJ we keep it well offshore and are more reliant on hydro.
"Renewable" is abused as a sign of something good for the environment, but renewability is independent og that. "Sustainability" is a much better word, with which as a metric nuclear will score far better than wind and solar.  Wind and solar have their niches, but are not suited for large scale deployment for environmental reasons.  Offshore isn't much better than on land.  It's mainly to keep it out of sight for most people.  It's still a danger to wildlife, birds in particular, unreliable, expensive, in conflict with fishery, and have waste issues.
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

16 Mar 2021 00:57

They stated that just because it is "renewable" doesn't mean it doesn't pose environmental hazards.  Here in NY/NJ we keep it well offshore and are more reliant on hydro.
"Renewable" is abused as a sign of something good for the environment, but renewability is independent og that. "Sustainability" is a much better word, with which as a metric nuclear will score far better than wind and solar.  Wind and solar have their niches, but are not suited for large scale deployment for environmental reasons.  Offshore isn't much better than on land.  It's mainly to keep it out of sight for most people.  It's still a danger to wildlife, birds in particular, unreliable, expensive, in conflict with fishery, and have waste issues.
We have that issue here, lots of bird accidents (we also get that with airplanes flying in, unfortunately the airports are right near the water!)  Sustainability is definitely the more appropriate word to use as that looks to the future, so nuclear scores much more highly there.  Strange that we were having this conversation in the 80s too, and not much progress has happened since then.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

16 Mar 2021 01:00

err it's more than just carbon emissions lol, it's also about the generation of toxic NO2 which is the number one shortener of life on this planet (even beyond tobacco smoking), pollution from NO2 shortens life by an average of 2 years, while tobacco shortens life an average of 1.5 years.  air pollution from dirty fuel powered vehicles is the number one killer on the planet.

and a proper diet is also important, eat less meat (or even better NO meat) and more plant-based and it is much better for you and for the planet.  also walking (or biking) is a lot healthier than driving and in many cities, it actually takes longer to get there when driving (not to mention the NO2 pollution driving a dirty fuel powered vehicle generates and the resultant higher rates of asthma.)
Containing global warming requires more radical solutions. Of course, give up superconsumption, buying unnecessary and unnecessary things, equipment for an environmentally friendly home, and much more.
well those better (higher structured) homes and more EV autos are now being built, so progress is happening even if slowly.

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer
Topic Author

17 Mar 2021 03:00

well those better (higher structured) homes and more EV autos are now being built, so progress is happening even if slowly
Both homes and cars move more and more to electricity, which itself doesn't change much.  What it means is that the energy production gets more centralised.  Rather than being produced locally (in homes and cars), the energy gets produced in the power plants.  That makes it easier to make a transition from one energy source to another.  And more important to select the right energy source.
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

18 Mar 2021 01:03

well those better (higher structured) homes and more EV autos are now being built, so progress is happening even if slowly
Both homes and cars move more and more to electricity, which itself doesn't change much.  What it means is that the energy production gets more centralised.  Rather than being produced locally (in homes and cars), the energy gets produced in the power plants.  That makes it easier to make a transition from one energy source to another.  And more important to select the right energy source.
It also reduces the production of NO2 which is responsible for air pollution and higher asthma rates near big cities.  The centralization is also important as there is much less of an impact where people live and work.

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer
Topic Author

18 Mar 2021 03:57

It also reduces the production of NO2 which is responsible for air pollution and higher asthma rates near big cities.  The centralization is also important as there is much less of an impact where people live and work.
True.  It centralises the pollution, which makes it more manageable.  In general, air pollution in major cities around the world has plummeted since the 80's.  The current generation can enjoy much better air than the previous.
The electrification, though it introduces some vulnerability since it relies more on the infrastructure, is an important preparation in solving the energy problems, but the actual steps still need to be taken.
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

21 Mar 2021 03:11

True.  It centralises the pollution, which makes it more manageable.  In general, air pollution in major cities around the world has plummeted since the 80's.  The current generation can enjoy much better air than the previous.
The electrification, though it introduces some vulnerability since it relies more on the infrastructure, is an important preparation in solving the energy problems, but the actual steps still need to be taken.
Yep, I thought Bill Gates understood it pretty well when he mentioned that as well as the important rule nuclear needs to play here.  Quite honestly, getting all nations on board with nuclear energy should be our top priority.  Even nations like Iran.

Challenger
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

23 Mar 2021 06:18

The air may have become cleaner thanks to lower emissions, but the amount of garbage produced is relentlessly killing thousands of animals and birds. Maybe somewhere the air is cleaner, but we are destroying our ecosystem systematically.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

24 Mar 2021 01:35

Yes cleaning up our plastic problem is going to be a big undertaking.

Salvo
Pioneer
Pioneer

24 Mar 2021 15:06

In the company where I work we're doing a lot of work to reduce plastic, for example in the coffee room there is basically no sign of plastic anymore. Water is collected through one's own personal flasks and the coffee is served in paper cups.

Still, at home, I'm surrounded by plastic. Every single product my parents (or I) buy from the supermarket contains plastic, and sometimes there is a sub-packaging too! We're not using disposable cutlery anymore, but on that thing it's a long way to go...

I'm trying to recycle as much as I can using separate collection (hoping that the plastic I'm dumping will be used to be recycled), but actually there is nothing else I could do, except not buying anything (?). I mean, we shouldn't demonize plastic too, if we could manage to recycle the 90% or more we would keep a constant mass of it and we wouldn't fill our oceans.
The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 570 RAM: 8 GBs

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

25 Mar 2021 02:48

In the company where I work we're doing a lot of work to reduce plastic, for example in the coffee room there is basically no sign of plastic anymore. Water is collected through one's own personal flasks and the coffee is served in paper cups.

Still, at home, I'm surrounded by plastic. Every single product my parents (or I) buy from the supermarket contains plastic, and sometimes there is a sub-packaging too! We're not using disposable cutlery anymore, but on that thing it's a long way to go...

I'm trying to recycle as much as I can using separate collection (hoping that the plastic I'm dumping will be used to be recycled), but actually there is nothing else I could do, except not buying anything (?). I mean, we shouldn't demonize plastic too, if we could manage to recycle the 90% or more we would keep a constant mass of it and we wouldn't fill our oceans.
I like plant based plastic, if we could switch to plant based everything our world would be a much much better place.  Plant based would be biodegradable and we can make a lot of wonderful things that way.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

24 Apr 2021 17:04

Biden held a world conference for Earth Day and it was pretty good to get a bunch of world leaders together.  He said he wants a 50% cut in emissions by 2030, carbon neutral by 2050 and all electric cars by 2035 which should save us about 2.7 trillion dollars.

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer
Topic Author

25 Apr 2021 13:53

That sounds what politicians have been doing in Europe for many years.  They set all kinds of targets that look good on paper, but without a practical plan for how it will be achieved.  Politicians tend to think that outcomes can simply be written in a resolution and the job is basically done.  Rather, politicians must find the right actions and the outcome is what it will be, and what their actions will be judged by.
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

25 Apr 2021 16:15

That sounds what politicians have been doing in Europe for many years.  They set all kinds of targets that look good on paper, but without a practical plan for how it will be achieved.  Politicians tend to think that outcomes can simply be written in a resolution and the job is basically done.  Rather, politicians must find the right actions and the outcome is what it will be, and what their actions will be judged by.
Yes meanwhile all this could've been done decades ago.  Yesterday, I also learned that President Jimmy Carter had plans for a widespread nuclear power network as well as an early framework for what became the Paris Climate Treaty, way back in the late 70s.  If he had had a second term he could've implemented it, instead we got a former Hollywood actor as president who was so old he developed Alzheimers in his second term.
It's a less extreme version of how advanced we might have been had the Romans not been so interested in conquest and Archimedes been allowed to live.  And we know how the Romans always loved to alter the telling of history to favor themselves (which is what they did with Carthage when they exterminated them.)
https://www.famousscientists.org/archimedes/
Immersed in the scientific culture of Ancient Greece, Archimedes blossomed into one of the finest minds our world has known. He was the Einstein of his time, or perhaps we should say that Einstein was the Archimedes of his time.
An Annoying Mathematician Ignites Curiosity Far into the Future

Two thousand years after Archimedes’ time, during the Renaissance and 1600s, mathematicians looked again at his work.

They knew Archimedes’ results were correct, but they couldn’t figure out how the great man had found them.

Archimedes was very frustrating, because he gave clues, but did not reveal his full methods. In truth, Archimedes enjoyed teasing other mathematicians. He would tell them the correct answer to problems, then see if they could solve the problems for themselves.
A Real Life Indiana Jones Style Discovery

The mystery of Archimedes’ mathematics wasn’t solved until 1906, when Professor Johan Heiberg discovered a book in the city of Constantinople, Turkey. (The city is now, of course, called Istanbul.)

The book was a Christian prayer book written in the thirteenth century, when Constantinople was the last outpost of the Roman Empire. Within Constantinople’s walls were stored many of the great works of Ancient Greece. The book Heiberg found is now called the Archimedes Palimpsest.

Heiberg discovered that the book’s prayers had been written on top of mathematics. The monk who wrote the prayers had tried to remove the original mathematical work; only faint traces of it remained.

It turned out that the traces of mathematics were actually copies of Archimedes’ work – a momentous discovery. The Archimedes text had been copied in the 10th century.

Archimedes Revealed

The book contained seven treatises from Archimedes including The Method, which had been lost for many centuries.

Archimedes had written The Method to reveal how he did mathematics. He sent it to Eratosthenes to be lodged in the Library of Alexandria. Archimedes wrote:

“I presume there will be some current as well as future generations who can use The Method to find theorems which we have not discovered.”

And so by reading The Method, twentieth century mathematicians learned just how far ahead of his time Archimedes was and the techniques he used to solve problems. He summed series; he used his discoveries in physics – the law of the lever, and how to find centers of gravity – to discover new theorems in pure mathematics; and he used infinitesimals to do work as close to integral calculus as anyone would get for 1,800 years.

Archimedes died during the conquest of Syracuse in 212 BC when he was killed by a Roman soldier.
Cicero at Archimedes' Tomb

Cicero at Archimedes’ Tomb. Painting by
Benjamin West

He was buried in a tomb on which was carved a sphere within a cylinder. This was his wish, because he believed his greatest achievement was finding the formula for the volume of a sphere.

micasmith
Observer
Observer

12 Feb 2022 04:02

I think the researchers mentioned that the melting of the Antarctic ice sheet is much faster than anticipated and that's why they changed their numbers- as well as the fact that the actual sea level rise is on the higher end of the expected spread. Found a proving recent acticle about this on world news