Ultimate space simulation software

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer
Topic Author

Unusual weather

08 Mar 2021 05:52

Lightning in heavy snow has a pretty special sound.  Just a short "boom", then silence.  No rumble, no echo.  Or just the flash, no sound at all even if the lightning was just a few km away.  Snow is a good absorber of sound!
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer

Unusual weather

08 Mar 2021 09:57

A-L-E-X wrote:
Source of the post Wow that sounds dangerous, did you have to shelter in place, Wat?  4 inches per hour is something I wouldn't want to be caught outside in!

It was fine. I was back in my car and starting to drive down before conditions got too bad. Of course, the biggest concerns would be getting caught outside in lightning, or having an accident on the drive out. But the road is quite well maintained, and chains help a lot. 

4 inches per hour does add up fast, though. I don't mind being out in such a snowfall, just be prepared to dig the vehicle out. :)

midtskogen wrote:
Source of the post Lightning in heavy snow has a pretty special sound.  Just a short "boom", then silence.  No rumble, no echo.

Yes, the sound is amazing! There's an eerie and slightly apocalyptic feel to it.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

Unusual weather

10 Mar 2021 01:30

Yes, I think the heavy snow muffles the sound of the lightning?!  Every time I hear it I get both excited and surprised.  Excited because I know it means that a big outburst of snow is to follow and surprised because that sound always surprises me because I just haven't heard anything like that ever before.  I've heard thunder rain, thunder freezing rain, thunder sleet.....but nothing is like thunder snow!  And those heavy snowfall rates make for some of the most photogenic moments that weather has to offer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/January_2 ... nt_reviews

The super el nino storm of January 2016 a true blizzard was the last time I witnessed this, over 30 inches of snow fell here in 24 hours

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer

Unusual weather

15 May 2021 18:35

Caught another ice halo display the other day. Nowhere near as good as the pyramidal crystal display here last summer, but this is probably the best so far this year.

► Show Spoiler

Charlotte Bridge
Observer
Observer

Unusual weather

11 Jun 2021 00:17

Watsisname wrote:
Caught another ice halo display the other day. Nowhere near as good as the pyramidal crystal display here last summer, but this is probably the best so far this year.

► Show Spoiler

Really amazing spectacle! I also watched it once, of course it is better to see in in your own eyes. Also I saw triple rainbow last year, I will try to find pictures I made and add here 8-)
“Across the sea of space, the stars are other suns.”
― Carl Sagan