Ultimate space simulation software

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer
Topic Author

Unusual weather

21 Feb 2017 12:42

In the totally off-topic thread I mentioned the avalanche risk over here today and my decision to stay away from all slopes.  Hours later another avalance hit the town.  Luckily, no-one was killed or injured, but this is very sad for this community. Parts of the town have now been evacuated (the evacuation zone is only 50m from were I'm staying), and since there was an even larger avalanche in almost the same place just one year ago, the question must be asked whether people can live in these parts at all.
To avoid avalanche areas I had taken my kids for a hike to an open area instead of our original plans, and we were returning going through the town when the avalanche it.  I dropped off one kid and some gear at our place and headed for the site 200m away.  A lot of people were rushing to the site with shovels, and with nothing I soon felt useless and left.  The avalanche hit two buildings, seriously shifted one and made a hole through it.

Some video that I shot today.
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

Xoran
Pioneer
Pioneer

Unusual weather

21 Feb 2017 13:08

In the totally off-topic thread I mentioned the avalanche risk over here today and my decision to stay away from all slopes.  Hours later another avalance hit the town.  Luckily, no-one was killed or injured, but this is very sad for this community. Parts of the town have now been evacuated (the evacuation zone is only 50m from were I'm staying), and since there was an even larger avalanche in almost the same place just one year ago, the question must be asked whether people can live in these parts at all.To avoid avalanche areas I had taken my kids for a hike to an open area instead of our original plans, and we were returning going through the town when the avalanche it.  I dropped off one kid and some gear at our place and headed for the site 200m away.  A lot of people were rushing to the site with shovels, and with nothing I soon felt useless and left.  The avalanche hit two buildings, seriously shifted one and made a hole through it.
Must be scary to live in a place like that, at least i would not want to live there. At least it has a lot of snow up there :) It must be insane to see something like that :)
Also nice video! I really love when you can see the snow in the wind, like at 00.07 to 00:16.
Space is too big to understand, so do not try to understand.

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Unusual weather

21 Feb 2017 19:09

Since just about one month ago an avalanche destroyed a spa resort in Gran Sasso area, and there were only 11 survivors, fortunately 4 of them were kids, your post made me shiver. Wow, I'm glad you and your kids were in an unaffected area.
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
| My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80 | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 12gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram |

DoctorOfSpace
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Unusual weather

21 Feb 2017 20:26

I am rather enjoying the weather, more so than I did earlier, here in midwest the weather has been in the upper 40sF, 50s, and 60s.  The future of global climate change is ok by me if winter goes away ;)
CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X @5Ghz - RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 - GPU: MSI RTX 40​90 GAMING ​TRIO 24G
Quando omni flunkus, moritati

PlutonianEmpire
Pioneer
Pioneer

Unusual weather

21 Feb 2017 20:29

I'm a snow lover. Them's fightin' words, Doc. ;) :lol:
Specs: STGAubron desktop PC; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060/PCIe/SSE2 12 GB Vram, Intel Core i7-8700 3.2 GHz, 12 cpus; 32 GB RAM; Windows 11 x64

DoctorOfSpace
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Unusual weather

21 Feb 2017 20:58

I spent the last 9 years living in South Florida, kinda got used to spring and summer all year.  Last May I moved back up north to work on some stuff with my brother, not a fan of winter and I could live without it. 
CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X @5Ghz - RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 - GPU: MSI RTX 40​90 GAMING ​TRIO 24G
Quando omni flunkus, moritati

JackDole
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Unusual weather

22 Feb 2017 04:55

not a fan of winter and I could live without it.
This is the reason, because the climate change can not come fast enough. :|

Unfortunately, however, I live in an area that is probably flooded when the poles melt away. :?
JackDole's Universe 0.990: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=546
JackDole's Archive: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=419
JackDole: Mega structures ... http://old.spaceengine.org/forum/17-3252-1 (Old forum)

Xoran
Pioneer
Pioneer

Unusual weather

22 Feb 2017 10:22

This is the reason, because the climate change can not come fast enough.
No. Climate change can not come slow enough. Remember that climate change is not only warm weather, but more unstable weather. And don't even get me started on how many animal species will die as a result of climate change, and even if an animal species survive, it's existence will probably be threatened.
I'm a snow lover.
Me too :)
Since just about one month ago an avalanche destroyed a spa resort in Gran Sasso area, and there were only 11 survivors, fortunately 4 of them were kids, your post made me shiver. Wow, I'm glad you and your kids were in an unaffected area.
So 24 people, or around two-thirds of the 35 people entrapped died?
Space is too big to understand, so do not try to understand.

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer
Topic Author

Unusual weather

22 Feb 2017 16:04

I'm glad you and your kids were in an unaffected area.
Thanks, and we consciously avoided any risky areas including the affected street, but I was still as chocked as anybody else.
After a deadly avalanche 14 months ago, which destroyed 11 houses (including the one I stayed in for the solar eclipse nearly two years ago), an avalanche warning system was implemented.  But the sad thing is that experts evaluated the situation twice in the 24 hours before yesterday's avalanche, and hours before they issued a warning about high avalanche risk, but also explicitly saying that avalanches wouldn't be large enough to reach populated areas.  Obviously, they were wrong.  So the confidence in the warnings has now taken a serious blow.  What now seems most likely is that all the outermost buildings will be permanently abandoned and left as they are to serve as a buffer protecting buildings below, since the warnings can't be fully trusted.
Perhaps they underestimated the amount of snow, and didn't fully consider the possibility of an avalanche starting as high in the mountain as was the case.  Avalanches in the lower part of the slope are frequent, which don't have a far reach, but something starting this high hasn't been seen before.
The wind calmed down later in the day which improved the visibility so the avalanches could be seen.  There was one wide (to the left in the picture below) which was in agreement with the warning: likely, but would not reach the town, and a second (to the right, but started even higher up outside the picture frame), which was note foreseen.
► Show Spoiler
Looking at the weather data, the highest 10 minute wind speed average reached 20.3 m/s, gusting to 28.4 m/s, measured around the time I shot some of the video clips that I posted.  Visibility sometimes dropped to less than 10 meters.  The place we stayed at looked like this after the storm:
► Show Spoiler
1080p version of the video (some struggle to play the original 4K video)
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer

Unusual weather

22 Feb 2017 17:19

Very nice footage -- there is something I find strangely fascinating about the pure elemental fury of winter.  Sad to lose that part of town like that, but perhaps it's the best choice in terms of safety and a relief that this time nobody was hurt or killed.  Glad you and the family are doing okay!

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Unusual weather

22 Feb 2017 17:54

So 24 people, or around two-thirds of the 35 people entrapped died?
29 people at the end. The area was under the most severe snow storm old people could remember.
Now it seems that the resort was in fact placed where it shouldn't have been, since there were signs of ancient landslides in the same spot. As it happens most of times, an unfortunate chain of circumstances lead to the tragedy.
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
| My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80 | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 12gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram |

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer
Topic Author

Unusual weather

23 Feb 2017 01:59

there is something I find strangely fascinating about the pure elemental fury of winter
Yes, it has its own beauty and force.  Many people are attracted to it.
Also fascinating over here to hear how such weather closes down schools, etc.  In this particular storm the school was open of course and kids walked to school as usual, alone.  And in Norway the children are not allowed to stay indoors between classes.  But, after the avalanche, the children weren't allowed to walk home, they had to be driven home, because the pedestrian road goes through an avalanche risk area.

EDIT: Having gone from 78N to 61N the weather has improved and we're finally enjoying some normal weather for our winter break. :)
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer

Unusual weather

08 Mar 2017 23:44

Wow.  We've had 120 inches (3 meters) of snow here in the last 8 days and more still coming.  Up to 6 meters of depth at the ski area, and probably double to triple that in the higher elevations.  Hoping to get up there for a snowshoe this weekend if the avalanche risk isn't too bad.

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer
Topic Author

Unusual weather

09 Mar 2017 00:06

Isn't showshoes instead of skis pretty frustrating when going downhill or if you get to an area of compact snow?
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer

Unusual weather

09 Mar 2017 01:38

I enjoy either -- getting out in the snow in any form is a good day. :)  In this case I'm going with a group using shoes, and with the snow being deep powder from the last storm I'm not sure if skis would be much better anyway.