Ultimate space simulation software

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer

Unusual weather

22 Nov 2021 11:57

Unfortunately, the cameras went offline one by one this afternoon.  The footage shows that the dome was hit by something, most likely a lump of ice.
Why does this feel so much like the tension in a science fiction / horror movie?  :P  The Yeti are real!

Would something like a metal shield installed a short distance away in the direction of the tower be a viable solution? It would mean losing some of the sky, but perhaps a fair trade for avoiding big ice chunks blown directly into the cameras. Then again, ice accumulation on that shield might create another problem...

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

Unusual weather

28 Nov 2021 10:25

First snowfall of the season here, only a dusting but I thought it was noteworthy.  By the time I woke up it had already melted, but I found this on Twitter

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer
Topic Author

Unusual weather

29 Nov 2021 01:59

The storm that destroyed our mountaintop meteor camera recently was quite severe.  This image showing some of the forest damage it caused is pretty telling.  Not only did it cause big losses in timber value, but the aftermath work is going to be expensive:
x.jpg
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

Unusual weather

29 Nov 2021 16:05

Wow, a big ice storm, Mid?  RIP to your poor meteor camera I hope you can replace it.

Arigato
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

Unusual weather

30 Nov 2021 05:45

If not the trucks at the bottom, I'd think it was grass or some moss.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

Unusual weather

14 Dec 2021 04:32

We have to talk about what happened the other night, possibly over 100 dead and the longest tracked tornado (over 250 miles?!) in recorded history?  And in December?  Is this the most anomalous weather event in US history?

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer
Topic Author

Unusual weather

15 Dec 2021 04:01

Yes.  How likely is this in December?  Damage correlates much to whether it hits a populated area or not, for which a tornado has no preference (apart from that a long track increases the probability that a populated area will be hit).  So to describe the tornado, we need the atmospheric data.
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

Unusual weather

15 Dec 2021 05:32

Yes.  How likely is this in December?  Damage correlates much to whether it hits a populated area or not, for which a tornado has no preference (apart from that a long track increases the probability that a populated area will be hit).  So to describe the tornado, we need the atmospheric data.
Never had this kind of tornado before in this country in December, much less an outbreak of 40 of them, several of them tracked long distances.  The particular one under question covered 9 states.  There was something disgusting that happened along with it, there were 110 people working at a candle factory and they wanted to quit work and go home and shelter when the first sirens went off but their managers told them they would be fired if they left and so they had to stay (some left anyway) and that building collapsed on them.  So we need to factor this in also (and the fact this happened late at night.)

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer
Topic Author

Unusual weather

15 Dec 2021 06:15

Never had this kind of tornado before in this country in December
The southeastern part has a second tornado season in November and December:
x.jpg
See Tornado seasonality in the southeastern United States.
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer
Topic Author

Unusual weather

16 Dec 2021 14:19

NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

Unusual weather

17 Dec 2021 01:16

That's correct but but by "this kind" I actually meant a strong tornado (EF3 or higher) as well as long track (100 miles or more).  The list they displayed on TV included a total of 5 tornadoes in the state of Kentucky that filled that description and 4 of the 5 were in either April or May and there was 1 in August from what I remember.

Oh and yesterday they were talking about Minnesota's first ever tornado in December

Glad I don't live in those places.

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer
Topic Author

Unusual weather

11 Jan 2022 14:27

Parts of Norway are now bracing for some very unusual weather.  An atmospheric river is expected to dump extreme amounts of precipitation over 48 hours, up to 200 - 300 mm in some places, and rain is expected as high as 1200 masl.  Such amounts of rain in a short time combined with snow melt will result in extreme flooding.  This is the 24 hour forecast for the 13th of January:
x.png
At my side of the mountains it will be dry, but we can expect some serious Foehn winds late on the 13th raising the temperature to +8 or +9 °C which is a lot in January:
y.png
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

Unusual weather

11 Jan 2022 23:43

Wow what is the cause of this, Mid?  I thought these atmospheric rivers mostly happened in the Pacific and needed a feed from the Tropics?

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer

Unusual weather

12 Jan 2022 02:31

Parts of Norway are now bracing for some very unusual weather.  An atmospheric river is expected to dump extreme amounts of precipitation over 48 hours, up to 200 - 300 mm in some places, and rain is expected as high as 1200 masl.  Such amounts of rain in a short time combined with snow melt will result in extreme flooding. 
Sounds extremely similar to what happened here back in November. A heavy atmospheric river with warm temperature and high snow levels in winter is a perfect recipe for flooding. For us it was roughly a one in 100 year flood event. Fingers crossed it won't be as bad in Norway.
I thought these atmospheric rivers mostly happened in the Pacific and needed a feed from the Tropics?
Atmospheric rivers are common over all mid-latitude oceans connected to the tropics. They tend to move eastward and poleward. A good way to visualize them is by total precipitable water, like the loop below from 2019 (or you can go here for current data.) In this loop you can see several of them. They are normal, though global warming is expected to make them warmer and wetter, so areas that tend to get them (and especially when they normally fall as snow in the mountains) may expect more extreme flooding events in the future.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

Unusual weather

13 Jan 2022 01:15

Thanks Wats, I think this eventually impacts the entire CONUS because those storms eventually move east and we've had a significant increase in precipitation since about 2000 here on the east coast too.