Ultimate space simulation software

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer

Unusual weather

22 Nov 2021 09:57

midtskogen wrote:
Source of the post Unfortunately, the cameras went offline one by one this afternoon.  The footage shows that the dome was hit by something, most likely a lump of ice.

Why does this feel so much like the tension in a science fiction / horror movie?  :P  The Yeti are real!

Would something like a metal shield installed a short distance away in the direction of the tower be a viable solution? It would mean losing some of the sky, but perhaps a fair trade for avoiding big ice chunks blown directly into the cameras. Then again, ice accumulation on that shield might create another problem...

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

Unusual weather

28 Nov 2021 08:25

First snowfall of the season here, only a dusting but I thought it was noteworthy.  By the time I woke up it had already melted, but I found this on Twitter

https://twitter.com/falf0x/status/1464980746804809733

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer
Topic Author

Unusual weather

28 Nov 2021 23:59

The storm that destroyed our mountaintop meteor camera recently was quite severe.  This image showing some of the forest damage it caused is pretty telling.  Not only did it cause big losses in timber value, but the aftermath work is going to be expensive:
x.jpg
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

Unusual weather

29 Nov 2021 14:05

Wow, a big ice storm, Mid?  RIP to your poor meteor camera I hope you can replace it.

Arigato
Observer
Observer

Unusual weather

30 Nov 2021 03:45

If not the trucks at the bottom, I'd think it was grass or some moss.