Ultimate space simulation software

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

Science and Astronomy News

21 May 2021 05:46

This is a pretty amazing discussion on the quantum nature of time
Possibly, but paywalled.
I actually have the full article in my email, am I allowed to post it?  For the sake of discussion - it's pretty interesting and talks about a quantum theory of time emerging from quantum gravity.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

31 May 2021 02:32

The center of our galaxy newly imaged by NASA-- this is where all the action is ;)

https://www.theguardian.com/science/202 ... e-downtown

Charlotte Bridge
Observer
Observer

01 Jun 2021 09:53

The center of our galaxy newly imaged by NASA-- this is where all the action is ;)

https://www.theguardian.com/science/202 ... ay-image-d
Seems like I have a new wallpaper on my screen ;) Thank you for sharing such womnderful image. It is exciting that noe humanity has possibility to get such pictures  :)
“Across the sea of space, the stars are other suns.”
― Carl Sagan

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

01 Jun 2021 18:44

https://www.theguardian.com/science/202 ... ay-image-d
Seems like I have a new wallpaper on my screen ;) Thank you for sharing such womnderful image. It is exciting that noe humanity has possibility to get such pictures  :)
Yes and I was pleasantly surprised to see that Space Engine is very similar to this view.  I charted a 12 hour trip to the center of the galaxy from Earth and made a video about that and it looks very much like this!

Charlotte Bridge
Observer
Observer

02 Jun 2021 06:39

Yes and I was pleasantly surprised to see that Space Engine is very similar to this view.  I charted a 12 hour trip to the center of the galaxy from Earth and made a video about that and it looks very much like this!
I would love to watch your video if it possible? 12 hours isn't too short?  :P Maybe you have other interesting articles, photos related to share? 
― Carl Sagan

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

02 Jun 2021 08:40

I would love to watch your video if it possible? 12 hours isn't too short?  :P Maybe you have other interesting articles, photos related to share? 
I made it 12 hours because that is the maximum Youtube allows and it lets you to view the "scenery" as it zooms by.  I did some faster videos too (anywhere from 1-4 hours) but it seems like everything zooms by too quickly, especially for long intergalactic voyages.  Those work better when flying over a planet.  Unfortunately, I have to directly control the flight because if I get busy elsewhere it will crash me into the planet or fly me off into space.  With the intergalactic voyages it just goes in the direction you point it towards, the only thing you have to do is calculate the speed you need to set it to to get it there in the amount of time that you want the video to run for. (In my case 12 hours.)  So for example, I did a voyage from Earth to the far edge of the galaxy, while passing through the central supermassive black hole.  I set the speed to 2.2 light years per second to get it there in just under 12 hours.  Then I did a voyage from Earth to the Andromeda Galaxy and through its other side which was set to 65.1 light years per second to get it there in under 12 hours.  It's interesting because this gives you a scale of the universe and how far apart everything is from each other.
I have a Youtube channel, but first I must upload these videos.  I used OBS and the videos are around 10 GB each which is a really nice file size for a 12 hour video at 720P.  Youtube's limit is either 12 hours or 20 GB whichever is smaller, so I could probably increase the resolution to 1080P and still be able to do 12 hour videos!  (Edit: the voyage to Andromeda video is actually 15 GB, I guess that one is larger because of the greater distance traveled and more densely packed background full of galaxies.)

I will also upload an "intermediate" video I made awhile back where I went to the center of the galaxy in about 6 hours and then found a planet that is part of a binary star system where the other star is a black hole.  I found a lake and beach on the planet from where to view a beautiful sunset with brilliant star clusters popping into view as soon as the primary sun went down!  So the first 6 hours was the travel time and the last 2 hours was sitting at the beach viewing the sunset and the star clusters.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGxVyu ... IoUZareTsw
I have the 1-4 hour planetary videos up right now, but the 12 hour intergalactic voyage videos and the 8 hour star cluster beach sunset video should be up there soon (depending on how long it takes to upload them lol.)

I also set my own personalized sound tracks for the videos, which consist of my 10 favorite movie and tv series sound tracks (science fiction and fantasy.)

Charlotte Bridge
Observer
Observer

03 Jun 2021 03:37

Alex, that is outstanding journey! I will definetely check all your videos, I have already started watching it! Now I know what I will do in my spare time  :) Also there is pleasant, relaxing music, exactly what I prefer to listen after stressful day. 
― Carl Sagan

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

03 Jun 2021 11:03

Thank you!  I tried to use music I like and not necessarily all with the space theme.  But I think it is fitting for the videos, as there is much more to space than just space travel, there is a sense of awe and spirituality about it, a magnificence that is beyond the capacity of humans to understand, which the music captures well.

I've actually changed up the order of the songs to be even more suited to the videos, so the new ones going up by the end of the weekend should be even better :)  Stay tuned!

An issue I ran into is that I actually have much more sound track than 12 hours, probably even more than 24 hours (about 8 GB or 256 songs/albums) so I had to reorder everything in order of priority, but I think I have it all worked out now.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

04 Jun 2021 02:33

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/03/us/p ... tagon.html

U.S. Finds No Evidence of Alien Technology in Flying Objects, but Can’t Rule It Out, Either
A new report concedes that much about the observed phenomena remains difficult to explain, including their acceleration, as well as ability to change direction and submerge.

June 3, 2021
WASHINGTON — American intelligence officials have found no evidence that aerial phenomena witnessed by Navy pilots in recent years are alien spacecraft, but they still cannot explain the unusual movements that have mystified scientists and the military, according to senior administration officials briefed on the findings of a highly anticipated government report.

The report determines that a vast majority of more than 120 incidents over the past two decades did not originate from any American military or other advanced U.S. government technology, the officials said. That determination would appear to eliminate the possibility that Navy pilots who reported seeing unexplained aircraft might have encountered programs the government meant to keep secret.

But that is about the only conclusive finding in the classified intelligence report, the officials said. And while a forthcoming unclassified version, expected to be released to Congress by June 25, will present few other firm conclusions, senior officials briefed on the intelligence conceded that the very ambiguity of the findings meant the government could not definitively rule out theories that the phenomena observed by military pilots might be alien spacecraft.

Charlotte Bridge
Observer
Observer

10 Jun 2021 04:26

With knowledge human has now - it is hard to believe that we can see signs of alien technologies somewhere near us :? If they are - I think they are just out of reach for the present. 
What about other news: mostly we hear news from NASA and ESA, but I want to share with you UK aerospace news. They have very interesting ideas and projects. Personally I was amazed by their technologies which ai,ed not only at space exploration, but also at caring for the environment on Earth. Pleasant to know that my recycled waste can somehow help in such big goals :P
― Carl Sagan

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

11 Jun 2021 15:12

Most such UFO videos from aircrafts appear to be illusions of some kind.  Like parallax effects and misjudged distances, which can make the object (birds or whatever) appear to have insane speed.  It's hard to tell from the videos alone, but if we had the speed, altitude, focal length and other data of the camera, it would have been possible to narrow down to a few solutions, and most likely one of them would be something quite mundane.

Now the number of cameras in the world has hit the billions.  The cameras, if not recording, are just a few seconds away in a pocket.  If such UFO's were alien visitors, we would have plenty of evidence.

Life is pretty rare in the universe by the count of worlds.  Advanced civilisations extremely rare.  First we need to figure out how rare life is.  The key to do that probably is the study of the atmosphere of exoplanets.
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

13 Jun 2021 01:04

Most such UFO videos from aircrafts appear to be illusions of some kind.  Like parallax effects and misjudged distances, which can make the object (birds or whatever) appear to have insane speed.  It's hard to tell from the videos alone, but if we had the speed, altitude, focal length and other data of the camera, it would have been possible to narrow down to a few solutions, and most likely one of them would be something quite mundane.

Now the number of cameras in the world has hit the billions.  The cameras, if not recording, are just a few seconds away in a pocket.  If such UFO's were alien visitors, we would have plenty of evidence.

Life is pretty rare in the universe by the count of worlds.  Advanced civilisations extremely rare.  First we need to figure out how rare life is.  The key to do that probably is the study of the atmosphere of exoplanets.
I wonder how many are military operations of other nations, like the objects seen to accelerate very quickly and making right angle turns on a dime as well as the ones diving into the sea and coming back up.  It seems like the US military is worried China and Russia have developed some new kind of technology they do not have access to.  Besides visual observations, they are also talking about radar detection and infrared, which makes me think it may be the devices of another nation, meant to do eavesdropping.  That would be a reason they are seen near military installations.  I cannot imagine why a sentient alien species that had managed to cover the light years of distance it would take to get here would care about our military.

On the other hand, I firmly believe all life aside from basic unicellular life will eventually go extinct.  So complex life may be rare not because it never develops, but because it exists for only a brief window of time, geologically and astronomically speaking.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

26 Jun 2021 02:17

New ancient species of human discovered.

The best part is reading about how the fossil skull was rediscovered

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

28 Jun 2021 03:59

https://supermanalexthegreat.wordpress. ... ntum-time/

quantum time article on my blog

also loved this

https://www.universetoday.com/148291/th ... han-earth/

Life began about 700 million years after the Earth’s formation. But eons more time was required for complex multicellular life to evolve. Given more time, evolution has more opportunities to try out ways of doing life. It’s unclear what the optimal time for complex life to evolve is, but you want as much time as you can get before the core of the planet cools or the parent star exhausts its fuel. In addition, too much time increases the chance a given planet is subjected to random cataclysmic events like comet impacts. The authors select an age of 5-8 billion years vs Earth’s 4.5 billion.
With these conditions, we arrive at a superhabitable planet:
  • Terrestrial planet orbiting within the habitable zone of a K class dwarf parent star – vs Earth’s G dwarf star
  • 5-8 billion years old – vs Earth’s 4.5 billion years
  • 1.5 times Earth’s mass and 10% larger than Earth
  • Mean surface temperature 5 degrees Celsius warmer – similar to Earth’s Carboniferous Period
  • A moist atmosphere of 25 – 30% O[sub]2[/sub] concentration – also similar to Earth’s Carboniferous atmospheric O[sub]2[/sub] concentrations (currently we are at 21%)
  • Plate tectonics resulting in the recycling of the planet’s surface nutrients and evenly distributed water and land. By virtue of active plate tectonics, the planet also likely features a rotating molten core generating a protective magnetic field
  • Hosts a large moon 1-10% the mass of the planet and orbiting at 10-100 planetary radii distance – Earth’s Moon is 1.2% Earth’s mass and orbits at about 60 Earth radii
So, are there any planets that meet the conditions!? It’s a solid…maybe. We can’t measure all these criteria from the distances we are observing with current technologies. We can’t, for example, yet determine if an exoplanet features active plate tectonics or hosts a moon. But we can measure the mass of an exoplanet, whether it orbits within the habitable zone, estimate its age, and classify the parent star. Scanning the 4000+ Kepler planets for superhabitable criteria, the authors find 24 terrestrial candidates that meet at least some of the conditions. 9 orbit K stars, 16 are between 5-18 billion years old, and 5 are within a 10 degree range of optimal temperature. Of the 24, ONE meets all the observable criteria, KOI 5715.01, which orbits a K class orange dwarf star roughly 3000 light years from Earth.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

30 Jun 2021 13:01

Wanted to post about this important PBS doc I saw the other night.

https://www.pbs.org/independentlens/doc ... nt-orange/

Besides Oregon, it’s also been found in New Jersey (Newark-Passaic River), Washington, Idaho, Montana, Northern California and several nations (Australia, Philippines, Indonesia, many others, with the same birth defects, higher cancer rates, etc. They are dumping millions of barrels of it into the ocean, that’s not really a clean up!

I dont know if you watch PBS much but I saw a very interesting documentary tonight on there, Independent Film : The People vs Agent Orange season 15 episode 22 and it's extremely sad that children of Vietnam Vets have birth defects from it and they get no benefits from the government! Not to mention children still being born in Vietnam and Laos who have some of the worst birth defects I've ever seen (being born with enlarged pancreas, bulging eyes, parts of their brains missing, limbs facing backwards, webbed fingers and toes, etc.) it's awful!  The US Govt was spraying there between 1962-1971 and was involved with burning thousands of pages of documents in 1971 when there was a large outcry and the spraying ended, but some of it was saved by whistleblowing scientists working at the Air Force and released later.   This was the largest chemical war, not WW1, and based on what happened, this was definitely a war crime, with over 500 adults and millions of children affected by horrible birth defects and/or cancer.  All they got for it was a $180 million settlement in a class action by Vets (but no benefits for their children who were born with birth defects because of their Vet dads' damaged sperm- very similar to the awful birth defects suffered in Vietnam and Laos) and the companies involved moved on with their dioxin laced 2-4,D concoction and later added glyphosate and atrazine to their toxic mix  in their Oregon spraying (they stopped 2,4,5-T spraying  since that had the highest concentrations of dioxin but it wasn't enough). The rest of it was about how it was still being sprayed in Oregon in the 70s and 80s and how there was a 50% miscarriage rate in Five Rivers, a town in Lincoln County, by a timber company to clear the brush. There were many lawsuits, the residents of the town even got threatened (either by the timber company, or Dow Chemical, they couldn't identify who the people were, just that they wore suits and followed them around and visited them and told them they need to keep an eye on their children!) that threat was later fulfilled when one of the houses there was burned down and 4 children died.....it was awful!  They showed the grave shared by the four children with the death of all four is listed as December 30th, 1977.  The state called it arson, but also an quotaccidentquot and the investigation was closed.  They finally stopped spraying when the whole state turned against them but have started using a different toxic concoction there that includes the different pesticides all combined together, which the people who sprayed are now reporting blisters in their throat and on their tongue, dead ducks in rivers and lakes, frogs with reversed limbs, a high rate of miscarriages (reported as involuntary quotabortionsquot) and children with frequent diarrhea and children born with birth defects like webbed feet and incomplete limbs or fingers/toes.  Similar to what happened in Vietnam and Laos.  Toxicity of dioxin is listed as similar to plutonium, and its half life is 2 billion years.

This stuff can be so sad and make one angry at the same time. Dow and Monsanto knew all about how toxic the chemicals they were spraying were according to their own internal documents, but to the public they were saying that they were less toxic than aspirin

The EPA was complicit in the cover up as they tried to destroy the internal documents pertaining to the chemicals but 200,000 pages of it had to be released because of a freedom of information act request and all of that was eventually uploaded by the people in the town to Poison Papers.  In addition to that the EPA was testing town residents for toxins and collecting dead and mutated animals, but the test samples mysteriously disappeared.  Yeah right.

Seeing those children with those awful birth defects and mothers with cancer in multiple organs and those companies just waiting for them to die so they wouldn't be sued was about as awful as it could ever get.

In 2017 Lincoln County got a court order to suspend spraying but in 2019 the state court of appeals overturned it saying that a county couldn't do something that went against what the state wanted to do, so the fight continues. The Vietnam case had its own lawsuit in France thats been going on for 7 years, but the chemical companies involved are trying to slow things down, they think that if all the people involved in it die from cancer and whatever else they got from the chemicals, then the lawsuit will go away.

One of the plaintiffs in the lawsuit made a great point, if corporations can be given declared quotpeoplequot by the Supreme Court then they should have to suffer the same penalties as people do when they commit crimes, and for mass murder, it should be the death penalty.  They knew it was toxic, the papers proved they knew it going back to the 60s, and instead of stopping the spraying, they chose to cover it up.  As did their buddies at the EPA.

I remember when we discussed how much better it was in the 70s and 80s, but now I doubt thats true,  I just saw the PBS documentary on how Agent Orange and Dioxin were being sprayed in Oregon in the 70s and 80s and both Dow Chemical and our own EPA were covering up its toxicity and the resulting birth defects and high rate of miscarriages there.  The residents were even being threatened for speaking up about it and four children were killed when a fire was set (possibly by people hired by Dow or the timber company that sprayed those toxic chemicals to clear the brush.)  Dow and others like Monsanto/Bayer later moved on to spray other toxic chemicals or concoctions that mixed different chemicals that still result in death of wildlife or mutations that affect both humans and other animals as well as higher rates of cancer.  A county in Oregon got it banned in 2017 but a higher court overturned that in 2019 saying the county couldn't go against the state.  I'm very skeptical of proper reform until the entire system is overturned.....the chemical industry is just as bad as the fossil fuel industry and we need changes to our political system and economic system on a very fundamental level to see any longlasting reforms.