22 Nov 2019 02:33

[youtube]wBXOtiB7Hmc[/youtube]

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer

Science and Astronomy Videos

06 Dec 2019 06:32

[youtube]AWYvmBVpU8M[/youtube]
Abstract:  The region around the Galactic Center contains a well-characterized excess of gamma rays, which has garnered great interest as a possible signal of either dark matter particles colliding and annihilating, or a previously undiscovered population of pulsars in the stellar bulge. Analyses of the photon statistics of this excess have been used to argue that the pulsar interpretation is strongly favored -- however, I will present recent work arguing that it may be premature to exclude a dark matter origin for the excess on these grounds. I will outline the history of our understanding of the excess and the arguments for various interpretations, describe the current status of the controversy, and discuss future paths forward.

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer

11 Dec 2019 21:08

[youtube]DTVqVESM0js[/youtube]

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer

24 Jan 2020 02:02

[youtube]T9rZheTHx08[/youtube]
What sets the composition of nascent planets is a fundamental question in astronomy, and one that is extremely timely considering the large number of exoplanets with very different characteristics that have been discovered in the past years. Whether these planets can host life depends directly on the composition and distribution of the gas where they form, i.e. protoplanetary disks. Thanks to ALMA we can now image the emission of key organic species at scales of ~15 au.

In this talk I will show recent ALMA observations of HCN, one of the simplest but bright N-bearing species in disks, and of its two isotopologues. HCN is of particular interest as it is thought to be the starting point for the formation of the precursors of RNA and proteins. Moreover, the N isotopic ratio 14N/15N is often used to determine the origin of the material in our solar system. However, the 14N/15N ratios varies dramatically between different solar system bodies, and the cause of this variation remains a mystery. I will then comment on the most complex N-bearing species detected in disks so far, and conclude by discussing our current efforts to constrain the chemical structure of disks in the planet and comet forming zone.

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer

30 Jan 2020 18:20

[youtube]pG44eEjYmFg[/youtube]
An excellent talk on results from the Parker Solar Probe and SWEAP!

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

03 Feb 2020 14:47

[youtube]qT110-Q8PJI[/youtube]Watsisname now "overquoted". :D
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer

06 Feb 2020 19:00

Watsisname now "overquoted".
:P
Next from CfA: a very nice lecture on the history of measurements of the masses and spins of stellar mass black holes.
[youtube]UZYkoUosYgc[/youtube]

FastFourierTransform
Pioneer
Pioneer

06 Mar 2020 04:20

Before Watsisname does it :D :P

[youtube]1rNsNXegBqo[/youtube]
[youtube]Va5FPi615jg[/youtube]

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer

26 May 2020 22:25

[youtube]tGPQ5kzJ9Tg[/youtube]

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

19 Oct 2020 11:43

I stumbled over this video, and I agree with much of what this guy has to say about the scientific publishing industry:
[youtube]PriwCi6SzLo[/youtube]
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

21 Oct 2020 14:39

I do agree with the question in the video, knowledge should definitely be free.

FastFourierTransform
Pioneer
Pioneer

16 Dec 2020 14:26

I started to watch this YouTube series about general relativity with some skepticism. The goal of the series is to give a somehow accurate view in just 8 videos (of less than 15 minutes each), with intuitive and simple examples. I watched the first two videos and thought: either he won't make it in just 8 videos or he is going to make gross oversimplifications that will pile up until nothing is more than a metaphor. Now the fourth video has been released and I think I've never seen a more clear, to the point, pedagogical and useful explanation of general relativity. I'm eagerly waiting for the rest of the series!

[youtube]xodtfM1r9FA[/youtube]

[youtube]JmSV8mISWmU[/youtube]

[youtube]3NnZzRb7L58[/youtube]

[youtube]sEDFHMLPaW8[/youtube]

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

17 Dec 2020 06:48

You should've seen Nova last night....season 46 episode 2....it was amazing!  A number of physicists at the forefront of current experimental physics were on the show including one who was measuring quantum entanglement using two quasars billions of light years apart.  Einstein's position was related, including his opposition to entanglement and the famous EPR paper, Bell's equally famous paper reviving it and this cosmic experiment that proved quantum entanglement.  At the end another physicist spoke who talked about how quantum entanglement could be the underlying basis for reality, rather than Einstein's space time and how space time may be an emergent phenomenon that results from quantum entanglement on the cosmic scale and called it the holographic theory.....

Do they have a series on quantum mechanics also?  For some reason (lol I know why) I actually prefer quantum mechanics because it rather elegantly does away with causality and intuitively, I've always felt it was correct and much more fundamental....  I've loved quantum mechanics ever since I was a child and always felt it was much closer to the truth (obviously the "truth" will have to include both.)

nebula
Observer
Observer

23 Mar 2021 03:55

[youtube]2n99q_BkKPM[/youtube]
Hello,
With two friends, we created a documentary on black holes, a subject that fascinates us. We wrote, edited, created the plans and the music for the video ourselves, video on Youtube titled BLACK HOLES: Facts, Theory & Definition, from the nebula channel. Feel free to watch it and send us your feedback!
Thank you!

FastFourierTransform
Pioneer
Pioneer

31 Mar 2021 10:12

Recently a few YouTube science videos have been released that have some outstanding visual and conceptual beauty. Some of the best ones I've ever seen in my life.

The first one is about slime mold simulation. Is from a programmed I follow but there's no need to understand the code here, just the basic rules of the game and the mechanics. The results are incredible (I will try to reproduce them with Python) and have a huge meaning for a physicist like me. Excelent examples of emergent behaviour.

By the way, the pattern generated in 15:46 could be an awesome analog for animating stellar surface granules in SpaceEngine @SpaceEngineer.

[youtube]X-iSQQgOd1A[/youtube]

This one from Veritasium goes also to the essence of Chaos and emergent properties. What a spectacle for the mind!

[youtube]t-_VPRCtiUg[/youtube]

And this one is a more modest one, but I have to say that I've never seen this path towards explaining relativistic time dilation in a physics course or textbook. Trully a masterpiece of educational content.

[youtube]5qQheJn-FHc[/youtube]