Ultimate space simulation software

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer
Topic Author

Asteroids, meteors, and meteorites

26 Jul 2021 07:10

Did you have one like this last year around this time too?
There was one in Sweden in November, which resulted in the recovery of a 14 kg iron meteorite.  This time it meteor was likely smaller, yet the airblast seems to have been stronger.
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

26 Jul 2021 07:57

Did you have one like this last year around this time too?
There was one in Sweden in November, which resulted in the recovery of a 14 kg iron meteorite.  This time it meteor was likely smaller, yet the airblast seems to have been stronger.
hmm I wonder if its composition is the reason why the airblast may have been stronger

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

28 Jul 2021 02:37

Widespread reports of a bright fireball that appeared over the central US including reports and videos out of Texas.  I wonder if this object is related to the one you mentioned, Mid?

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer
Topic Author

28 Jul 2021 05:04

I noticed.  Extremely unlikely that it's related.  These things happen many times per year somewhere in the world, but many years apart for one particular area.
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

29 Jul 2021 04:42

I noticed.  Extremely unlikely that it's related.  These things happen many times per year somewhere in the world, but many years apart for one particular area.
Right and people are noticing it more, especially with cameras being so common now and easily recorded.  It just seems unusual that so many are so bright, back in the 80s and 90s we could go years without visual sightings like the ones we have now,  but I guess that is also due to more awareness of them and more people noticing them than before.

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer
Topic Author

31 Jul 2021 17:32

This showed up in my Youtube feed:
[youtube]hA6ci2z386g[/youtube]

A collection of videos, and more or less accurate translations of news stories and things I've written or said.
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

Katherine Jennings
Observer
Observer

08 Sep 2021 09:51

In 1994, Jupiter saved humanity from a collision with a large asteroid
Jupiter is a great shield for the Earth because the fifth planet takes on almost all the blows from space
It turned out that Jupiter annually protects the Earth from many space objects, but 1994 is of particular importance for scientists because it was during this period that humanity could instantly cease to exist, repeating the history of dinosaurs, writes "News of the Eastern Ribbon".
“On July 17, 1994, an asteroid with a diameter of 1000 kilometers struck Jupiter. The impact was so powerful that it released energy equivalent to 40 trillion tons of TNT, 2 billion times the energy of the Hiroshima atomic bomb. After the impact on the surface of Jupiter, there was a temporary huge dark spot larger than Earth, ”comments NASA.
After hitting Jupiter, the asteroid shattered into many parts, which emphasizes the power of the phenomenon. Experts note that such a blow was not disastrous for a large planet, but for all living beings on Earth, it could easily become the last. This is why Jupiter remains one of the most important and studied objects in space.

It seemed that it would be interesting for those who did not know about such an incident.

Katherine Jennings
Observer
Observer

08 Sep 2021 09:54

[youtube]ZOm87M-HDPg[/youtube]
Supposedly shot a few days ago near Barybino, Moscow oblast.  Little info to be found so far.  An article, mostly nonsense, here.
When a month ago there was a meteor shower, quite by chance I was able to notice such a phenomenon.

Thank you for the video.

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer
Topic Author

23 Sep 2021 23:59

NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer

25 Sep 2021 06:32

Holy *** this is an amazing discovery, and the study seems extremely thorough. Will have to wait for tomorrow to read through it all, but looking forward to it.

FastFourierTransform
Pioneer
Pioneer

25 Sep 2021 07:47

Holy *** this is an amazing discovery, and the study seems extremely thorough. Will have to wait for tomorrow to read through it all, but looking forward to it.
Agree. That's some outstanding claim and a delightful discovery.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

26 Sep 2021 22:37

air burst so it means there would be no crater since it didn't make it to the ground?

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer
Topic Author

27 Sep 2021 03:36

air burst so it means there would be no crater since it didn't make it to the ground?
My understanding that, like in Tunguska, there is no evidence of a ground impact.  However, there could be still have been fragments reaching the ground which would leave no crater or craters small enough to get eroded away after this many years.  Such fragments themselves could have been eroded away as well, but since this is a very dry area, maybe it's worth investigating whether there are any known meteorites recovered in the area.
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

FastFourierTransform
Pioneer
Pioneer

27 Sep 2021 07:45

My understanding that, like in Tunguska, there is no evidence of a ground impact.  However, there could be still have been fragments reaching the ground which would leave no crater or craters small enough to get eroded away after this many years.  Such fragments themselves could have been eroded away as well, but since this is a very dry area, maybe it's worth investigating whether there are any known meteorites recovered in the area.
An other possibility mentioned in the article is that the crater could exist and be buried in the nearby Dead Sea. They say that erosion in this area could be quite important, floods, earthquakes and sand storms are not uncommon in this particular area.

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer
Topic Author

27 Sep 2021 23:20

An other possibility mentioned in the article is that the crater could exist and be buried in the nearby Dead Sea.
One could also argue that, but it's pretty unverifiable and since it's unlikely given the dominance of dry land in the area, such an assumption will be fitting the observations to a hypothesis.  It's not important, though, since they attempt to explain the destruction with the airblast.
I haven't read the whole thing, but a lot of people certainly will.  It's a bold claim, since the probability that such an event happened above a city is pretty low.
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI