Ultimate space simulation software

A-L-E-X
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

General questions about SpaceEngine

24 Apr 2019 15:01

SpaceEngineer wrote:
A-L-E-X wrote:
Source of the post I think you may have answered this before but will it ever become possible to show real time weather conditions on Earth using satellite images and real time landscapes on earth akin to what Google Earth shows?  I think the answer would be no because you would need to have SE connected to the internet to allow real time updates like that, but perhaps further down the road that might happen?

You asking to make a Google Earth clone. What is the point for this? SE has a different purpose: display the Universe, not focusing on Earth, or being a weather monitoring tool.

I was wondering if this could be extended to monitor weather on other planets, like Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, etc.  I read a few years ago about a snowstorm that occurs on Saturn and Jupiter has its Great Red Spot and other weather features of course.  I guess there would be no way to keep the positions of these storms on other planets relatively up to date though.

snyper1188
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

25 Apr 2019 15:46

Mosfet:

Constellations will be available in the upcoming version 0990

Ahh, I see.  I saw Anton Petrov playing with constellations back in December of last year, I assumed that he was using a previous version, come to find out it's a 0990 beta.  I'm sure the question is asked a lot, so I won't ask when the release date is, but when it does debut on steam, I will very very happily pay for it!!  I can't wait! :)  Thanks for your reply!

A-L-E-X
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

26 Apr 2019 15:58

Question, will depicting Rey's version of the constellations be offered?  When I was in 3rd grade the first astronomy book I ever read was H.A. Rey's Constellations A New Way to See Them and I found his rendition of constellations far more preferrable over the conventional rendition.  H. A. Rey really knew how to bring out the actual shapes of the objects the constellations were supposed to depict.

Also, will the outline of the constellations change from different points in space?

Mr. Abner
Pioneer
Pioneer

27 Apr 2019 10:58

A-L-E-X wrote:
Question, will depicting Rey's version of the constellations be offered?  When I was in 3rd grade the first astronomy book I ever read was H.A. Rey's Constellations A New Way to See Them and I found his rendition of constellations far more preferrable over the conventional rendition.  H. A. Rey really knew how to bring out the actual shapes of the objects the constellations were supposed to depict.

Also, will the outline of the constellations change from different points in space?

Have you checked this?
http://spaceengine.org/blog180521/

Theloic971
Observer
Observer

Work progress 0.990

29 Apr 2019 17:21

Hello Space Engineer. It was explained to me by HarbingerDawn on this forum that Space Engine simulates the photo-realistic rendering of a camera (with HDR mode for example). But what I would have liked to suggest to you (and which I suggested earlier) would be to implement as an optional option a view such that we could observe the Universe with our eyes directly.
I explained that we could, for example, see the true colors of nebulae such as the Orion Nebula, which we can see in shades of grey from Earth. This would make people aware that telescope photographs are not necessarily in the visible light domain.
And I would have liked to have your personal opinion on that point.
Thanking you in advance for all the work you are doing on this project (we can understand each other as "developers" :D)

FastFourierTransform
Explorer
Explorer

Work progress 0.990

29 Apr 2019 18:57

Theloic971 wrote:
Source of the post I explained that we could, for example, see the true colors of nebulae such as the Orion Nebula, which we can see in shades of grey from Earth. This would make people aware that telescope photographs are not necessarily in the visible light domain.
And I would have liked to have your personal opinion on that point.

There is an entire thread about that (including also Vladimir's opinion) and it has been asked in the old forum quite a few times also. The idea is that SE is centered on human-eye vision (at least in terms of wavelengths of light) and the implementation of the rest of the spectrum is extremely complicated in terms of programming and even research (think only about the multiple textures each planet would need and how would clouds shine or block light in different spectral bands, not even mentioning interstellar dust). This is at best a long term possibility for SE.

Also, this discussion has nothing to do in principle with the intensity and contrast of light sources (the HDR mode can be deactivated and you can bring brightness to human vision levels easily in SE), I assume you are just talking about color. There is also a dedicated thread to talk about the realism of the colors in Space Engine's nebulas; the reality is that they are much more colored than you might think or see through the eyepiece of your telescope, and in fact SE is trying to be quite accurate also here (even if there is a lot room for debate).

Theloic971
Observer
Observer

Work progress 0.990

29 Apr 2019 19:41

All right. Thank you very much for this answer and again sorry in this case to go over topics that have already been covered for a long time.
Seeing projects like this can only make me think (maybe a little too much) and make me want to progress in my own personal projects. I can't imagine the number of questions people ask themselves every day, and fortunately enthusiasts are there to answer them with the greatest pleasure.
So I thank you again for your explanation and hope to have the opportunity to discuss it with you one day: D

TheObserver
Observer
Observer

05 May 2019 08:54

Hi All,

I'm in the process of creating documentary film-style scenarios for SE 0.9.8.0E (mostly for my own usage at the time being), that includes information and many texts from Wikipedia.

My read me file states the following:

"All text and information in the scenarios were collected from Wikipedia for nonprofit educational purposes only.
Wikipedia content was included under FAIR USE and otherwise covered by Wikipedia's licenses CC Attribution / Share-Alike 3.0 and GFDL.
The links for the content sources are included in the CJ_Sources.txt file."

Is this something that I will be able to post as an add-on here and share with the community when it will be completed?
Or are there any possible or known legal issues that may prevent this?

Thank you in advance!
Core i5 2400 @ 3.10GHz, GF GTX 1050Ti 4GB, 8GB DDR3 RAM, CentOS 7

HarbingerDawn
SE Team Member
SE Team Member

05 May 2019 10:54

As far as I know there are no legal issues for creating an addon like that.
Ryzen 7 3700X, 64 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, GTX 1080 Ti 11 GB VRAM
Posts on old forum: 8717

PedrosKi67
Observer
Observer

05 May 2019 11:06

So , Why i dont have permission to download the 0.9.5 version? my notebook is weak so i cant download the recent version

TheObserver
Observer
Observer

05 May 2019 13:07

@HarbingerDawn
Thank you for the fast response, I appreciate it!

I'm well over 5 hours of content (more than 30000 lines of code) at the moment.
That's why I thought this would be a worthy addition for SE and a good gift to the community (and not just for my personal use).
Though it will take some weeks until I finish the whole project.
Core i5 2400 @ 3.10GHz, GF GTX 1050Ti 4GB, 8GB DDR3 RAM, CentOS 7

aRes25
Observer
Observer

06 May 2019 11:53

Hi all,

I'm a VR fan, a VR compatibility of Space Engine will be wonderfull, sure I'll buy SE on Steam ^^
My questions :
1- which VR headset will be compatible on SE Steam Edition: HTC Vive, Rift, Rift S, WMR ?
2- will VR controllers be tracked ? can we fly around and between the planets and stars like a "superman" with controllers ? I hope it will be as funny to use than Google Earth VR: an ergonomy example in VR
3- VR compatibility will be ready for SE day one Steam release ?

Thanks all ^^

HarbingerDawn
SE Team Member
SE Team Member

06 May 2019 18:40

aRes25 wrote:
Source of the post which VR headset will be compatible on SE Steam Edition: HTC Vive, Rift, Rift S, WMR ?

Vive and Rift are supported, which means Rift S should also be since Oculus claims that games that are compatible with Rift will also be compatible with Rift S.

aRes25 wrote:
Source of the post will VR controllers be tracked ?

Yes

aRes25 wrote:
Source of the post VR compatibility will be ready for SE day one Steam release ?

Yes

Mouthwash
Explorer
Explorer

Work progress 0.990

07 May 2019 07:24

How does the lighting work in SE? Most of what I've seen seems pretty well done (e.g. a planet between an orange and blue star correctly turns orange-hued and blue-hued on either side), but I'm wondering what other things are taken into account. Can stars outside the solar system have an effect? I mean, maybe it's possible in clusters, or for planemos. What about nebulae or moonlight?

HarbingerDawn
SE Team Member
SE Team Member

07 May 2019 09:12

Theloic971 wrote:
Source of the post I explained that we could, for example, see the true colors of nebulae such as the Orion Nebula, which we can see in shades of grey from Earth. This would make people aware that telescope photographs are not necessarily in the visible light domain.

The nebula is not gray though, it only appears that way to the naked eye due to the limited sensitivity of human photopic vision. A normal consumer RGB camera, which sees the same wavelengths as the human eye, does not have this limitation and will accurately record the true blue and pink colors of the nebula. This is what SE represents. Dim stars are desaturated to simulate human vision, however, and perhaps in the future more options could be added like this. One problem with depicting human vision on a typical computer display is that most LCD screens cannot show anywhere near the same range of brightnesses and colors that the human eye can see, so if you try to represent the dynamic range of the human eye on a monitor, everything will appear to be extremely low contrast and washed out. There are probably some clever techniques that could be applied to make it look subjectively good, but it would still not be accurate.

Mouthwash wrote:
Source of the post How does the lighting work in SE?

Objects are lit by up to the four brightest light sources within the same system hierarchy, be they stars, planets, or moons. Bright nearby stars, nebulae, clusters, etc. do not currently contribute to object lighting. Such things are planned though.