Ultimate space simulation software

alfa015
Astronaut
Astronaut
Topic Author

Unknown Facts About Exoplanets

27 Sep 2019 09:19

Hi!

If you are interested in exoplanets, you might want to know these little known facts about exoplanets.

Source:

1. In our stellar neighborhood there might be around 130 potentially (p.) habitable exoplanets, 10 of them being Earth-like.
  2. The closest p. Earth-like planet is called Tau Ceti e, and it is located only 12 light years away from us.
  3. So far, we have sent a targeted radio message to 2 p. habitable exoplanets, Tau Ceti e and Luyten b. Any reply would be received as of 2037 and 2041, respectively.
  4. Amateur astronomers have discovered 2 p. habitable exoplanets: LHS-1140 b and K2-288 B b.
  5. It is possible to detect exoplanets by using a tele-photo lens with an aperture of less than 50 mm.
Hope you learnt something knew!

Stellarator
World Builder
World Builder

27 Sep 2019 23:07

Why couldn't this be posted in in the Science & Astronomy Videos channel? Why does this post need a whole separate topic to itself?
Futurum Fusionem

A-L-E-X
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

28 Sep 2019 00:35

Stellarator wrote:
Why couldn't this be posted in in the Science & Astronomy Videos channel? Why does this post need a whole separate topic to itself?

Actually since habitable exoplanets are such a fascinating subject, it might be useful for them to have a topic unto themselves.  Posts in megathreads quickly get buried.   I believe alfa is a professional astronomer who does research in this field.  I like that exoplanets can be detected with a 50mm lens- I didn't know that!  I assume I can do this with my mirrorless EPL-6 camera?

alfa015
Astronaut
Astronaut
Topic Author

28 Sep 2019 10:10

A-L-E-X wrote:
Stellarator wrote:

Actually since habitable exoplanets are such a fascinating subject, it might be useful for them to have a topic unto themselves.  Posts in megathreads quickly get buried.   I believe alfa is a professional astronomer who does research in this field.  I like that exoplanets can be detected with a 50mm lens- I didn't know that!  I assume I can do this with my mirrorless EPL-6 camera?

I think you could.
Here how to do it: https://spectrum.ieee.org/geek-life/hands-on/diy-exoplanet-detector

Stellarator
World Builder
World Builder

28 Sep 2019 21:31

A-L-E-X wrote:
Source of the post Posts in megathreads quickly get buried

This is something we must all suffer, and does not justify the creation of a whole new thread for one video. If people are interested, then they will see the post in the relevant thread and respond.
Futurum Fusionem

A-L-E-X
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

03 Oct 2019 23:27

alfa015 wrote:
A-L-E-X wrote:
Stellarator wrote:

I think you could.
Here how to do it: https://spectrum.ieee.org/geek-life/hands-on/diy-exoplanet-detector

Thanks, I had a specific lens in mind, would the 40-150mm lens (f4-f5.6) be enough?  It has a 10mm aperture at wide and a 27mm aperture at full tele.