Ultimate space simulation software

SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Author of SpaceEngine
Topic Author

VR controls/UX suggestions

12 Jun 2019 06:03

As you probably know, the current version 0.990 is not well designed for VR. Basically, it have just regular SE movement controls, bound to VR controllers. Note also what tutorials are not designed to be played in VR. They are for the desktop mode. Before jumping to VR, you should be very well familiar with a basic controls. More than that, you should bind controls to you taste, and share your layout here! Or suggest completely different control scheme. How you would like to play SE in VR?

Not what the main problem is directly related with the main SE capability: a very vast distance and speed change. Google Earth VR have nice controls, but they are hardly applicable to SE. You have to change speed by orders of magnitude manually, because automatic speed will not work. It is possible to detect nearest star and decelerate flight speed, but this will be annoying if you want just fly forward through the galaxy. Or if you want to fly in a canyon: automatic speed change on approaching to the surface will be annoying.

What I plan to do:

- Attach side menus to controllers, or some equivalent of them.
- Show help bars near controller buttons with short description: "move forward", "go to" etc.

Suggest what do you think about UI and controls!

Dr. Kaii
Explorer
Explorer

12 Jun 2019 06:53

I personally think that a lot of users are going to be preferring to use gamepads over VR controllers simply because there are too many options, plus there is not much gameplay that requires "hands" yet in the simulation.

As a result, I would request that we don't neglect UI features that happen with no VR controllers. At the moment, I can't really suggest anything because it works very well, except one thing: I think we still need some sort of way to "pin" the Info of objects so they don't disappear after a set amount of seconds like they do in VR. 

With VR controllers, they could go and lock to the side of the controllers, but with an Xbox controller, where would they go? Maybe a little "pin" that can be clicked, like the side menus? 

Another feature that would really help would be button combos. Right now that's not possible for gamepad controllers so we are very limited to the number of actions we can bind. This is even worse with VR controllers with very few buttons, and wonky "gestures" etc. so if it could be used for those too, great!
i9 9900K - 5.0MHz, Palit 2080Ti, 32GB DDR4 3000MHz, Vive Pro

mrbean1112
Observer
Observer

15 Jun 2019 09:44

I think you should take a look at how Universe Sandbox handles their controls.

It's been a while since I've played it, but from what I remember it was very easy to get to 1 or 2 menus, and then select what tool you want.

I think the movement works pretty well in the current build, but getting to the menus to search for objects/solar system menu is impossible in VR. 

Dr. Kaii
Explorer
Explorer

15 Jun 2019 15:07

I think lessons can be learned from Universe Sandbox, but some of them would be "what NOT to do". It has some good ideas, but it's a VERY wonky experience.

jacrify
Observer
Observer

22 Jun 2019 21:05

Hello. Feature request - please disable the "loading" spinner that shows on the right hand side of the screen when in VR mode. It renders over the top of the VR view and is immersion breaking. A workaround is to turn the UI to "off", but then one cannot select objects, see overlay info etc.

This software is the most incredible VR experience I've ever used. I'm using it with an X52 Hotas (took a long time to get the controls to a usable state), but it is amazing. Rotating around M82 with stereobase cranked up to a couple of lightyears is just beyond words. 

One other suggestion- have a settings toggle that allows pegging stereobase to speed range- as speed range increases, depth perception adjusts to compensate for the presumably larger scale. Note it should be pegged to range not actual velocity- you want to be able to halt in intersteller space and not lose depth.  I have my X52 set up with a throttle control, and a rocker switch to move the speed ranges up and down. In general if I'm in intergalactic space I have speed range up in kilo light years, and I generally have stereobase cranked right up at that point.

SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Author of SpaceEngine
Topic Author

23 Jun 2019 02:44

mrbean1112 wrote:
Source of the post I think the movement works pretty well in the current build, but getting to the menus to search for objects/solar system menu is impossible in VR. 

Opening the Solar system browser is bound to some controller button by default. Navigating it is easy: aim the ray to the small arrow buttons in the cells, and press trigger.
jacrify wrote:
Source of the post Hello. Feature request - please disable the "loading" spinner that shows on the right hand side of the screen when in VR mode. It renders over the top of the VR view and is immersion breaking. A workaround is to turn the UI to "off", but then one cannot select objects, see overlay info etc.

Done.
jacrify wrote:
Source of the post I'm using it with an X52 Hotas (took a long time to get the controls to a usable state), but it is amazing.

Please share your controls layout!
jacrify wrote:
Source of the post One other suggestion- have a settings toggle that allows pegging stereobase to speed range- as speed range increases, depth perception adjusts to compensate for the presumably larger scale. Note it should be pegged to range not actual velocity- you want to be able to halt in intersteller space and not lose depth.  I have my X52 set up with a throttle control, and a rocker switch to move the speed ranges up and down. In general if I'm in intergalactic space I have speed range up in kilo light years, and I generally have stereobase cranked right up at that point.

As you know, SE have an opposite feature - speed is linked to stereobase. Isn't this enough? Adding another toggle option will bake controls even more complex. In VR, all controls must be limited by that VR controllers allowing, additional options must be in UI only, and their amount must be as small as possible.

Dr. Kaii
Explorer
Explorer

23 Jun 2019 12:11

SpaceEngineer:

As you know, SE have an opposite feature - speed is linked to stereobase. Isn't this enough?

Yes I agree that's enough

As a note for the UX, there is no "Exit Game" in VR that I can find

SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Author of SpaceEngine
Topic Author

23 Jun 2019 13:50

You can exit through Steam/Oculus pause menu. Many games uses this.

paulfr
Observer
Observer

26 Jun 2019 10:56

Hello A virtual keybord ?  its possible ?

Kerckhoffs
Observer
Observer

28 Jun 2019 15:56

Hello,

First of all, thanks SpaceEngineer for your amazing work.

The side menus attached to the controllers would be nice, as all the controls will then be accessible. But, this still enforce the user to choose some favorite controls to be directly attached to the controller, and let the others in the side menus.

One alternative could be to be able to switch the controls mapping. For instance, I want to explore so I put my controller in "explore mode". Then now, I want to take some photos so I switch the controller in "photo mode". One button manages the switch, while the others have their functions depending on the controller mode. That would be useful to me.

SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Author of SpaceEngine
Topic Author

29 Jun 2019 03:47

Kerckhoffs wrote:
Source of the post One alternative could be to be able to switch the controls mapping. For instance, I want to explore so I put my controller in "explore mode". Then now, I want to take some photos so I switch the controller in "photo mode". One button manages the switch, while the others have their functions depending on the controller mode. That would be useful to me.

Good idea, thanks!