Ultimate space simulation software

vlad01
Pioneer
Pioneer

Troubleshooting and bug reports - SpaceEngine 0.990

24 Nov 2019 15:44

Yeah it does go up in altitude slowly, I don't think it flies off though. I found the horizon key only levels off if the incline becomes too much despite holding the key down and then it repeats like that, it doesn't hold a constant level. It ends up making the level bob every few sec. Over time that adds up making the altitude increase slowly, but if you travel slowly enough it's not that noticeable.  Basically you can imagine the plane going around the planet in a polygon shaped path rather than a true circle while slowly spiraling out.

A-L-E-X
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

24 Nov 2019 16:13

Yes that is exactly what I noticed!  The reason I thought I might be flying off the planet though is because I could see above the atmosphere after awhile and there was black sky there filled with stars lol.  I could also see the curvature of the planet.  I guess I need to pay attention because I was actually reading the forum while all this was happening and I had to course correct.

vlad01
Pioneer
Pioneer

24 Nov 2019 17:38

I think it's just a limitation of the engine. It has aerodynamics but lacks real orbital mechanics for the craft as far as I can see.

Mr. Abner
Pioneer
Pioneer

25 Nov 2019 10:41

You are talking about just the free camera, right? No ships? The camera is unaffected by gravity, you will travel in a straight line, which does mean off into space even at a leisurely 2m/s.

Edit: Oh, I don't know if the auto horizon level setting will have any effect. Sounds like it might, but may also have other undesirable side effects. Never tried that myself.

A-L-E-X
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

26 Nov 2019 01:49

Mr. Abner wrote:
You are talking about just the free camera, right? No ships? The camera is unaffected by gravity, you will travel in a straight line, which does mean off into space even at a leisurely 2m/s.

Edit: Oh, I don't know if the auto horizon level setting will have any effect. Sounds like it might, but may also have other undesirable side effects. Never tried that myself.

Yes I am trying to make fly over videos of planets and simulations of warp travel.  This is my youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGxVyu ... IoUZareTsw

Is there a better way to simulate space travel and air travel than the way I'm doing it?  I'm using Flashback Express which helps me keep the file size down on my AVI files.

Also how can I make 4K screenshots and videos when I dont have a 4K monitor?

vlad01
Pioneer
Pioneer

26 Nov 2019 04:09

What are you using to record SE with? I tried fraps, afterburner and the built in recorder and have had no luck. The first 2 record broken (frames in wrong and random order, missing etc) and the built in one slows my PC down to a few frames per minute and then the playback is like 5x speed or errors out.

A-L-E-X
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

26 Nov 2019 05:13

vlad01 wrote:
What are you using to record SE with? I tried fraps, afterburner and the built in recorder and have had no luck. The first 2 record broken (frames in wrong and random order, missing etc) and the built in one slows my PC down to a few frames per minute and then the playback is like 5x speed or errors out.

Vlad I had the same issues you had and finally found something called Flashback Express.  It records in a proprietary format (with sound) but I can convert it to .AVI and .WMV format and its video files seem to have the smallest size but retain high quality.  No lag issues either because I can freely talk here while recording on the other monitor!  As a matter of fact that's what I'm doing right now!  I did a 2.5 hr video that used 1.27 GB space at 720P.  I almost crashed into a mountain while posting this and the only way to stop it was to switch to free form mode and use the number keys to gain some elevation before switching back to airplane mode!

vlad01
Pioneer
Pioneer

26 Nov 2019 15:07

Cool, thanks! I'll check it out.

A-L-E-X
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

27 Nov 2019 13:39

I'm trying to figure out what format to use.  .AVI is too large and takes way too long to create.  .WMV doesn't take up too much space and seems to have very high quality, however it uses up a lot of CPU (60%-80%) and heats up my CPU to 72C which causes my fans to roar.  MP4 files take up a bit more space but only use 20% of my CPU and do not heat it up beyond 60C.  Should I use MP4?  I can set it to 80% compression to keep file sizes manageable (1.9 GB for a 2 hour video at 720P).

xavier
Observer
Observer

01 Dec 2019 02:23

Hi,
I just don't know how it happened, but I get a "blue hole" instead of a correct eclipse. How can I fix this pleas?
JupiterBlueSpot.jpg

xavier
Observer
Observer

01 Dec 2019 02:59

I think I have a problem with eclipse texture because, it do the same on all satellites passing in the shadow of the planets .... sadness :/
Message in a bottle ......

JackDole
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

01 Dec 2019 03:21

xavier wrote:
Source of the post but I get a "blue hole" instead of a correct eclipse.

You have enabled 'Eclipse totality mask'. Disable it.
scr00485.jpg
JackDole's Universe 0.990: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=546
JackDole's Archive: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=419
JackDole: Mega structures ... http://old.spaceengine.org/forum/17-3252-1 (Old forum)

xavier
Observer
Observer

01 Dec 2019 03:56

Shame on me, thx :shock:

Disasterpiece
Observer
Observer

03 Dec 2019 05:48

It's been quite a while since I've browsed the forums so forgive me if this has been brought up before, but has anyone else noticed a serious lack of asteroid belts in 0.9.9.0? Is this intentional, a bug, or just personal bad luck?

A-L-E-X
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

03 Dec 2019 11:35

When I click "Continue" instead of taking me back to where I was in the program last time, it loads up the Credits screen.  While it's awesome to see all the people who contributed to Space Engine, every time I click "Continue" it keeps doing that.  Can we have a separate "Credits" tab?