Ultimate space simulation software

Your GPU memory size

10 GB and more
8 (11%)
8 GB
15 (21%)
6 GB
3 (4%)
4 GB
19 (27%)
3 GB
5 (7%)
2 GB
10 (14%)
1 GB and less
11 (15%)
 
Total votes: 71
 
User avatar
N0B0DY
Explorer
Explorer
Posts: 236
Joined: 09 Dec 2016

How much video memory do you have?

01 Apr 2019 12:24

I only have 11GB.. I want more.. Why NVIDIA equipped the 2080Tis with the same amount of VRAM as the 1080Tis? They should have put at least 16..
 
vlad01
Pioneer
Pioneer
Posts: 363
Joined: 02 May 2018

How much video memory do you have?

01 Apr 2019 23:20

I honestly expected 22-24GB on the 2080Ti but was disappointed when it released with only 11, it should have for the price they are asking.
 
User avatar
HarbingerDawn
SE Team Member
SE Team Member
Posts: 622
Joined: 22 Aug 2016
Location: CT, USA
Contact:

How much video memory do you have?

02 Apr 2019 05:12

To be fair, DRAM was extremely expensive at the time they were designing those cards, but yeah you'd think they could have added more for a $1200 card, especially when AMD is selling a card with 16 GB of HBM2 for $700 (though, to be fair again, they are probably losing money by doing that, or at least not making any profit).
Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.8 GHz, 64 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, GTX 1080 Ti 11 GB VRAM
Posts on old forum: 8717
 
User avatar
N0B0DY
Explorer
Explorer
Posts: 236
Joined: 09 Dec 2016

How much video memory do you have?

02 Apr 2019 08:30

vlad01 wrote:
I honestly expected 22-24GB on the 2080Ti but was disappointed when it released with only 11, it should have for the price they are asking.

At least they could have opted for something in-between - 16-18GBs would have been sufficient for the 2080ti so that the Titan RTX's VRAM would make more sense.
And this is precisely the reason NVidia is not going to see a single cent from me unless they release something that is worth it. (Unless I win the lottery and buy a Titan RTX :P ).
On the other hand I like this questionnaire: It comes to show that not all people are willing (or can afford) to have monster GPUs. Which is a good thing as Space Engineer (and other game devs) will try even harder to squeeze better visuals on less memory and may even have the power to influence the market and the big companies like NVidia to reconsider their pricing policies.
As for the 2nd part of the above sentence I have my doubts. But its good to hope for the better! After all hope is free and dies last!
 
User avatar
HarbingerDawn
SE Team Member
SE Team Member
Posts: 622
Joined: 22 Aug 2016
Location: CT, USA
Contact:

How much video memory do you have?

02 Apr 2019 18:00

N0B0DY wrote:
Source of the post On the other hand I like this questionnaire: It comes to show that not all people are willing (or can afford) to have monster GPUs.

What it shows is that only 8% of respondents do not meet the minimum VRAM requirement for 0.990, and only 27% do not meet the recommended requirement (i.e. 73% of respondents have 4 GB or more of VRAM). So even with the increased VRAM demands of 0.990, the vast majority of people can still run it. Honestly I'm surprised to find that so many people do have so much VRAM on their cards. If your point is that not all people have 8+ GB, then obviously they don't, and no one would expect otherwise, but the fact that 34% do have that much means that it's not all that rare. Certainly more common than I would have expected.

EDIT: The results as of now:

► Show Spoiler
Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.8 GHz, 64 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, GTX 1080 Ti 11 GB VRAM
Posts on old forum: 8717
 
User avatar
Stellarator
World Builder
World Builder
Posts: 862
Joined: 10 Jul 2018
Location: Sagittarius A*

How much video memory do you have?

03 Apr 2019 00:05

This:

N0B0DY wrote:
Source of the post And this is precisely the reason NVidia is not going to see a single cent from me unless they release something that is worth it. (Unless I win the lottery and buy a Titan RTX :P).

On the other hand I like this questionnaire: It comes to show that not all people are willing (or can afford) to have monster GPUs. [Which is a good thing] as Space Engineer (and other game devs) will try even harder to squeeze better visuals on less memory and may even have the power to influence the market and the big companies like NVidia to reconsider their pricing policies.

Well said.
Futurum Fusionem
 
User avatar
SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Author of SpaceEngine
Topic Author
Posts: 992
Joined: 17 May 2016
Location: Saint-Petersburg
Contact:

How much video memory do you have?

03 Apr 2019 02:07

 
User avatar
N0B0DY
Explorer
Explorer
Posts: 236
Joined: 09 Dec 2016

How much video memory do you have?

03 Apr 2019 02:51

HarbingerDawn wrote:
N0B0DY wrote:
Source of the post On the other hand I like this questionnaire: It comes to show that not all people are willing (or can afford) to have monster GPUs.

What it shows is that only 8% of respondents do not meet the minimum VRAM requirement for 0.990, and only 27% do not meet the recommended requirement (i.e. 73% of respondents have 4 GB or more of VRAM). So even with the increased VRAM demands of 0.990, the vast majority of people can still run it. Honestly I'm surprised to find that so many people do have so much VRAM on their cards. If your point is that not all people have 8+ GB, then obviously they don't, and no one would expect otherwise, but the fact that 34% do have that much means that it's not all that rare. Certainly more common than I would have expected.

EDIT: The results as of now:

► Show Spoiler

27% is not insignificant. It is almost 1/3 of the sample. Ok it is less than that but still it is significant IMHO.
Also yes, I was referring to those having 8GB or more. Which constitute a surprisingly a 34%! So clearly more & more people are investing on high-end, multi-gigabyte cards.
On the other hand the VRAM requirements (both speed & quantity) have increased exponentially since the dawn of the GPU from the late 90's (20 year period). It is not easy for many people to keep up with this with every generation of new GPUs. Developers and programmers are faced with the task of trying to optimize GPU VRAM usage with their apps.  And hardware companies want to maximize their profits out of all of this..
 
User avatar
LBV 2012-26
Space Tourist
Space Tourist
Posts: 22
Joined: 18 Nov 2018

How much video memory do you have?

03 Apr 2019 21:28

Macronicus wrote:
I have 512 mb of vram. But I can run 980.

Coincidentally, My HD 6470M with only 512MB of VRAM, too. but at 1366×768 resolution, 0.980e running FPS is not too bad (0.980e FPS looks like 0.980 higher)
 
User avatar
ettore_bilbo
Explorer
Explorer
Posts: 177
Joined: 11 Nov 2016
Location: Italy

How much video memory do you have?

06 Apr 2019 09:01

gtx 1060 3GB
 
User avatar
BlueDrache
Observer
Observer
Posts: 2
Joined: 10 Feb 2017
Location: Skei's Haven, Krynn
Contact:

How much video memory do you have?

09 Apr 2019 14:42

Is this good?

[color=#000000][size=150][font=Helvetica]https://files.catbox.moe/rz6j21.jpg[/font][/size][/color]
Lofting the Cyberwinds on Teknoleather wings, I am ...

The Blue Drache
 
User avatar
Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer
Posts: 1338
Joined: 24 Oct 2016
Location: Italy
Contact:

How much video memory do you have?

09 Apr 2019 14:56

BlueDrache wrote:
Is this good?

https://files.catbox.moe/rz6j21.jpg

Yes. You should choose the "8 GB" option in the poll above, if you haven't done it yet.
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
My mods | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 4gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram | IRC freenode.net canale ##SpaceEngineITA
 
A-L-E-X
Star Engineer
Star Engineer
Posts: 1577
Joined: 06 Mar 2017

How much video memory do you have?

09 Apr 2019 15:08

Stellarator wrote:
This:

N0B0DY wrote:
Source of the post And this is precisely the reason NVidia is not going to see a single cent from me unless they release something that is worth it. (Unless I win the lottery and buy a Titan RTX :P).

On the other hand I like this questionnaire: It comes to show that not all people are willing (or can afford) to have monster GPUs. [Which is a good thing] as Space Engineer (and other game devs) will try even harder to squeeze better visuals on less memory and may even have the power to influence the market and the big companies like NVidia to reconsider their pricing policies.

Well said.

NVidia like other crony corporations have draconian policies which now also applies to journalists and disclosure.  So I'm sticking with my 6 GB 1060 GTX for awhile. :P
 
User avatar
Fasters
Observer
Observer
Posts: 5
Joined: 24 Jun 2019

How much video memory do you have?

24 Jun 2019 13:07

4 GB Just because I am working with design
 
Sundies
Observer
Observer
Posts: 6
Joined: 30 Jun 2019

How much video memory do you have?

08 Jul 2019 18:33

Geforce 940MX 4gb.

It runs space engine well, but it has some hiccup moments. I'm using a dell inspiron 15 7000
I'm just a backup account for Harge

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Mr. Abner and 0 guests