Ultimate space simulation software

astroclu
Space Tourist
Space Tourist
Topic Author

Mods by Astroclu (SEV and HDU) for 0.9.8.0

26 Oct 2018 10:14

Hi, this is my first topic so I hope it gets well.
Following the manuals (yeah, you should too) on how to import .obj 3D models, I created 2 mods.
Both models come from NASA

• HDU
The first one is an Habitat Demonstration Unit meant to show what habitats on Mars could look like.
Extract to addons.
► Show Spoiler

It will add 3 objects, the complete HDU (2 modules) and each module if you wished to use them separately.

• SEV
The second one is a Surface Exploration Vehicle which is intended to be used by future martian colonists.
► Show Spoiler

Here is screenshot with those 2 objects and an ESA and a NASA astronauts from DoctorofSpace's Mod Emporium.
scr0.jpg

I hope you like them and any feedback is welcome.
Core i7-8700 [email protected] RAM 16GB GPU NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB VRAM
"The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom"
Isaac Asimov

Stellarator
World Builder
World Builder

28 Oct 2018 02:23

Nice mods Astroclu! It's a good way to introduce yourself to the forum - we here are always hungry for more mods! Which SE version are these for? Any other plans for mods?
Futurum Fusionem

astroclu
Space Tourist
Space Tourist
Topic Author

28 Oct 2018 12:54

Thanks for your interest and welcome Stellarator. I'm mostly interested in real spacecrafts / vehicles / stations because I use them to make fisheye sequences for the planetarium dome,  so I might keep digging that way int he future now that I have seen it is not that hard. These have been tested on version 0.9.8.0 but I don't know how compatible they are with earlier or future version.  
"The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom"
Isaac Asimov

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

29 Oct 2018 13:02

That's quite interesting! I downloaded once the HDU, but I didn't convert it, I think I didn't like that much textures in low resolution.
Now that you did the hard work though ;) I tested your mods and they work fine with 0.990 beta. The SEV is very high quality, and I felt sad for the HDU.
So, who needs to sleep at night, right? I ended up by sticking new logos and texts for a higher resolution diffmap, adjusting a bump and glow map for what definitely seemed a lamppost.
This is a pak file, you can rename it to zip and use it as you seem fit, or place it directly in addons/ folder.
Download
I look forward to see your contributions.
Attachments
scr00017.png
SE 0.980
scr00008.jpg
SE 0.990
scr00010.jpg
SE 0990
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
My mods | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 4gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram | IRC freenode.net canale ##SpaceEngineITA

astroclu
Space Tourist
Space Tourist
Topic Author

01 Nov 2018 18:20

Hi Mosfet, I'm glad you liked it and that it inspired you to give it a texture make over. It looks really fine with this high res diff map and with that lampost in 0.990. 
Isaac Asimov

SuperMarioFan126
Astronaut
Astronaut
Location: On the surface of planet HIP 11111 4 in SpaceEngine 0.9.8.0

12 May 2019 22:32

Shouldn't the Surface Exploration Vehicle be able to rove around the surface of Mars, however?
It's literally just a static object...
Two hundred fifty-five, na na na na, two hundred fifty-five...
Two hundred fifty-five, na na na na, two hundred fifty-five...
Two hundred fifty-five, two hundred fifty-five...
Two hundred fifty-five, two hundred fifty-five...

astroclu
Space Tourist
Space Tourist
Topic Author

14 Jun 2019 10:19

As far as I know, the only vehicles you can actually move in Space Engine are Spaceship / planes, so I don't think there is a way yet to make it roll on the surface. So yes, meanwhile, it'll remain a static object, which is nonetheless pleasant to have in a colonization scene like I've shown in the previews. 
Isaac Asimov

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

14 Jun 2019 10:35

Mosfet wrote:
Source of the post glow map for what definitely seemed a lamppost.

Actually now that I'm thinking about it, in all fairness it would make sense as dome camera :)
My mods | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 4gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram | IRC freenode.net canale ##SpaceEngineITA

astroclu
Space Tourist
Space Tourist
Topic Author

14 Jun 2019 14:07

Mosfet wrote:
Source of the post Actually now that I'm thinking about it, in all fairness it would make sense as dome camera

Well thought, that might even be both things. I guess the crew living there wouldn't go out a lot by might but in an emergency, they would certainly appreciate light if they need to, and as there are no window, the camera would be useful to see what's happening outside. 
Isaac Asimov

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

14 Jun 2019 15:07

yeah especially since it's near an entrance. I'd like to see some blueprints now, I'll try and find something.