Ultimate space simulation software

 
A-L-E-X
Star Engineer
Star Engineer
Posts: 2328
Joined: 06 Mar 2017

Image Dump

26 Feb 2020 14:56

Mr. Abner wrote:
Even Aborygen hasn't posted since November. And his pic back on post #2583 on the previous page was very tasty.

Maybe us "photographers" and artists need more pats on the back. I think I said it about a hundred pages ago in this thread — if there ever was a thread that needed a "like" button for each post, this one certainly qualifies.

Well some of us need advice on how to get screenshots as great as yours! :P  Are you using .990 full time now?  What resolution?
I have it at full detail/highest preset settings at 1280x1024
 
A-L-E-X
Star Engineer
Star Engineer
Posts: 2328
Joined: 06 Mar 2017

Image Dump

26 Feb 2020 14:59

I love your Feb 1, 8 and 16 shots Abner, the colors and the background- are those from .980 or .990?  Resolution and settings?  Thanks!
 
Mr. Abner
Pioneer
Pioneer
Posts: 448
Joined: 08 Jun 2017
Location: Mississauga

Image Dump

26 Feb 2020 18:26

A-L-E-X wrote:
I love your Feb 1, 8 and 16 shots Abner, the colors and the background- are those from .980 or .990?  Resolution and settings?  Thanks!



Mr. Abner wrote:
990-00157.jpg
990-00158.jpg

These two from Feb. 16 are from 990. All others are from 980. (I still seem to find nicer scenery in 980 compared to 990, although 990 does have some great lighting effects (even though auto exposure seems a little twitchy).)

Resolution is always 1920 by 1080 (or sometimes 1080 by 1920 in portrait mode, of course). Settings... maybe I should take a screen shot of the control panel for settings, that will be much easier.  But I will play around with exposure and zoom, like any decent photographer would.

Oh, and you'll never see a lens flare in my pics. :)  I like my simulators to simulate what it is like to be there, not what it is like to watch a movie that was filmed by somebody else that was there. ;) Ha!

Glad you like 'em. I'll certainly keep posting them.
 
User avatar
evildrganymede
Space Pilot
Space Pilot
Posts: 118
Joined: 17 Jan 2018

Image Dump

26 Feb 2020 19:06

Oh, and you'll never see a lens flare in my pics. [img=24x24]http://forum.spaceengine.org/images/smilies/icon_e_smile.png[/img]  I like my simulators to simulate what it is like to be there, not what it is like to watch a movie that was filmed by somebody else that was there. [img=24x24]http://forum.spaceengine.org/images/smilies/icon_e_wink.png[/img] Ha!

Well if you were actually there you'd be looking at the scene either through a window, a visor, or just with your eye (very briefly) and I'm pretty sure all of those would have some degree of light scattering - so lens flare is unavoidable really.
 
Mr. Abner
Pioneer
Pioneer
Posts: 448
Joined: 08 Jun 2017
Location: Mississauga

Image Dump

26 Feb 2020 21:05

evildrganymede wrote:
Oh, and you'll never see a lens flare in my pics. [img=24x24]http://forum.spaceengine.org/images/smilies/icon_e_smile.png[/img]  I like my simulators to simulate what it is like to be there, not what it is like to watch a movie that was filmed by somebody else that was there. [img=24x24]http://forum.spaceengine.org/images/smilies/icon_e_wink.png[/img] Ha!

Well if you were actually there you'd be looking at the scene either through a window, a visor, or just with your eye (very briefly) and I'm pretty sure all of those would have some degree of light scattering - so lens flare is unavoidable really.

Nope. I do not see a lens flare in my daily life. If you do, you might want to see a doctor about that.
If you like lens flares, go ahead and use them. Makes no difference to me.
 
User avatar
Aborygen
Pioneer
Pioneer
Posts: 331
Joined: 07 Jan 2017
Location: Poland

Image Dump

27 Feb 2020 02:09

ImageImageImageImage
 
A-L-E-X
Star Engineer
Star Engineer
Posts: 2328
Joined: 06 Mar 2017

Image Dump

28 Feb 2020 12:08

Mr. Abner wrote:
A-L-E-X wrote:
I love your Feb 1, 8 and 16 shots Abner, the colors and the background- are those from .980 or .990?  Resolution and settings?  Thanks!



Mr. Abner wrote:
990-00157.jpg
990-00158.jpg

These two from Feb. 16 are from 990. All others are from 980. (I still seem to find nicer scenery in 980 compared to 990, although 990 does have some great lighting effects (even though auto exposure seems a little twitchy).)

Resolution is always 1920 by 1080 (or sometimes 1080 by 1920 in portrait mode, of course). Settings... maybe I should take a screen shot of the control panel for settings, that will be much easier.  But I will play around with exposure and zoom, like any decent photographer would.

Oh, and you'll never see a lens flare in my pics. :)  I like my simulators to simulate what it is like to be there, not what it is like to watch a movie that was filmed by somebody else that was there. ;) Ha!

Glad you like 'em. I'll certainly keep posting them.

I love the colors and gradients!  What version Nvidia driver are you using?  I heard the latest ones dont work with .980?  I have both installed so I wanted to make sure I can keep the older version working too.
Do you have a certain combo of monitor settings you use?  I noticed the light in my older Sony LCD (from 2005) getting a bit drab/dim so I put it into gaming mode and it's bright again (I just hope this mode wont shorten its life.)  And on my other monitor (Viewsonic from 2013), I set the color temp to 5000K and set it to dynamic contrast to bring out the colors better.
 
Mr. Abner
Pioneer
Pioneer
Posts: 448
Joined: 08 Jun 2017
Location: Mississauga

Image Dump

28 Feb 2020 13:39

A-L-E-X wrote:
Mr. Abner wrote:
A-L-E-X wrote:
I love your Feb 1, 8 and 16 shots Abner, the colors and the background- are those from .980 or .990?  Resolution and settings?  Thanks!



Mr. Abner wrote:
990-00157.jpg
990-00158.jpg

These two from Feb. 16 are from 990. All others are from 980. (I still seem to find nicer scenery in 980 compared to 990, although 990 does have some great lighting effects (even though auto exposure seems a little twitchy).)

Resolution is always 1920 by 1080 (or sometimes 1080 by 1920 in portrait mode, of course). Settings... maybe I should take a screen shot of the control panel for settings, that will be much easier.  But I will play around with exposure and zoom, like any decent photographer would.

Oh, and you'll never see a lens flare in my pics. :)  I like my simulators to simulate what it is like to be there, not what it is like to watch a movie that was filmed by somebody else that was there. ;) Ha!

Glad you like 'em. I'll certainly keep posting them.

I love the colors and gradients!  What version Nvidia driver are you using?  I heard the latest ones dont work with .980?  I have both installed so I wanted to make sure I can keep the older version working too.
Do you have a certain combo of monitor settings you use?  I noticed the light in my older Sony LCD (from 2005) getting a bit drab/dim so I put it into gaming mode and it's bright again (I just hope this mode wont shorten its life.)  And on my other monitor (Viewsonic from 2013), I set the color temp to 5000K and set it to dynamic contrast to bring out the colors better.

Nothing fancy on my end, old GTX 1050 card, with 391.35 driver version under Windows 7. It all works, I see no reason to update anything. More often than not, as you have noted, that ends up breaking something.

I'll post a screenshot of my SE settings soon.  But also keep in mind, the default image viewer for this forum resizes/resamples the pics as well as changing the colours, or at least the brightness/gamma. Bright objects get blown out.  I made a post about it in the "Forum Issues" thread quite some time ago. I'll link to it if I can find it... (Edit: Found (back in August 2018). Thought I posted something more in depth, with samples of pics, but I didn't. Pretty much just said the same thing I said here.)

And I'm glad you like 'em. :)
Last edited by Mr. Abner on 28 Feb 2020 13:56, edited 1 time in total.
 
Mr. Abner
Pioneer
Pioneer
Posts: 448
Joined: 08 Jun 2017
Location: Mississauga

Image Dump

28 Feb 2020 13:45

Aborygen wrote:
Image

Sweet.
 
A-L-E-X
Star Engineer
Star Engineer
Posts: 2328
Joined: 06 Mar 2017

Image Dump

28 Feb 2020 14:13

Mr. Abner wrote:
A-L-E-X wrote:
Mr. Abner wrote:



These two from Feb. 16 are from 990. All others are from 980. (I still seem to find nicer scenery in 980 compared to 990, although 990 does have some great lighting effects (even though auto exposure seems a little twitchy).)

Resolution is always 1920 by 1080 (or sometimes 1080 by 1920 in portrait mode, of course). Settings... maybe I should take a screen shot of the control panel for settings, that will be much easier.  But I will play around with exposure and zoom, like any decent photographer would.

Oh, and you'll never see a lens flare in my pics. :)  I like my simulators to simulate what it is like to be there, not what it is like to watch a movie that was filmed by somebody else that was there. ;) Ha!

Glad you like 'em. I'll certainly keep posting them.

I love the colors and gradients!  What version Nvidia driver are you using?  I heard the latest ones dont work with .980?  I have both installed so I wanted to make sure I can keep the older version working too.
Do you have a certain combo of monitor settings you use?  I noticed the light in my older Sony LCD (from 2005) getting a bit drab/dim so I put it into gaming mode and it's bright again (I just hope this mode wont shorten its life.)  And on my other monitor (Viewsonic from 2013), I set the color temp to 5000K and set it to dynamic contrast to bring out the colors better.

Nothing fancy on my end, old GTX 1050 card, with 391.35 driver version under Windows 7. It all works, I see no reason to update anything. More often than not, as you have noted, that ends up breaking something.

I'll post a screenshot of my SE settings soon.  But also keep in mind, the default image viewer for this forum resizes/resamples the pics as well as changing the colours, or at least the brightness/gamma. Bright objects get blown out.  I made a post about it in the "Forum Issues" thread quite some time ago. I'll link to it if I can find it... (Edit: Found (back in August 2018). Thought I posted something more in depth, with samples of pics, but I didn't. Pretty much just said the same thing I said here.)

And I'm glad you like 'em. :)

I have very similar to you- GTX 1060 6 GB VRAM and 16 GB RAM.  I find frequent driver updates annoying, and I dont even have any custom settings for them.
 
Mr. Abner
Pioneer
Pioneer
Posts: 448
Joined: 08 Jun 2017
Location: Mississauga

Image Dump

28 Feb 2020 16:46

Typical graphics settings I use for 980. I will sometimes crank up the MSAA anti-aliasing if needed for a screenshot, but slows the frame rate significantly. And I'll fiddle with the thermal emission shift if there's some volcanoes in the frame. :)

Graphics settings 980.jpg


And a few more, 'cause this is the image dump thread. :)

scr02614.jpg

scr04539.jpg

scr04550.jpg

scr04560.jpg
 
vlad01
Pioneer
Pioneer
Posts: 482
Joined: 02 May 2018

Image Dump

28 Feb 2020 17:38

scr00090.jpg
 
vlad01
Pioneer
Pioneer
Posts: 482
Joined: 02 May 2018

Image Dump

28 Feb 2020 23:23

A-L-E-X wrote:
vlad01 wrote:
I think quite a lot of activity was from those sneak peaks of 0.990 that brought a lot of people to the forum in general including here, now that it's been out for a while people are content. 

There was hype, the produce has been delivered, it is great and now there isn't a real need to come here for most people unless they do want to share or have a problem they need help with.

The main things that keep me coming back is the off topic stuff and the occasional updates on current/future versions.

I would post more pics here but my PC is in desperate need of an upgrade, SE with its add ons and my new 1440p monitor just nukes my PC to the point of unplayable so I am in the process of saving up for a new build, until then I'm not really using SE.

I thought you had your new build by now?  I am using SE on my second monitor at full screen (1280x1024) with Starry Night on my primary monitor, everything runs fine with Ryzen 2700X and 16GB memory.

Not yet, I only got some of the parts and work has been slow in the new year so I don't have spare cash at the moment.
 
Mr. Abner
Pioneer
Pioneer
Posts: 448
Joined: 08 Jun 2017
Location: Mississauga

Image Dump

29 Feb 2020 13:39

vlad01 wrote:
scr00090.jpg

Looks like your current system is working just fine. :)
 
User avatar
evildrganymede
Space Pilot
Space Pilot
Posts: 118
Joined: 17 Jan 2018

Image Dump

01 Mar 2020 00:17

Mr. Abner wrote:
evildrganymede wrote:
Oh, and you'll never see a lens flare in my pics. [img=24x24]http://forum.spaceengine.org/images/smilies/icon_e_smile.png[/img]  I like my simulators to simulate what it is like to be there, not what it is like to watch a movie that was filmed by somebody else that was there. [img=24x24]http://forum.spaceengine.org/images/smilies/icon_e_wink.png[/img] Ha!

Well if you were actually there you'd be looking at the scene either through a window, a visor, or just with your eye (very briefly) and I'm pretty sure all of those would have some degree of light scattering - so lens flare is unavoidable really.

Nope. I do not see a lens flare in my daily life. If you do, you might want to see a doctor about that.
If you like lens flares, go ahead and use them. Makes no difference to me.

And you can do what you like in your SE too, of course - but you're wrong. If you don't see lens flare with your eyes then I'm afraid you're the one who needs to see a doctor - human eyes have lenses and it's always a side effect of that. 

Read this paper if you don't believe me: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... lGlare.pdf

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest