Free planetarium

A-L-E-X
Explorer

Totally off-topic thread

19 Apr 2017 11:59

DoctorOfSpace wrote:
JackDole wrote:
Source of the post Or it may happen rarely. Maybe after an almost infinite time. But what happened once can happen again when there is an infinite amount of time available.

That is the entire point of living the same life forever on repeat.  If time is infinite then it can happen again and it will happen again, you are forever going to relive your life.

what about the many worlds interpretation- that there are many versions of you, living all possible lives?

A-L-E-X
Explorer

Totally off-topic thread

19 Apr 2017 12:01

JackDole wrote:
Watsisname wrote:
Source of the post Heh, the nihilistic perspective of this is fun to think about.  Would it be more depressing to live in a universe where everything you do doesn't matter because it is doomed to repeat endlessly exactly the same, or to live in a universe where everything you do doesn't matter because it is doomed to heat death? :P

Life and the universe do not matter.
For life and the universe is condemned to die.
Whether the universe dies a heat death or not.
An endlessly repeated cycle is not possible in my opinion.
I think every universe must have some 'loss'.
So there is less and less 'universe'! :|

Well you could have a cyclic universe within that concept too.  A universe that cycles with a lowering cosmological constant with every iteration.  But all is not lost, you could still have the creation of baby universes that carry on from where the parent left off (as our own might have.)
Remember, nothing is created or destroyed ;-)

DoctorOfSpace
Pioneer

Totally off-topic thread

19 Apr 2017 12:03

A-L-E-X wrote:
Source of the post that there are many versions of you, living all possible lives?

Well then they aren't me since I am not them.  For you to be who you are now you must have had the previous experiences and stored memories of those experiences and be the combination of all the physical processes going on inside you right now.  Without those fairly specific things then you are not you.
CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor - RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory - GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FE 11GB
Quando omni flunkus, moritati

A-L-E-X
Explorer

Totally off-topic thread

19 Apr 2017 12:05

JackDole wrote:
I do not believe in the meaning of the universe and I do not believe in the meaning of life in general.

But I believe in the meaning of life in particular.
I believe in the meaning of my life. That I can ask myself whether the universe has a meaning, and how the universe works, is the meaning of my life. Amongst other things. :|

I do not believe in a cyclic universe in which the same play is played over and over again. This would contradict quantum theory, in my view.
But I believe that cyclic universes are possible in the sense that they expand, contract, expand, and so on.
But if we live in such a universe, ours may be the last one in the series. For obviously the matter in our universe is not enough for it to contract again.
The amount of energy and matter in these universes may always be the same, but the distribution may always be different.
The initial distribution of matter and anti-matter may be different. Perhaps there was a universe before us that contained more anti-matter than matter, so it was an anti-matter universe.
And in our universe now, the difference between matter and anti-matter is so small that only so little matter is left that it no longer suffices for a contraction of the universe.

Actually, however, I believe that universes are created and disappear like blossoms that bloom and wither again.
This may happen now. Somewhere outside our universe, perhaps, a new universe is being created right now. Or many universes.
Or it may happen rarely. Maybe after an almost infinite time. But what happened once can happen again when there is an infinite amount of time available.

I don't believe this is the last iteration nor that we are the only universe there is, but wouldn't it be poetic if we were both and that after coming closer and closer with every previous iteration but failing the last iteration was the one in which intelligent life finally evolved? (Though I don't believe that either- that is intriguing to think about.)  And maybe it will be that intelligent life that will finally evolve to the point where it will be able to prevent the universe from dying- a la Asimov's The Last Question.
Read this
http://multivax.com/last_question.html

A-L-E-X
Explorer

Totally off-topic thread

19 Apr 2017 12:08

DoctorOfSpace wrote:
JackDole wrote:
Source of the post But first, there are a lot of other lives to live. All imaginable lives! 8-)

I don't think that applies because you are a result of what has happened to you and what makes you up.  This sorta notion suggests you can only be you in the life you are living now so everything else is not you.

Yes, this is what I tell people who think that cloning will enable them to "live forever"- an identical twin is not the same thing as continuing to live- we are all the sum of our experiences as well as our genetics.  Our twin is not the same thing as us, even though the genes are the same.

A-L-E-X
Explorer

Totally off-topic thread

19 Apr 2017 12:09

DoctorOfSpace wrote:
A-L-E-X wrote:
Source of the post that there are many versions of you, living all possible lives?

Well then they aren't me since I am not them.  For you to be who you are now you must have had the previous experiences and stored memories of those experiences and be the combination of all the physical processes going on inside you right now.  Without those fairly specific things then you are not you.

Yes exactly- you must be a telepath since I just wrote this in my previous post.  It's the reason why if we have a twin, our twin is not the same as us.  We are the sum of both our genes and our experiences.

DoctorOfSpace
Pioneer

Totally off-topic thread

19 Apr 2017 12:14

A-L-E-X wrote:
Source of the post It's the reason why if we have a twin, our twin is not the same as us.  We are the sum of both our genes and our experiences

Brain and/or head transplant.
CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor - RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory - GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FE 11GB

A-L-E-X
Explorer

Totally off-topic thread

19 Apr 2017 12:16

DoctorOfSpace wrote:
JackDole wrote:
Source of the post and I would make another decision, another event would happen: I think I would still be myself .

And you are you now.  Who you are is dependent on the state of your brain, the progression of self is an illusion of those processes. 
To put simply, you can't be someone who isn't you because you are you. 
This is a similar notion to the anthropic principle, you can't be somewhere you can't be.

There is a parallel to be drawn between the cyclic universe and the cyclic life.  I also believe in the cyclic universe but things do not repeat in the same way, therefore it is a new universe.  Yes it is a new iteration of a cycle but things can and will happen differently- the universal constants might even be different.  Intelligent life may or may not develop in a given iteration.  Yes, there are similarities to the current iteration but it isn't the same universe.  Same with this cyclical concept of lives, although there are similarities it isn't the same because the experiences aren't the same.
Although I am not sure I believe in cyclical lives- when we die, who we are gets distributed within the ground doesn't it?  I guess parts of us gets consumed by different organisms so in a way we continue to exist as parts of the lives of these organisms (in a much reduced state and with none of our memories being retained.)  Isn't this something science agrees upon or is there any actual evidence for cyclical lives?
Last edited by A-L-E-X on 19 Apr 2017 12:20, edited 1 time in total.

A-L-E-X
Explorer

Totally off-topic thread

19 Apr 2017 12:18

DoctorOfSpace wrote:
A-L-E-X wrote:
Source of the post It's the reason why if we have a twin, our twin is not the same as us.  We are the sum of both our genes and our experiences

Brain and/or head transplant.

Possibly, if we can ever do that.  (I guess we could if we could build a new body via cloning and then just transplant the head/brain- without wrecking an entirely new individual since the new body wouldn't have a head/brain before the transplant.  We would have to keep doing this though.)  A more efficient means would be if we can transfer our brain's electrical signals into a metal body and thus retain our sense of self in a body that can exist indefinitely- do you think this will ever be possible?
And do you think that mental telepathy will ever be possible at a higher level of evolution? I know Daryl Bem has been doing some research on precognition at Cornell.

DoctorOfSpace
Pioneer

Totally off-topic thread

19 Apr 2017 15:07

A-L-E-X wrote:
Source of the post There is a parallel to be drawn between the cyclic universe and the cyclic life.  I also believe in the cyclic universe but things do not repeat in the same way, therefore it is a new universe.

Could be a reset, not a recollapse but a reset, same conditions leading to same conditions on repeat.  Universe expands to a point where it is at maximum entropy, reaches almost exactly absolute zero, macro scale quantum events, tunneling of particles, universe restarts.  A closed system of eternally expanding dead shells of spacetime where they inevitably lead to a rebooting process.  This would be you reliving your life over and over.
A-L-E-X wrote:
Source of the post Possibly, if we can ever do that.

A-L-E-X wrote:
Source of the post A more efficient means would be if we can transfer our brain's electrical signals into a metal body and thus retain our sense of self in a body that can exist indefinitely- do you think this will ever be possible?

Maybe
A-L-E-X wrote:
Source of the post And do you think that mental telepathy will ever be possible at a higher level of evolution?

No.  Sending text messages between brains should be possible though

A-L-E-X
Explorer

Totally off-topic thread

19 Apr 2017 16:30

DoctorOfSpace wrote:
A-L-E-X wrote:
Source of the post There is a parallel to be drawn between the cyclic universe and the cyclic life.  I also believe in the cyclic universe but things do not repeat in the same way, therefore it is a new universe.

Could be a reset, not a recollapse but a reset, same conditions leading to same conditions on repeat.  Universe expands to a point where it is at maximum entropy, reaches almost exactly absolute zero, macro scale quantum events, tunneling of particles, universe restarts.  A closed system of eternally expanding dead shells of spacetime where they inevitably lead to a rebooting process.  This would be you reliving your life over and over.
A-L-E-X wrote:
Source of the post Possibly, if we can ever do that.

A-L-E-X wrote:
Source of the post A more efficient means would be if we can transfer our brain's electrical signals into a metal body and thus retain our sense of self in a body that can exist indefinitely- do you think this will ever be possible?

Maybe
A-L-E-X wrote:
Source of the post And do you think that mental telepathy will ever be possible at a higher level of evolution?

No.  Sending text messages between brains should be possible though

But the question is, with the restart would the universe progress in exactly the same way? I don't think so - and minute changes at the beginning of each cycle can have larger scale consequences down the road.
What you mentioned about text messages is interesting- we're already seeing some of that with how people with artificial limbs communicate with them via electrical signalling via the brain.  Do you think the type of communication that occurs in the Foundation series in the Second Foundation can occur? I was particularly intrigued by the way in which The Mule was able to plant thoughts and emotions in the minds of others.  The brain after all is a magnet, there should be a way to read it and even alter the way it works (not that we should, just wondering how it would work scientifically.)  Theoretically it should be possible to plant thoughts in someone's mind and make them believe they originated the thought themselves.  We already have subliminal advertising that does that.

DoctorOfSpace
Pioneer

Totally off-topic thread

20 Apr 2017 08:36

Happy 4/20 guys
► Show Spoiler

Stab74
Space Tourist

Totally off-topic thread

20 Apr 2017 10:30

420 Blaze it!  I think I need to find a planet today with a real thick smoky atmosphere.

Voekoevaka
Observer

Totally off-topic thread

20 Apr 2017 11:59

Hi !

I'm back here ! The new website, the work progress, lots of improvements. Good job team !

Sorry for the long absence, I have a new job, and time for adaptation was quite long for me, but I'm back, and I'm still working a bit on new mods. I will post soon my mod page again !
If you wanna hear some of my music : https://voekoevaka.bandcamp.com/

Xoran
Pioneer

Totally off-topic thread

21 Apr 2017 05:17

Voekoevaka wrote:
Source of the post  I will post soon my mod page again !

You need 10 posts to make a new thread :)
Space is too big to understand, so do not try to understand.