Ultimate space simulation software

Macronicus
Space Pilot
Space Pilot

General 0.9.9.0 Discussion

11 Jul 2018 15:12

Mosfet wrote:
SpaceEngineer wrote:
Release is expected this year on Steam. I can't give the exact date, because developing the app is not like building a road. Then you build a road, you may measure your average speed, say 1 mile per day, then divide the remaining distance onto this speed and obtain number of days left. Developing app is not a linear process, so no extrapolation can be used. I don't know how much time it will take for, say, implementing procedural generation of raymarched nebulae, which new problems will arise, and how much time it will take to solve them.

It's being released on steam? Will it still be release on the website still?
To a Galaxy billion light-years away from a Dark World.

PlutonianEmpire
Pioneer
Pioneer

11 Jul 2018 18:10

Hmuda wrote:
I check back every couple months and leave disappointed over and over and over and over again. And now I read that it might be 2019.

It seems my fears of feature-creep are becoming a reality. I'd love to make new videos with SE, but looking at the amazing pictures and beta videos...the current release just doesn't cut it any more. I cannot even boot it up for some casual messing around, let alone making a video. :cry:

I kinda regret looking up that term now. :cry:

And I vaguely remember hearing that the shader files will be encrypted and passworded in Space Engine 0.990, so I presume no more shader mods too, if this turns out to be true :(
Specs: Dell Inspiron 5547 (Laptop); 8 gigabytes of RAM; Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-4210U CPU @ 1.70GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.4GHz; Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit; Graphics: Intel® HD Graphics 4400 (That's all there is :( )

Hmuda
Observer
Observer

12 Jul 2018 06:15

[quote="PlutonianEmpire"]I kinda regret looking up that term now. :cry:[/quote]Which term? "Feature-creep"? I keep reading features added one after another, random generation improved, constellations, new textures, pre-planning camera movements, etc, etc. All WONDERFUL stuff, I could not be happier to hear the software is being improved all the time. But then one feature gets finished, then the team starts doing something else. Then that is finished, on to something else. Rinse and repeat.

I may come across as bitter, but rest assured that I'm not, I'm just getting a bit impatient at this point, and reading at the end of every dev post that one thing is finished, so they move on to something else is a quite a bit disheartening as there doesn't seem to be an end to it and I fear that they will just keep finding more and more and more stuff to include in 0990.

Ok, I'll end it here and now. I'd like to avoid appearing too pushy, because at the end of the day I only have the utmost respect for everyone on the team working on the project that I love so much. So keep up the great work, and please don't let me make you rush in incomplete version...but you know...you can work on things in other versions too, there still numbers available. :)

N0B0DY
Space Pilot
Space Pilot

12 Jul 2018 09:03

For all of us (myself included) who are impatient about the new release bear in mind that
A) Space Engine has probably reached a point that it has become too complex to develop at the same pace as it was developed in the past.
B) Other projects (that although can not be directly compared with SE) are also delayed and even more for e.g Star Citizen.
Although SC has been announced at about the same time period as SE and although it is a completely different application,
look where it is now: In alpha state, expensive and full of bugs. And in addition to that it is a multi million dollar project and still no clear date as of when it will be released. Also hundreds of programmers are working on it.

Another game that I am following and can compare is Elite: Dangerous. Again this project is released as a finished game but nowhere finished it can be regarded as. After 4 years from its release we still don;t have atmospheric worlds to explore! Also no orbital physics are there! And you can not travel from system to system the way you do in SE. There is a loading screen every time you jump to another system, hidden within a hyperspace jump animation (which is quite beautiful nonetheless).

So let's be patient and I am sure that Space Engineer will deliver an outstanding release in the not so distant future!

Macronicus
Space Pilot
Space Pilot

12 Jul 2018 10:28

N0B0DY wrote:
For all of us (myself included) who are impatient about the new release bear in mind that
A) Space Engine has probably reached a point that it has become too complex to develop at the same pace as it was developed in the past.
B) Other projects (that although can not be directly compared with SE) are also delayed and even more for e.g Star Citizen.
Although SC has been announced at about the same time period as SE and although it is a completely different application,
look where it is now: In alpha state, expensive and full of bugs. And in addition to that it is a multi million dollar project and still no clear date as of when it will be released. Also hundreds of programmers are working on it.

Another game that I am following and can compare is Elite: Dangerous. Again this project is released as a finished game but nowhere finished it can be regarded as. After 4 years from its release we still don;t have atmospheric worlds to explore! Also no orbital physics are there! And you can not travel from system to system the way you do in SE. There is a loading screen every time you jump to another system, hidden within a hyperspace jump animation (which is quite beautiful nonetheless).

So let's be patient and I am sure that Space Engineer will deliver an outstanding release in the not so distant future!

Better not be buggy when it releases
To a Galaxy billion light-years away from a Dark World.

Hmuda
Observer
Observer

12 Jul 2018 11:31

[quote="N0B0DY"]For all of us (myself included) who are impatient about the new release bear in mind that

So let's be patient and I am sure that Space Engineer will deliver an outstanding release in the not so distant future![/quote]
I believe we have a bit of a miscommunication here. I am far from suggesting that they hurry up and finish everything now. That would be silly.

What I'm thinking is that it may be better to concentrate on one thing, finish it and release it. Then move to the next thing.

Plus didn't they say they want to use Steam in the future? Having Steam handle patching would ensure that updating SE in smaller increments is a perfectly viable option instead of cramming as much stuff into every new iteration as humanly possible.

If SpaceEgineer sees this post, please know that I am not trying to rush you. Take as much time as you need to ensure you hand us a stable and complete 0990 version. I have no insight into the challenges you face, maybe all of this work is absolutely and unavoidably essential for the goal of 0990. I am simply hoping for smaller, but more frequent updates instead of huge leaps that only come once in every couple of years. Nobody is getting any younger. :)

ettore_bilbo
Space Pilot
Space Pilot

13 Jul 2018 03:05

Hmuda wrote:
Source of the post What I'm thinking is that it may be better to concentrate on one thing, finish it and release it. Then move to the next thing.

Maybe this isn't always possible. At this stage of development often you can't change a thing without having to change another hundred

Hmuda
Observer
Observer

13 Jul 2018 05:46

Yeah, I'm aware, I'm just spitballing here. :)

Propulsion Disk
Explorer
Explorer

01 Aug 2018 10:12

Macronicus wrote:
Source of the post It's being released on steam? Will it still be release on the website still?

I'm pretty sure he means it'll be released on steam first, but i'm spitballing like the last guy. :|
I'm good when it comes to Physics, Algebra, Relativity, Space, and SpaceEngine. But I could still use a LOT of help on the things I still don't know. So I hope I get a lot of help on how all that works, here!

Sion
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

11 Aug 2018 16:14

Since so much is going to happen in 9.9.0, I'm wondering what we will see in 9.9.1, possibly 9.10.0? 

Propulsion Disk
Explorer
Explorer

12 Aug 2018 14:07

Sion wrote:
Source of the post Since so much is going to happen in 9.9.0, I'm wondering what we will see in 9.9.1, possibly 9.10.0?

9.10.0? there's no such thing, you mean 1.0.0.
I'm good when it comes to Physics, Algebra, Relativity, Space, and SpaceEngine. But I could still use a LOT of help on the things I still don't know. So I hope I get a lot of help on how all that works, here!

Stellarator
Astronaut
Astronaut

12 Aug 2018 14:32

Sion wrote:
Since so much is going to happen in 9.9.0, I'm wondering what we will see in 9.9.1, possibly 9.10.0? 

Probably SE v1.00 will bring about a mostly (but obviously not completed) finalized single-player and multiplayer gameplay concept and release of the actual game SpaceEngineer initially wanted (see http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=32 for the game concept and http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=72 for the TO DO list).  If you are like me and have followed (and even contributed) to mods for other games, you should know that version 1.00 of a indie project is almost never a complete game. Its usual mature at about version 2, 2.5 or even 3.

The Planetarium game mode will probably never be 'finalized' and on par with real-life scientific advances since pertinent astronomical discoveries will always add new updates. I am not sure how updates to the Planetarium would affect the single or multiplayer game.
Futurum Fusionem

JackDole
World Builder
World Builder

12 Aug 2018 23:59

I know someone who is 69. And a big fan of SpaceEngine. I would understand if he was impatient with the release of SE 0.990. For who knows, how many years he still has.
But he is patient and plays with SE 0.980 / 0.980_e until the release of the next version. That after all has also a lot to offer.

Stellarator
Astronaut
Astronaut

13 Aug 2018 23:56

JackDole wrote:
I know someone who is 69. And a big fan of SpaceEngine. I would understand if he was impatient with the release of SE 0.990. For who knows, how many years he still has.
But he is patient and plays with SE 0.980 / 0.980_e until the release of the next version. That after all has also a lot to offer.

Is this senior on the Forum?
Futurum Fusionem

JackDole
World Builder
World Builder

14 Aug 2018 00:31

As an observer.