Ultimate space simulation software

PlutonianEmpire
Pioneer
Pioneer

Work progress 0.9.9.0

05 Jul 2018 14:19

It sounds nice to do that, but look at it from a dev perspective:

You have all this hype for your game, you've had to juggle working on your game with other commitments including irl events or relationships. You know you dont want to disappoint your players, but at the same time you want to release it just as much as they want it. You avoid release dates because they only serve to break hearts, be they unfixed bugs that would have been fixed had it been later, or unfinished features/locales, or even overshooting it and releasing it months after the posted date because something kept going wrong during development.

With just as much hype for SpaceEngine 0.990, do you really want to risk upsetting the vast majority of your playerbase with an underwhelming or broken feature?

As a modder myself, I can already kind of relate to this, even if I dont get much actual attention. For example, that ocean mod I posted earlier? I expected it to be done within a few hours. Rookie mistake, obviously. Took me 24 cumulative hours to get it done. And trust me, that includes one 3 hour stretch of profanity towards my helpless laptop who didnt deserve this. :cry:

But ja. I look forward to release day too. :)
Specs: Dell Inspiron 5547 (Laptop); 8 gigabytes of RAM; Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-4210U CPU @ 1.70GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.4GHz; Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit; Graphics: Intel® HD Graphics 4400 (That's all there is :( )

vlad01
Astronaut
Astronaut

Work progress 0.9.9.0

05 Jul 2018 22:10

I actually want it to release later rather than sooner, just a personal hope that it coincides or dates after the release of much needed next gen PC hardware. Just make it so much nicer when you have a new capable PC for such an awesome bit of software like SE is.

I am all for the wait, better well rounded than a broken half release.

TheOrionGalaxy
Observer
Observer

General 0.9.9.0 Discussion

06 Jul 2018 10:17

i have no questions, and you guys are amazing. plz keep updating :D

Aisya
Observer
Observer

06 Jul 2018 14:01

1. if i donate some money, can i get in beta tester?
2. Can i donate using bitcoin/ethereum/ripple such as cryptocurrency?
I like this game so much. I heard this game about 1 years ago. and even now i play sometimes.

PlutonianEmpire
Pioneer
Pioneer

06 Jul 2018 18:49

Salvo wrote:
PlutonianEmpire wrote:
Will 0.980 shader mods still be compatible with 0.990?

I think not, the two versions has completely different shaders.

Ouch, I was afraid of that :cry:
Specs: Dell Inspiron 5547 (Laptop); 8 gigabytes of RAM; Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-4210U CPU @ 1.70GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.4GHz; Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit; Graphics: Intel® HD Graphics 4400 (That's all there is :( )

makina323
Observer
Observer

Work progress 0.9.9.0

06 Jul 2018 20:51

Allthis work for nothing, maybe 4chan cares. I guess we should all be worried about the paid version. Cause they had a release a whole while ago.....

HarmonicGF2
Observer
Observer

Work progress 0.9.9.0

08 Jul 2018 08:19

[quote="makina323"]Allthis work for nothing, maybe 4chan cares. I guess we should all be worried about the paid version. Cause they had a release a whole while ago.....[/quote]
Makina, which board are you referring to? Video game generals?

Propulsion Disk
Space Pilot
Space Pilot

Work progress 0.9.9.0

08 Jul 2018 08:29

makina323 wrote:
Source of the post I guess we should all be worried about the paid version.

What "paid version"?
I'm good when it comes to Physics, Algebra, Relativity, Space, and SpaceEngine. But I could still use a LOT of help on the things I still don't know. So I hope I get a lot of help on how all that works, here!

makina323
Observer
Observer

08 Jul 2018 09:03

[quote="HarmonicGF2"]Makina, which board are you referring to? Video game generals?[/quote]

/v/ usually has a couple of threads pop up once in a while. They usually respond well to spaceengine

makina323
Observer
Observer

08 Jul 2018 09:06

[quote="Propulsion Disk"][quote="makina323"][post]21430[/post] I guess we should all be worried about the paid version.[/quote]
What "paid version"?[/quote]

Overview

http://spaceengine.org/news/blog180302/

Mosfet
World Builder
World Builder

08 Jul 2018 09:12

Overview is not a paid version of SpaceEngine.
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
My mods | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 4gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram | IRC freenode.net canale ##SpaceEngineITA

Propulsion Disk
Space Pilot
Space Pilot

08 Jul 2018 11:45

makina323 wrote:
Propulsion Disk wrote:
makina323 wrote:
Source of the post I guess we should all be worried about the paid version.

What "paid version"?

Overview

http://spaceengine.org/news/blog180302/

Overview is a different program than spaceengine. :)
I'm good when it comes to Physics, Algebra, Relativity, Space, and SpaceEngine. But I could still use a LOT of help on the things I still don't know. So I hope I get a lot of help on how all that works, here!

Hmuda
Observer
Observer

11 Jul 2018 11:43

Damn, I check back every couple months and leave disappointed over and over and over and over again. And now I read that it might be 2019.

It seems my fears of feature-creep are becoming a reality. I'd love to make new videos with SE, but looking at the amazing pictures and beta videos...the current release just doesn't cut it any more. I cannot even boot it up for some casual messing around, let alone making a video. :cry:

Macronicus
Space Pilot
Space Pilot

11 Jul 2018 14:03

Hmuda wrote:
Damn, I check back every couple months and leave disappointed over and over and over and over again. And now I read that it might be 2019.

It seems my fears of feature-creep are becoming a reality. I'd love to make new videos with SE, but looking at the amazing pictures and beta videos...the current release just doesn't cut it any more. I cannot even boot it up for some casual messing around, let alone making a video. :cry:

I stopped creating planets just so I can wait for the new version.
To a Galaxy billion light-years away from a Dark World.

Mosfet
World Builder
World Builder

11 Jul 2018 14:14

SpaceEngineer wrote:
Release is expected this year on Steam. I can't give the exact date, because developing the app is not like building a road. Then you build a road, you may measure your average speed, say 1 mile per day, then divide the remaining distance onto this speed and obtain number of days left. Developing app is not a linear process, so no extrapolation can be used. I don't know how much time it will take for, say, implementing procedural generation of raymarched nebulae, which new problems will arise, and how much time it will take to solve them.
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
My mods | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 4gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram | IRC freenode.net canale ##SpaceEngineITA