Free planetarium

The_Blazer
Observer
Observer

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

15 Sep 2017 16:41

SpaceEngineer wrote:
Source of the post Maybe better to delay galaxies for the next version

Maybe this will sound a bit cynical, but games with frequent update cycles generally get more attention than games that update very rarely (unless they are big AAA releases, which is not our case). So yeah, releasing a more frequent stream of smaller updates might be a better strategy.
Born too early to explore space... but just in time for Space Engine!

Shaggy
Observer
Observer

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

16 Sep 2017 01:10

The_Blazer wrote:
SpaceEngineer wrote:

Maybe this will sound a bit cynical, but games with frequent update cycles generally get more attention than games that update very rarely (unless they are big AAA releases, which is not our case). So yeah, releasing a more frequent stream of smaller updates might be a better strategy.

Yeah, I would love more often updates even with small changes. I think even the implementation of cloudy galaxies would be enough for next version (after 0.9.8.1). It would make me get back to SE every patch anyway. :D

A-L-E-X
World Builder
World Builder

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

16 Sep 2017 01:35

The_Blazer wrote:
SpaceEngineer wrote:

Possibly but I have three folders of SE on my computer already.  Is there a way to automatically update with an installer so the version I already have can be updated instead of having to make another folder for another version?

Shaggy
Observer
Observer

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

16 Sep 2017 04:54

A-L-E-X wrote:
The_Blazer wrote:
SpaceEngineer wrote:

Possibly but I have three folders of SE on my computer already.  Is there a way to automatically update with an installer so the version I already have can be updated instead of having to make another folder for another version?

Wouldn't deleting old folders and creating ONE for new version be faster than typing this post? :D

A-L-E-X
World Builder
World Builder

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

16 Sep 2017 05:02

Shaggy wrote:
A-L-E-X wrote:
The_Blazer wrote:

Wouldn't deleting old folders and creating ONE for new version be faster than typing this post? :D

It's not that easy because you can't be sure what bugs might be in the new version or if custom add-ons will work the same way :(

gamadh
Astronaut
Astronaut

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

16 Sep 2017 10:50

SpaceEngineer wrote:
No, otherwise it will take an one extra month before release. Maybe better to delay galaxies for the next version?

yes, it should be better, because doing everything at once may not be very good
In such a hostile universe it is not necessary be the center to be special, just be alive

ARBB
Astronaut
Astronaut

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

16 Sep 2017 10:57

SpaceEngineer wrote:
Source of the post No, otherwise it will take an one extra month before release. Maybe better to delay galaxies for the next version?

Nah, we don't care about the time it takes, only the quality of the update, if you're going to do something, do it right. You can release it at 31th of december if you want.
S M OO T H RºCªMBºLºNE

SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Author of SpaceEngine
Topic Author

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

16 Sep 2017 12:08

Recent weeks I had work on a planetary chemistry. It is updated atmosphere composition code - I should call it the planetary chemical composition code now. Because it computes not only the atmosphere, but the seas/oceans and frozen ices. It performs iteration of the global climate conditions on the planet, computes equilibrium amount of gaseous, liquid and frozen substances on the surface. So now oceans also have the chemical composition: you can find exotic cases like a terra with carbon dioxide or ammonia seas, or a frigid aquaria with a neon seas. This is where the new planet classification shines: the old classification scheme would have a problems to classify such a planets.

I also had upgrade the star browser (for debug purpose, as usual - I needed a tool to find a planet with a specific conditions). Now it uses the new planet classification (3 classes are selectable - temperature, volatiles and bulk class). I also added a simple filters to find planets with a specific composition of an atmosphere and hydrosphere (not sure how to call it in general - "liquosphere"?).

scr00819.jpg

I will write a blog post about this features later on.

Spacer
Explorer
Explorer

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

16 Sep 2017 13:16

SpaceEngineer, awesome update!! planetary chemistry opens doors to lot of options in the future and also opens doors to a lot of imagination when playing around the game! it may look like a small thing but it is huge awesome feature!  :)  :D
"Exploration is in our nature. We began as wanderers, and we are wanderers still"
-carl sagan

Quarior
Explorer
Explorer
Location: Local Universe/Laniakea/Virgo SC/Local Group/Via Lactea/Orion–Cygnus Arm/Sol System/Gaia

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

16 Sep 2017 14:08

SpaceEngineer, nice work.
I haven't a good English but I think hydrosphere is correct because there are hydrolic but hydro is just use for water or for any type of liquid (because in French, it is) ?

Brett001
Observer
Observer

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

16 Sep 2017 14:49

Great news Vladimir! :) 
My meteorological website: http://www.weather-szolnok.hu/template
My PC: CPU:i5-6500| RAM:16GB DDR4| VGA:GTX960 4GB| Monitor:Dell U2713H

gamadh
Astronaut
Astronaut

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

16 Sep 2017 15:18

Vladimir, This planet in the image has the colors changed in the editor or it actually has these colors originally?
In such a hostile universe it is not necessary be the center to be special, just be alive

Sion
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

16 Sep 2017 17:55

FINALLY! This is a big win for terra hunters~

GOODBYE CARBON SHAMING!!!!! 

In all seriousness, I can't wait for this upcoming release. It basically covers all the Concerns I had with the previous editions of space engine!

Ensabahnur
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

16 Sep 2017 21:59

That looks awesome Vladimir, this version basically takes space engine to new heights!

N0B0DY
Space Pilot
Space Pilot

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

16 Sep 2017 22:52

SpaceEngineer wrote:
Recent weeks I had work on a planetary chemistry. It is updated atmosphere composition code - I should call it the planetary chemical composition code now. Because it computes not only the atmosphere, but the seas/oceans and frozen ices. It performs iteration of the global climate conditions on the planet, computes equilibrium amount of gaseous, liquid and frozen substances on the surface. So now oceans also have the chemical composition: you can find exotic cases like a terra with carbon dioxide or ammonia seas, or a frigid aquaria with a neon seas. This is where the new planet classification shines: the old classification scheme would have a problems to classify such a planets.

I also had upgrade the star browser (for debug purpose, as usual - I needed a tool to find a planet with a specific conditions). Now it uses the new planet classification (3 classes are selectable - temperature, volatiles and bulk class). I also added a simple filters to find planets with a specific composition of an atmosphere and hydrosphere (not sure how to call it in general - "liquosphere"?).

scr00819.jpg

I will write a blog post about this features later on.

Vladimir call it "Fluidsphere". The term "fluid" can be collectively used for both gases and liquids:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluid.
Now that I read more carefully about the properties of fluids maybe fluid is not scientifically accurate to describe the atmosphere and hydrosphere. Because fluid can be very viscous solid and not necessarily gas. Gases can be compressed but liquids can not. I think liquo-sphere is a good suggestion you made. As always I succumb to your superior knowledge and scientific talents.
Excelent work as always btw :)