Ultimate space simulation software

A-L-E-X
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

General suggestions for SpaceEngine

09 Dec 2019 08:58

Julian wrote:
A-L-E-X wrote:
A simple suggestion, place compass cardinal points (N, S, E, W) on the surface of each planet so we know what direction we are traveling when we move around!

This could be placed at the top of the screen as part of the HUD, like this:
And it would only need to activate when you're within a particular fraction of a planet's radius from its surface.

Wow thats brilliant!  Could I do that myself or do we need to wait for someone on the development team to do it?

Julian
Explorer
Explorer

09 Dec 2019 20:05

A-L-E-X wrote:
Wow thats brilliant!  Could I do that myself or do we need to wait for someone on the development team to do it?

Someone on the development team would need to do it. The flight simulator mode already has a horizontal bearing indicator like this, but it would need to have the NSEW directions added to it near planets, and also be made available in planetarium mode.

A-L-E-X
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

10 Dec 2019 16:19

Thanks!  I wanted to ask a question about the ship add-ons.... do I need to use them in flight simulator mode?  I liked some of Harbinger Dawn's mods, but I cant pick the one I want to use.  I want a ship mod that gives me the largest possible cockpit view (that is, widest window) to see and record the most scenery I can when flying over a planet.  Which one should I use?  HD's X-Wing mod?

A-L-E-X
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

13 Dec 2019 14:40

I know we have green for vegetation, well how about green in the oceans too for plant life under the sea (and maybe even glowing lights for phosphorescent diatoms and protozoans, etc.?)

Clockiy
Observer
Observer

16 Dec 2019 10:57

I've got a cool idea about a new feature that could be implemented in SpaceEngine.
In Star Trek they use Sectors to navigate in space (or at least to tell which System is in a specific location/ region of space).
A guy created a Guide for Sector Classification. Maybe it would be possible to implement such a system also in SpaceEngine.
For example: The milky way is divided in 4 quadrants, each has a subquadrant and so on. The outcome would be, that a Sector Block would at most has only a few solar system in it. So the determination and coordination would be very convenient.

HapNStance
Observer
Observer

21 Dec 2019 19:16

In 0.9.9.0, when using the Flight Simulator, there is no "reverse time speed" button.  I found this extremely useful in 0.9.8.0 when putting a spaceship in a low orbit, when planning an atmospheric entry, and in general useful when making videos.  When a particular trajectory doesn't work quite right, it's a lot easier to reverse time and take the spaceship back to the starting point, than it is to have to completely start over.  Is there any consideration to adding this feature to version 0.9.9.0?  Thanks.

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

22 Dec 2019 03:16

Yes, there's a cheat command for that.
Open the in-game console and type;
tardis
This will enable time controls you find in planetarium mode.
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
| My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80 | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 12gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram |

VoyagerX
Observer
Observer

03 Jan 2020 18:40

on SE 0.990 we have the apollo spacecrafts on the moon, i'd like to suggest to include Voyager 1 and 2 too. there would be info about their distance to the sun or earth (which nasa keeps tracking) as well as their speed, and all the data you can provide to us as always

A-L-E-X
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

04 Jan 2020 08:52

VoyagerX wrote:
on SE 0.990 we have the apollo spacecrafts on the moon, i'd like to suggest to include Voyager 1 and 2 too. there would be info about their distance to the sun or earth (which nasa keeps tracking) as well as their speed, and all the data you can provide to us as always

Can the program simulate their journeys so we can ride along and accelerate time to where they might be in say 100,000 years?

A-L-E-X
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

10 Jan 2020 08:25

red or purple foliage on planets around orange K type stars, perhaps black or violet foliage on planets around M type stars!

also how about seasonal changes to the color of foliage on planets around sunlike stars?

an earthlike earthsized planet was recently discovered around a star that is 40% the size of the sun and 100 LY away, the planet is the right temp for liquid water!

a high school NASA intern recently discovered a planet that orbits two stars!

sargentpilcher
Observer
Observer

12 Jan 2020 12:29

I have a couple suggestions in additional functionality for the skybox exporter (Love this feature!) which would be 1) Exporting all 6 sides as a single file, because it's not easy lining them all up in an image editor after the fact. 2) Option to export in a single equirectangular image. 

sargentpilcher
Observer
Observer

12 Jan 2020 13:08

A 3rd suggestion to add onto the 2 above that I thought would be cool is "minute adjustment" on customizable sliders. Like I was messing around with a custom nebula, and I had this idea that I thought it would be cool to animate it, by taking a snapshot, ever so slightly adjusting it, taking another snapshot, and so on and so forth, over a hundred or more iterations to eventually animate it, but the jumps are so huge that it's not currently feasible to do so. 

AyaReiko
Observer
Observer

17 Jan 2020 02:26

G Objects

Feels like something that would be rather hard to simulate properly.  Does SE have the ability for object deformation on this scale?  

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

17 Jan 2020 06:23

Eventually, yes.
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
| My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80 | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 12gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram |

Haider
Observer
Observer

19 Jan 2020 15:43

Suggestion and преложение

1. Please add SpaceEngine information information from English( not Russian) Wikipedia for each object with possibility of translation to another (including Russian ) language (as reproduced in google chrome browser) as the English Wikipedia is the most complete object information. 
2. add links to the English Wikipedia and others to the information on each object.this is necessary so that you can immediately go to the browser with a translator to the English Wikipedia site from the object program, then translate it into Russian(or another language), if necessary, and read the information.
3. Please add the chemical composition of the objects

Russian: 
1. Добавьте пожалуйста в SpaceEngine в информации информацию с Английской( не Русской)  википедии  по каждому объекту с возможностью перевода на другой (в т.ч. русский ) язык (как это воспроизведено в google chrome браузере) так как на английской википедии максимально полная информация по объектам. 
2. добавьте в информацию на каждый объект ссылки на английскую википедию, и другие,это надо для того, что бы можно было сразу с программы - объекта зайти в браузер с переводчиком на сайт википедии английской, тут же при не обходимости перевести  на русский(или иной язык,)  и прочитать информацию.
3. Просьба добавить химический состав объектов