Ultimate space simulation software

A-L-E-X
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

General suggestions for SpaceEngine

03 Jul 2019 16:59

It would be nice to have a button to record movies like we have for screen shots.  I dont mean full 360 degree movies or anything just something which records screen movement and doesn't use a lot of memory or storage space.

By the way, SE is in sore need of compass point markers like N S E W to tell us where we are going.  I am trying to reach a city in Chile to view the eclipse with SE but am flying blind.  Here are the coordinates:

https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/chile/la-serena

Current Local Time in La Serena, Chile

[size=120][size=100]Country: [color=#f8eab9]Chile

Lat/Long: 29°54'S / 71°15'W[/size]
[/size][/color]

Julian
Explorer
Explorer

04 Jul 2019 00:05

A-L-E-X, why don't you just look for La Serena on a map, then compare it to SE's Earth? The area of Chile where the eclipse shadow passed over isn't very big. La Serena is the city whose lights appear at the southern edge of the eclipse shadow mask:

A-L-E-X
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

04 Jul 2019 23:01

It's very hard for me to discern where Chile is on SE's Earth.  For some reason the planet looks very dark even during the day time.  I finally figured out a work around, which was navigating to the city's latitude and then accelerating time until the Earth had turned enough for the city's longitude to be directly underneath me.

A good workaround, no? :-P  I figured it out after about an hour of wandering around trying to get the latitude and longitude to line up manually lol

A-L-E-X
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

05 Jul 2019 01:17

Mount Everest/Coordinates

27.9881° N, 86.9250° E

I went here and wanted to know if so much white is normal- sometimes the whole screen turns white when I scroll around!  Maybe this is happening because I have saturation, contrast and sharpness turned all the way up?

scr00193.jpg

Zoliparia
Observer
Observer

05 Jul 2019 16:55

Could you make auto horizon on planets slightly faster? It currently takes nearly 8 seconds before the camera has finished turning, and during those 8 seconds I have to wait, and there's no way to speed it up. I know this could be seen as nitpicking but on the other hand I don't think it would take very long to do something about this. Thanks.

Sascha81
Observer
Observer

07 Jul 2019 02:40

^ slider for all colorpalettes.

slider for:

8 colors for Cloudspalette
2 colors for OceanPalette
1 color for ColorVary
Bottom
Shelf
Beach
Lowland
Upland
Rock
Snow
Ice
Lava
Steppe OrgU
Forest OrgU
Gras OrgU
Steppe OrgM
Forest OrgM
Gras OrgM
Steppe ExoU
Forest ExoU
Gras ExoU
Steppe ExoM
Forest ExoM
Gras ExoM
Aurora (TopColor)
Aurora (BottomColor)
Ring (FrontColor)
Ring (BackThickColor)
Ring (BackIceColor)
Ring (BackDustColor)
Comet (GasColor)
Comet (DustColor)

^ For more color Variety of Clouds, Ocean, Biome, Rings and Comets. Every planet, asteroid, ring have other colors.

f2d
Observer
Observer

08 Jul 2019 16:08

Suggestion for main menu - replace "continue" button with two:
  • "Continue from last time" (same as before)
  • "Continue at current time" (same as continue + time reset to current, it is what I always do each session, when remember)
This may seem unnedeed, redundant or confusing to newcomers, so it's ok to skip, just a thought.
PC: years old Intel i7-4770, 32 GB RAM, Radeon RX 460, 4 GB VRAM, 2560x1440 (main) + 4k (secondary), Win7x64.

SpaceSpade
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

09 Jul 2019 15:55

Hello everyone. I have an extraordinary idea. I'd like to offer a new class of planets - methane planet.
This planet would resemble a dead brown dwarf: basically, a brownish gas giant planet with an atmosphere made of methane with a small percentage of ammonia. Internal structure of such planet would be next:  atmo and gaseous layer - He, CH4 and NH3, liquid mantle - a mixture of He (92%), CH4 (6%) and Li (2%), lithium inner core with outer core of helium. Cool sub-brown dwarfs can be classified as methane planets too. The planet's bulk proportions seem to be like this: 97% of He, 2% of Li and 1% for CH4 + NH3.
Also how's the idea of creating your custom planet classes?
The post was edited because of the lack of the information: when hydrogen 2 is fused into lithium 7, free proton mostly breaks it into two helium 4 cores.
Last edited by SpaceSpade on 12 Jul 2019 03:29, edited 1 time in total.

A-L-E-X
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

10 Jul 2019 23:15

f2d wrote:
Suggestion for main menu - replace "continue" button with two:
  • "Continue from last time" (same as before)
  • "Continue at current time" (same as continue + time reset to current, it is what I always do each session, when remember)
This may seem unnedeed, redundant or confusing to newcomers, so it's ok to skip, just a thought.

I forget to reset the time so this is a great idea!

NoName
Observer
Observer

12 Jul 2019 07:33

I tried to find planets with life as we don't know it (exotic life), but every such planet only has either co2 or n2 as ocean, which is not good solvents for life. i expected something like methane and ethane, ammonia, hydrogen sulfide or even hydrogen fluoride, which is more realistic considering the possibility for life, but no.

can you consider changing the co2 and n2 oceans to something like nh3 and ch4 if such planets should have life?

Zoliparia
Observer
Observer

16 Jul 2019 09:03

Would it be possible to add an ESI filter to the star browser so you could filter planets or moons by their ESI?