Free planetarium

A-L-E-X
World Builder
World Builder

General suggestions for SpaceEngine

01 Sep 2017 03:29

Salvo wrote:
Mosfet wrote:
For some unfathomable reason that account simply translates random english posts into french, like other similarly named, throughout the net since at least 2013. :?:

Well, now I am confused.

It is a French takeover of the internet! :)

A-L-E-X
World Builder
World Builder

01 Sep 2017 03:31

NathanKerbonaut wrote:
I wish there was an overlay that displayed the distance to whatever is below the cursor. I love this feature in Outerra. It helps establish a sense of scale, which I think SE could benefit greatly from.

► Show Spoiler

I would like to see compass points!

A-L-E-X
World Builder
World Builder

01 Sep 2017 03:34

DeathStar wrote:
SCtester wrote:
My suggestion isn't so much about the program itself, but more how it could be distributed. This will likely be a very unpopular opinion, but honestly I feel like it would be better in the long run. Okay here goes:

I think there should be two different versions of SpaceEngine. One free, and one paid. The paid one is exactly as it is now, plus maybe a few new features. The free one has everything that the majority of users ever use - but all of the "sciency", less-known features would be saved for the pro version. The free version would fill the needs of most people in the community, while the Pro version would offer extra features to people willing to pay. It wouldn't need to be expensive or anything, maybe $15 or so.

Why? Well I was reading some past conversations here, and SpaceEngineer mentioned that the money from donations wasn't enough to both make a living and hire artists or other people to work on the program. I think that in the end, this would not only benefit SpaceEnineer, but also the program and the community as a whole, by allowing him to spend more time on it and maybe hire additional people to work on it. Personally I think it'd be worth the trade off. 

Some of the features that could be saved for just the pro version:

• The more advanced planetary info that most people don't understand or read anyway (Roche limit for satellites, Influence sphere radius, Argument of Pericenter, etc.)
  • Spacecraft (Once they're fully completed it'd make sense for it to be in the free version, but currently they seem out of place in whats otherwise just a realistic simulator)
  • Video recordings could still be present but without all the advanced controls they currently do - I don't think many people understand what all those do anyway
  • Exporting planets/systems
  • Advanced display options (Projection options, for example)
Anyway, just an idea. Hope people understand why I'm suggesting this, I don't just want people to have to pay for something, I do think it would be beneficial.  :)

SpaceEngineer already has a plan for a paid version. The free version will be the planetarium, while the paid version will be the actual game(base building, ships, etc.).

You mean the free version would be like Stellarium except with 3D travel throughout the simulated universe?
While we're on the subject of travel, I would like the "speed" thing fixed- I increase the speeds to c and even in excess of c but I seem to hover in the same place, there is no movement, except when I "go to" something and then the travel there is nearly instantaneous, and this applies to all flying modes.

ARBB
Astronaut
Astronaut

01 Sep 2017 09:31

Mosfet wrote:
Source of the post For some unfathomable reason that account simply translates random english posts into french, like other similarly named, throughout the net since at least 2013.

What the heck? So it just... Translates without reason?
S M OO T H RºCªMBºLºNE

Mosfet
World Builder
World Builder

01 Sep 2017 10:17

ARBB wrote:
Source of the post What the heck? So it just... Translates without reason?

Oh, I'm sure there's a reason, I just don't see a pattern. Anyway, sorry for off-topic.

ARBB wrote:
Source of the post How did you discover that? It's just so random.

I googled some variations of the username.
Last edited by Mosfet on 02 Sep 2017 14:39, edited 1 time in total.
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
My mods | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 4gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram | IRC freenode.net canale ##SpaceEngineITA

ARBB
Astronaut
Astronaut

01 Sep 2017 13:51

Mosfet wrote:
Source of the post Oh, I'm sure there's a reason, I just don't see a pattern.

How did you discover that? It's just so random.
Last edited by ARBB on 02 Sep 2017 07:38, edited 2 times in total.
S M OO T H RºCªMBºLºNE

A-L-E-X
World Builder
World Builder

01 Sep 2017 15:27

Is there any way to add real-time cloud patterns to SE?  I use a wallpaper program that updates cloud patterns over Earth every 3 hours as my background.  Data is uploaded from NASA.  Maybe there would also be a way to depict cloud cover in real-time from the surface of the planet (and even precipitation) using something like this.

DoctorOfSpace
World Builder
World Builder

01 Sep 2017 20:20

A-L-E-X, not without heavy engine changes, might not even be possible
CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor - RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 - GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC Black Edition
Quando omni flunkus, moritati

Mr. Abner
Astronaut
Astronaut

01 Sep 2017 23:50

And what happens when you accelerate time? :o

A-L-E-X
World Builder
World Builder

02 Sep 2017 00:07

DoctorOfSpace wrote:
A-L-E-X, not without heavy engine changes, might not even be possible

Doc check out Desktop Earth and see what you think might be possible, it uploads data from some NASA servers to show cloud patterns across the world on your background.  I get a kick out of seeing hurricanes in the middle of the ocean.  It also shows where there is snowcover and daylight/nighttime zones.

FastFourierTransform
Space Pilot
Space Pilot

02 Sep 2017 14:23

I suggest adding the next:

Retrograde circumbinary objects
That's right, we know that in binary systems there is a very compact region around each star where there is stability to harbour planets for geological time-scales, you can't be further from the star or the gravitational pull of the other would destabilize the planet. We also know that there are circumbinary planets, they encircle the entire binary system as a whole, but they need to be quite far away away from the barycenter so both stars appear as a single object and without pulling in a pulsating manner in wide directions.

But a team of astronomers have demonstrated,in a paper for theRoyal Astronomical Society, that planets orbiting in retrograde orbits around the binary system could have a wide variety of stable orbits very close to the stars! Here you have a simple case simulation that I really reccomend. As you can see there can be planets very very close transiting from one star to the other in a stable way for billions of years. Their obirts have poligonal-ish orbits (for example the inner planet of the simulation creates curvy triangles).

I know what you are going to say, the fact that this is possible dosen't mean it happens. The big problem here is having retrograde planets (something absurdly inprobable from the point of view of planetary formation theory). But hey, they could be captured (still improbable but something that you could probably find in SE if you searched quite a bit)!

The idea dosen't have to be about planets, it can be any object. For example, even if it's improbable there are currently tens of asteroids in the main belt whos orbit are retrograde! like the 10 km sized 2005 VD or the smaller 2013 LA2 for example. There are millions of rocks there and is not strange to find a few that has this extremely rare characteristic. Asteroids in retrograde circumbinary obits around binary stars could survive for billions of years and they probably exist in many of these systems. So maybe asking for planets in Space Engine is asking for unrealism but asking for asteroids and comets in those kind of orbits I think is reasonable.

By the way if the binary system has regular circumbinary planets and an Oort cloudI think it would be much more probable. In the solar system we know that short period comets have adopted those orbits because of close encounters with the gas and ice giants, to have this kind of encounters you need to be in an orbit not very inclined with respect to the ecliptic, so the majority of short period comets are not any kind of Oort cloud comets, they have been selected and filtered because they had low orbital inclinations. Similar situations may arise in our binary system, the circumbinary planets could locate Exo-Oort cloud objects with little orbital inclination with respect to the binary star orbital plane in this close region. A few of those (maybe one in a million) would have retrograde orbits, but hese would survive while the others don't, so for billions of years there could be accumulated a bucnh of big rocks in those kind of strange configurations.

I would really love to see this in SE, try to imagine the sky! getting close to one star and then to the other, Just awesome.

A-L-E-X
World Builder
World Builder

04 Sep 2017 18:21

Hi, I am wondering if we can examine and research the large scale structures of the universe with SE, or if this feature will be available in the future.  I am going to post some screenshots from SNPP7 and hopefully something similar to this can be done with SE. The program shows how galaxies move through millions of years, and I wanted to do videos of that but I don't know how to post quicktime videos here, so I just did screenshots at different intervals to give you a sense of the motion that is perpetual throughout the cosmos.  Hopefully one day SE will be able to incorporate the motions of the stars and galaxies :-)
Attachments
localgroup.jpg
andromeda.jpg
greatattractor.jpg
greatnorthernwall.jpg
greatsouthernwall.jpg
greatwallandattractor.jpg
twogreatwalls.jpg
virgo cluster.jpg
virgocluster2.jpg
virgoclusterfar.jpg

A-L-E-X
World Builder
World Builder

04 Sep 2017 18:30

Part 2 from the Galaxies in Motion series.
Attachments
3d.jpg
localview.jpg
orionnebula.jpg
crabnebula.jpg
milkywayandcompanions.jpg
milkywayandcompansions2.jpg
virgocluster.jpg
virgocluster3.jpg
m8182.jpg
m104.jpg

A-L-E-X
World Builder
World Builder

04 Sep 2017 18:50

Part 3  Stars and Solar Systems in Motion
Attachments
tauceti.jpg
solarneighborhood.jpg
solarneighborhood2.jpg
trappist1localgroup.jpg
trappist1localgrouplabels.jpg
trappist1localgrouppropermotion.jpg
trappist1localgrouppropernotionovertime.jpg
trappist1starsystem.jpg
rho1cancrisystem.jpg
propermotioncvectors.jpg
Last edited by A-L-E-X on 04 Sep 2017 19:31, edited 1 time in total.

A-L-E-X
World Builder
World Builder

04 Sep 2017 18:54

One more Part 4, Exoplanets and Star Clusters in Motion  So in conclusion I am hoping we can add these kinds of features to SE.
Attachments
HIP27887system.jpg
GJ180system.jpg
exoplanetsinmotion.jpg
exoplanetsinmotion2.jpg
birthplaceofstars.jpg
albireosystem.jpg
suninmilkyway.jpg
milkyway.jpg
perseusdoublecluster.jpg
scorpiusclusters.jpg