Ultimate space simulation software

A-L-E-X
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

A very PC discussion

04 Nov 2019 09:25

vlad01 wrote:
5k vs 10k is the amount of hours they are rated for at 105ºc  The letters would be the type of cap, construction/material I am not sure what they are though.

Thanks, I dont think I have thermal diodes on the caps, how warm do they regularly get?  Is 50C a good temp for them if the computer is on 24/7?  Or maybe even warmer?   Is there a diode I can use to monitor them?  I have a few monitoring programs downloaded.

Also, the T Topology listing for that board means I should be able to populate 4 DIMMs with 16 GB each with no issues?  I see that the newer x570 boards are all daisy chained, so although they are rated for 32 GB per slot and 128 GB of memory total, the most they should be used for is 64 GB on 2 DIMMs, the same as mine (but with mine I can use all 4 DIMMs?)

A-L-E-X
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

A very PC discussion

04 Nov 2019 09:28

Thanks, I dont think I have thermal diodes on the caps, how warm do they regularly get?  Is 50C a good temp for them if the computer is on 24/7?  Or maybe even warmer?   Is there a diode I can use to monitor them?  I have a few monitoring programs downloaded.

Also, the T Topology listing for that board means I should be able to populate 4 DIMMs with 16 GB each with no issues?  I see that the newer x570 boards are all daisy chained, so although they are rated for 32 GB per slot and 128 GB of memory total, the most they should be used for is 64 GB on 2 DIMMs, the same as mine (but with mine I can use all 4 DIMMs?)

vlad01
Pioneer
Pioneer

A very PC discussion

05 Nov 2019 03:36

They can get warm not normally hot.  Anywhere around 50-70c I would expect in the worst case with no air flow.   I wouldn't even worry about it as the caps aren't really making heat themselves but rather getting heated indirectly from the VRM and CPU nearby.   Only the really cheap nasty boards with tiny VRMs coupled with something like a 12-16 core CPU be overheating the VRM and indirectly heat the caps to temps that are bad.

As for the boards, with T I would chuck in what ever fills the slots up. They are designed to work optimal like that. Not too sure if that means single or dual rank though?  32GB total seems to be a good sweet spot if you can do it, 64 and up makes little difference so I would save your money there, even 16GB is enough for most people at the moment.

Yeah x570 is mostly daisy as 3rd gen IMC is designed to run much faster than the previous gen CPUs so I guess they are making the most of it rather than kinda wasting potential performance, of course at the cost of capacity.

The memory support for 3rd gen has been one of it's selling points so to me it all makes sense to go the speed route over the capacity one.

A-L-E-X
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

A very PC discussion

07 Nov 2019 11:22

vlad01 wrote:
They can get warm not normally hot.  Anywhere around 50-70c I would expect in the worst case with no air flow.   I wouldn't even worry about it as the caps aren't really making heat themselves but rather getting heated indirectly from the VRM and CPU nearby.   Only the really cheap nasty boards with tiny VRMs coupled with something like a 12-16 core CPU be overheating the VRM and indirectly heat the caps to temps that are bad.

As for the boards, with T I would chuck in what ever fills the slots up. They are designed to work optimal like that. Not too sure if that means single or dual rank though?  32GB total seems to be a good sweet spot if you can do it, 64 and up makes little difference so I would save your money there, even 16GB is enough for most people at the moment.

Yeah x570 is mostly daisy as 3rd gen IMC is designed to run much faster than the previous gen CPUs so I guess they are making the most of it rather than kinda wasting potential performance, of course at the cost of capacity.

The memory support for 3rd gen has been one of it's selling points so to me it all makes sense to go the speed route over the capacity one.

Oh okay so my board's caps are good enough to support 12-16 core cpus? :)
The interesting thing is this reddit board thread mentions that daisy chain boards might have a speed leak even if the other two slots are empty, something about them being inefficient and using energy even when not in use?
https://www.reddit.com/r/hardware/comme ... gy/eb9lb2y
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD ... ide/4.html

I remember GPUs making the same sacrifice, of speed vs capacity.

A-L-E-X
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

A very PC discussion

08 Nov 2019 16:01

Is having music playing all the time in Space Engine eventually going to blow out my Audigy sound card?  I do it for recording videos, not to listen to the music.  I have the speakers turned off but I know the sound card is still processing the music because I can record videos with it even with the speakers turned off.