Free planetarium

Spacer
Explorer
Explorer

Unusual weather

11 Sep 2017 07:25

N0B0DY, not fake at all. NOAA airplanes goes above and inside hurricanes alot. great way to gather data about them  :)
"Exploration is in our nature. We began as wanderers, and we are wanderers still"
-carl sagan

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer

Unusual weather

11 Sep 2017 09:02

Yep, they're known as the Hurricane hunters, and they have been flying into hurricanes for 74 years, and not without incident.  Five hurricane hunter flights never made it back. This memoir by Jeff Masters of his nearly disastrous flight with the hunters into Hurricane Hugo is a must read.

You can also keep track of any operating hurricane hunter missions and the data they record in real time here on tropicaltidbits.  I was watching one make multiple passes through the eye before Irma hit Florida.

N0B0DY
Space Pilot
Space Pilot

Unusual weather

11 Sep 2017 12:39

Watsisname wrote:
Yep, they're known as the Hurricane hunters, and they have been flying into hurricanes for 74 years, and not without incident.  Five hurricane hunter flights never made it back. This memoir by Jeff Masters of his nearly disastrous flight with the hunters into Hurricane Hugo is a must read.

You can also keep track of any operating hurricane hunter missions and the data they record in real time here on tropicaltidbits.  I was watching one make multiple passes through the eye before Irma hit Florida.

Wow I read the whole story of this guy's near-death experience. This can be made into a great movie imo. These people are really brave or too nuts (or both) to do this kind of job!

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer

Unusual weather

13 Sep 2017 02:51

In a few more days the Pacific Northwest's drought will finally end.  Here's the actual cumulative precip (purple) with the normal (blue).

I still can't decide which is weirder.  The last 2.5 months of nothing, or that the previous spring was so wet that we're still technically above normal for the cumulative precip...

A-L-E-X
World Builder
World Builder

Unusual weather

13 Sep 2017 02:53

I heard the Dodgers-Giants game was in a 4 hour rain delay?  What happened?  Rain must be pretty rare there in September......

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer

Unusual weather

13 Sep 2017 03:12

Rain and quite a bit of lightning.   It is cute seeing all the pictures of the fans who stayed and later fell asleep. :P

A-L-E-X
World Builder
World Builder

Unusual weather

13 Sep 2017 03:25

haha that's like me falling asleep in front of the TV :P when it ended it was around 5:30 am here, not far from sunrise!

midtskogen
Pioneer
Pioneer
Topic Author

Unusual weather

13 Sep 2017 03:37

Watsisname wrote:
Source of the post I still can't decide which is weirder.  The last 2.5 months of nothing, or that the previous spring was so wet that we're still technically above normal for the cumulative precip...

It's like public transport in the rush hours.  Four bus departures an hour might mean four buses at the same time, then none for an hour.

Over the past two months my rain gauge has received 510 mm (27.7"), way above normal here on the dry side of the mountains.  And we haven't had a single day >=25C this year, the second time that has happened since I began measuring in 2004.
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

Fireinthehole
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unusual weather

13 Sep 2017 05:13

midtskogen wrote:
Over the past two months my rain gauge has received 510 mm (27.7"), way above normal here on the dry side of the mountains.  And we haven't had a single day >=25C this year, the second time that has happened since I began measuring in 2004.

Indeed a very chilly summer. Seems like southern Europe got all the heatwaves.

Destructor1701
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unusual weather

04 Nov 2017 16:29

Here's Ex-Hurricane Ophelia tearing limbs off the trees overlooking my garden 2 weeks ago:

DoctorOfSpace
World Builder
World Builder

Unusual weather

04 Nov 2017 16:39

Destructor1701, that just looks like your average windy rain storm in Florida.
CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor - RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 - GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC Black Edition
Quando omni flunkus, moritati

Betelgeuze
Space Pilot
Space Pilot

Unusual weather

06 Nov 2017 03:48

Question: Why cyclones(hurricanes and typhoons) aren't called terran/terrestrial galaxies? Both cyclones and galaxies is spiral shaped

Spacer
Explorer
Explorer

Unusual weather

06 Nov 2017 06:50

its like calling a galaxy "space hurricane"  :D
"Exploration is in our nature. We began as wanderers, and we are wanderers still"
-carl sagan

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer

Unusual weather

07 Nov 2017 00:45

Or calling frisbees "throwable protoplanetary disks".