Ultimate space simulation software

Quadro
Observer
Observer

Gameplay concept

30 Jan 2017 06:13

Calculating MP data on client? [sub]Yeah, that would be fair...[/sub]

Anyway, I thought about this concept a little, and now I think, that it's all possible to actually implement with a good part of math.
Server could calculate, for example, resource data with frequency tied to closest player's range to this resource. It's gain/loss could be multiplied on the delta-time since the last view, so no player presence would be required 24*7 for economy to flow. Though, trail-calculating the gain itself in such a variety of variables may be kind of a tough question to solve, due to complexity of orbital mechanics and local situations in smaller time fractions. Or taking care of such little details, like allowing heightmap-survey redownloads to client only once per hour, as well, as making downloads queue for players for decreasing DDOS risks.
Anyways, even this complex system would be much less lagging, than the one at EVE. Instead of thousands players, this game would likely be supporting only hundreds at the same time. Instead of hundreds variables recalculating 10 times per second, most of the time, only around 50 variables would need to be calculated each 2 seconds. So, processing powers would be required less in thousands of times, turning the server cluster into a single dedicated PC. And it's all because real space games are a lot more slowly paced, than those in arcade space with constant pew-pewing.
Too many words.
Too little sense.

John Boone
Observer
Observer

Gameplay concept

30 Jan 2017 22:07

are there plans to  implement models for the space probes that that have and do populate the solar system? similar to NASA's "eyes on the solar system" but also including probes from other space agencies with known orbital elements.
Maybe it’s a little early. Maybe the time is not quite yet. But those other worlds — promising untold opportunities — beckon. Silently, they orbit the Sun, waiting -Carl Segan

jeansagittarius
Observer
Observer

Gameplay concept

07 Feb 2017 17:21

I play 2 years on this simulator and its best, better elite dangerous because u can go everywhere on space its illimited travel and i try the travel interstellar movies its very funny ;) thanks devs its amazing space simu 

zumruk
Observer
Observer

Gameplay concept

10 Feb 2017 06:09

I don't get the time scale the game is based on.
Are all the durations you gave real time?
Surely harvesting hydrogen from gas giants and mining asteroids for ammonia shouldn't take months of real time?
Just wanted to clarify.

Speedademon
Astronaut
Astronaut

Gameplay concept

02 May 2017 07:37

But how about time warp? Time warp can be a serious problem in multiplayer. 
With Timewarp, sync between player will be problem. Without timewarp, players should wait mituites or even hours for orbital maneuvering.
Hi I like fraid chikin

NathanKerbonaut
Space Pilot
Space Pilot

Gameplay concept

02 May 2017 07:55

But how about time warp? Time warp can be a serious problem in multiplayer. 
I remember there used to be a mod called DarkMultiplayer that added multiplayer in Kerbal Space Program, and it had an interesting solution for timewarp. The player could warp as much as they wanted to, but whenever they did so they would "de-sync" from the rest of the players, and thus would have to "re-sync" with the world after they were done.
I'd imagine this would result in players appearing to instantly teleport to new locations every time they synced back, but I wouldn't be too bothered by that if it all works.
I like cute pokemon and space games.
My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=173
Profile pic source: https://goo.gl/JdZX5v

problemecium
Space Pilot
Space Pilot

Gameplay concept

02 May 2017 13:52

I think DarkMultiplayer is still a thing. There's still threads popping up about DMP servers now and then at least.
ᴩʀoʙʟᴇᴍᴇᴄɪᴜᴍ﹖

MacherSvK
Observer
Observer
Location: Orbit around Sagittarius A, supermassive black hole.

Gameplay concept

15 May 2017 10:34

I honestly can NOT wait until the full release! Even this concept alone sounds AMAZING!  :geek: But Iam quite confued about time acceleration, will it be present in the online mode? And if so, how will it affect other players? I think it wuld be kinda unbearble to WAIT IN REAL TIME for something to happen, as you said here:
To harvest ammonia from that comet, you need 18 km/s and 6 months of time, but to harvest ammonia from this icy moon, you need 45 km/s and just 2 days

[url=https://www.google.sk/search?client=firefox-b-ab&q=release&spell=1&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiKmubjmfLTAhWjQJoKHeV4BjEQvwUIIigA][/url]

DoctorOfSpace
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Gameplay concept

15 May 2017 10:54

will it be present in the online mode?
If there is time acceleration in an online version and players have out of sync clocks, then there will need to be a mechanic to bring their clocks together.  It is entirely possible to do this
CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X @5Ghz - RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 - GPU: MSI RTX 40​90 GAMING ​TRIO 24G
Quando omni flunkus, moritati

MacherSvK
Observer
Observer
Location: Orbit around Sagittarius A, supermassive black hole.

Gameplay concept

15 May 2017 11:11

If there is time acceleration in an online version and players have out of sync clocks, then there will need to be a mechanic to bring their clocks together.  It is entirely possible to do this
Yes. If there wuld be some kind daily server mainenece, it culd synchronize the clocks during the maintenece. Or maybe some kind of ''Master clock'' where there wuld be set time tracked by the server, and players culd sync whit it. But only players synced whit this ''master clock'' culd interact whit other players.

Cesare
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

Gameplay concept

17 Jun 2017 08:35

The current gameplay of Space Engine does not have enough features.

The type of gameplay features that Space Engine really needs to have is the ability to do missions and quests. For example, build a spacecraft on Earth, then embark on a journey to Mars.
Cesare Vesdani

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Gameplay concept

17 Jun 2017 08:39

Cesare, if you read the first post of the thread (and others) you'll see you're more or less repeating intended goals of the game.
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
| My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80 | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 12gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram |

Sigma
Observer
Observer

Gameplay concept

22 Jun 2017 20:44

Will the game be solely multiplayer or will there be an offline also?

HarbingerDawn
SE Team Member
SE Team Member

Gameplay concept

23 Jun 2017 01:14

Will the game be solely multiplayer or will there be an offline also?
The initial game will be single player.
Ryzen 7 3700X, 64 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, RTX 3090 24 GB VRAM
Posts on old forum: 8717

Sigma
Observer
Observer

Gameplay concept

25 Jun 2017 09:48

Anyways to chip in my ideas for planet settling:

When you place a colony, over time there should be some urban sprawl spreading from it, like some smaller domes, greying of the surrounding landscape and city light effects to represent growth and any hills/mountains or uneven terrain nearby becoming flat or terraced to accommodate urbanization while canals are dug in some areas. The larger sprawls would have skyscrapers and arc blocks popping up which, besides being nice eye candy would make for some fun to drive rovers down the streets or fly between them.

It would be something in tiers, like first tier it's a outpost with a limited set of building options, then after so much resource collection you can upgrade to a settlement which is a domed facility with built in resource refining and buildings and unlocking new building options, next level is a town, then city. If the air on the planet is breathable then the dome is removed from the settlement.
Another thing for colonizing a planet I think your race should have an AI that will naturally start spreading across the planet and setting up new settlements once you get the first colony self sufficient. It would make things a lot easier instead of having to place every single city on a planet by hand. To control the AI though there should be a panel allowing you to set planetary colonial policy with options such as:
  • Quarantine: For when you find a planet with unicellular life but it turns out said life comes in the form of a disease that kills off two thirds of your race. The planet is forbidden and none of your race will visit it.
  • Forbidden: Garden planet. No one is allowed to colonize the planet and if you put some defensive satellites in orbit they will prevent other space-fairing races from colonizing it too.
  • Restricted: Only you can place colonies and the colonist will only build within a short range of it while using as little of the planet's resources as possible.
  • Moderate: The AI will spread towns and cities across the planet, but will stop after a certain point while being mindful of natural resources. Areas around cities will probably be stripped of resources over time and there might be some minor negative effects on the seas and atmosphere if you're not paying attention to the planet and building structures to counter this. This would be the closest to Earth's level of industrialization.
  • Unrestricted: The AI will cover the planet in cities and towns, no resources on the planet are off limits, the atmosphere and sea will turn toxic quickly if left unwatched and if there's a biosphere it will suffer if not go completely extinct as will the colonists eventually if you do nothing to keep the environment stable. Terraforming facilities and other artificial means will be needed to keep the atmosphere and water clean. If you can keep the planet stable it will eventually turn into a city planet after thousands of years. Planets with no atmosphere might develop one of smoggy sulfuric compounds if the conditions are right.
Another aspect of colony building is unrest. Things that could cause unrest would be lack of resources, cosmic events like an asteroid impact, war, or mass immigration from another planet (which could be caused by the previous things). If the unrest gets too bad then the planet will fall into civil war and you can watch little low poly tanks, aircraft, and spacecraft destroy each other as the planet's population steadily drops and if the situation doesn't solve itself and you do nothing to intervene then the war will get more violent and result in orbital colonies and asteroids around the planet getting damaged, their orbits altered and potentially de-orbiting either from damage or intentionally and nukes, chemical weapons, and nanobot swarms being launched on cities, while damaging the atmosphere, eventually destroying all life on the planet and turn the planet into a toxic, cratered hellhole.
A civil war in an escalated state could raise unrest on nearby planets/moons/asteroids, cause a chain reaction, spread to other star systems and cause a lot of "FUN".
This comes to the final idea: Ruins.
Ruins happen when the people abandon their planet and the cities on them, or die off en-mass. The ruins will stick around for 5,000-10,000 years. Anyone that happens upon them can explore them with a rover and find out information about the former colonists, like what happened to them, when did it happen, did they die, If they left the planet which direction did they go, and what other planets were colonized by the race at the time of abandonment? Eventually though after so many thousands of years the ruins will break down and nature will take back over, leaving only the leveled terrain, canals and terraces behind, which themselves will eventually erode completely after a million years. Far into the future all that would be left are some craters from possibly large former colonies that deorbited and trace amounts of anomalous gasses in the atmosphere. Though this all depends on the body the colony is on too. An airless body would keep any land changes as there is no environmental erosion and the ruins might last longer there.