Free planetarium

Xoran
Pioneer

General questions about SpaceEngine

18 Apr 2017 06:51

Endriex wrote:
Source of the post Every time when I try to find some planets with life I usually select one of stars in cosmos using F2 button. But is there an option to activate something like auto-searching planets? I mean... We selected one of galactics in the universe, and when we activate option we have highlighted all planets with life on choosen galactic.

If you want to find planets with life, try using the star browser, it's the icon with many stars in the left menu thing.

But i don't think searching an entire galaxy automatically is possible. You have to consider that galaxies range from having tens of thousands of stars (the really small ones) to tens of trillions (the big ones)
I think something like that would crash SE :)
Space is too big to understand, so do not try to understand.

scharfelimo
Observer

20 Apr 2017 09:44

Hey,
is there a way to change units in this game? It would be nice if there was a way to see the mass in kgs.

Xoran
Pioneer

20 Apr 2017 10:04

scharfelimo wrote:
Source of the post Hey,
is there a way to change units in this game? It would be nice if there was a way to see the mass in kgs.

You can't toggle to see mass in kilograms, but i remember seeing an asteroid whose mass was in tons, i remember the mass of the asteroid about 23,052 tons. However i don't think Space Engine generates objects so tiny their mass is measured in kilograms.
But you can toggle some units:

• Large distances (light-year or parsec)
  • Medium distances (AU or light second)
  • Small distances (kilometer, mile or nautical mile)
  • Temperature (Kelvin, Celcius or Fahrenheit)
  • Atmospheric pressure(Atmosphere, bar, pound per square inch, inch of Hg, mm of Hg or Pascal)
Space is too big to understand, so do not try to understand.

Mosfet
Pioneer

20 Apr 2017 15:10

scharfelimo wrote:
Hey,

For objects like planets or moons, you can see mass in Kilograms by selecting the Info window ("I" key).
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
My mods - My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 4gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram

Pro_Stig
Observer

22 Apr 2017 05:34

Can I upgrade SE to a more recent version or do I have to uninstall the old one and install the new one? I have 9.8. beta.

JackDole
Explorer

22 Apr 2017 06:00

Pro_Stig wrote:
Source of the post Can I upgrade SE to a more recent version or do I have to uninstall the old one and install the new one? I have 9.8. beta.

Uninstall the old version.
But you can make a copy of the SpaceEngine folder before and use both versions after installing the new version.

However, the currently latest version is SE 0.980 !

A-L-E-X
Explorer

22 Apr 2017 06:36

Sounds like any add ons need to be cloned to another folder and then added back, or else you'll have to track down whatever add ons you manually added!  Should I clone the configurations folder too or else I'll lose all my settings?

JackDole
Explorer

22 Apr 2017 08:20

A-L-E-X wrote:
Source of the post Should I clone the configurations folder too or else I'll lose all my settings?

You should copy the file 'places-user.cfg' if it exists. It contains your saved locations. Which of course may not exist anymore in a new version of SpaceEngine.

Furthermore, you should copy the file 'user-eng-db.cfg'. Or the file that corresponds to your language. If it exists. It contains your own named objects.

You can also copy the 'save-user.cfg' and the 'main-user.cfg'. But since there may have been changes to the 'main-def.cfg', your old 'main-user.cfg' may no longer work properly.

Xiox
Observer

23 Apr 2017 20:20

How do I change screenshots to be taken as PNG rather than JPG? I looked it up and changed ALL of the config files to take screenshots in PNG format, but they're still being taken as JPG.

Xiox
Observer

23 Apr 2017 20:27

Nvm, I figured it out. 

(Also, any way to edit a post?)

JackDole
Explorer

24 Apr 2017 04:43

Xiox wrote:
Source of the post (Also, any way to edit a post?)

You must first make 10 posts before you can edit your post and create your own threads.