Free planetarium

A-L-E-X
Astronaut

General suggestions for SpaceEngine

18 Mar 2017 15:40

Xoran wrote:
A-L-E-X wrote:
Source of the post And also procedural galaxies, quasars, stars, etc being with "R" something?

Yes. Procedural galaxies and quasars start with RG, stars, planets, planemos and brown dwarfs outside a star cluster starts with RS, stars, planets, planemos and brown dwarfs inside a star cluster start with RSC, clusters with RC, and nebulae with RN.

A-L-E-X wrote:
Source of the post I don't think a saturation slider is really necessary anymore as I've found B type stars to look quite blue, it's just that when you look at stars from a distance they all seem to be white.  When you get closer they take on a deeper color- I suppose this is good because this is how things work in nature.

The "it's just that when you look at stars from a distance they all seem to be white" thing is caused by the desaturate dim stars setting in the graphics menu. If you don't want stars with low apparent magnitude to go white, try setting desaturate dim stars to the lowest possible, 0.01.

Also A-L-E-X, you seem to multipost a lot. I thought you needed to know that you can edit your posts with the pencil icon in the upper right of your post.

Thank you!  I am also wondering if SE uses the B-V index to determine color.  I saw it isn't mentioned under info, so having the B-V index listed under info as well as the H-R diagram for the field of view might be a good idea.  I've found that when you want to search for extreme stars, it's easier when you can see it in the H-R diagram, click on the dot in the diagram and that shows you where in the field it is (and vice versa.)

A-L-E-X
Astronaut

18 Mar 2017 15:43

Mosfet wrote:
I guess there's only one place you have to go, the Earth. Use Shift-H three times to select Earth, (1. Milky Way, 2. Sun, 3. Earth), then press G to go, 2 times G to go faster.

Thanks, I wonder if it show the proper constellations by season and lat/long.

Mosfet
Pioneer

18 Mar 2017 15:59

More or less. Be aware that SE doesn't have yet all features of a typical planetarium software despite the name, nor algorithms for precise orbits. SE 0980 even has some bugs in this area, corrected for the next update.
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
My mods - My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 4gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram

A-L-E-X
Astronaut

18 Mar 2017 16:59

Mosfet wrote:
More or less. Be aware that SE doesn't have yet all features of a typical planetarium software despite the name, nor algorithms for precise orbits. SE 0980 even has some bugs in this area, corrected for the next update.

Thanks, I'm really excited because it seems the first all-in-one astronomy software I have seen.  Currently I am running Stellarium and SE alongside each other (on different monitors), but hopefully with the next version I can run SE alone.

A-L-E-X
Astronaut

18 Mar 2017 19:49

Hey I wonder if anyone has an add on for Tabby's Star (or if someone will add it in the future into the program itself.)  I downloaded the add on for Boom Star, because I thought it was Tabby's Star but I see they are two different stars.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KIC_8462852

JackDole
Explorer

19 Mar 2017 08:26

A-L-E-X,
I had posted here a version of 'KIC 8462852': JackDole: Mega structures ...
However, it does not work properly because it was made for an older version of SpaceEngine. I can not update it at the moment.
If you want to experiment with it, you can download the file 'KIC8462852.zip'.

chronicle
Observer

19 Mar 2017 19:58

a follow button would be nice. seems weird i know. but while in game if i decide to wander and try to get a better view of an object i have targeted i tend to still be following the last object i clicked GoTo on

A-L-E-X
Astronaut

19 Mar 2017 22:53

Thanks Jack!  I am looking at Proxima Centauri right now and I remember an exoplanet was discovered orbiting it last year that made some news, is there any way to add it to the program? The 8 they have listed are of the procedural type it seems.

A-L-E-X
Astronaut

20 Mar 2017 00:17

Coldest Brown Dwarf (as cold as the north pole) is this in the program?

http://www.space.com/25659-coldest-brow ... overy.html

I think it is but the name is a bit different WISE 08551-07144 instead of WISE 0855-0714

There are some others- including these room temperature ones which I have yet to find

https://science.nasa.gov/science-news/s ... ldeststars

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/08/24/y_dwarfs/

http://www.upi.com/Astronomers-detect-r ... 300147417/

The object in the last link is listed as a frozen gas giant even though it's actually a brown dwarf in orbit around a white dwarf (read the text)

also wasn't able to find this- hottest planet found (wasp 33 b)

http://www.upi.com/Science_News/2011/01 ... 1300147417

A-L-E-X
Astronaut

20 Mar 2017 03:46

What would you say the total number of "real" exoplanets in SE is?  More or less than 2,000?

Mosfet
Pioneer

20 Mar 2017 06:05

A-L-E-X wrote:
Source of the post What would you say the total number of "real" exoplanets in SE is?  More or less than 2,000?

According to catalogs distributed with v. 0.9.8.0, included those considered as unconfirmed, they should be around 5395.
Confirmed exoplanets are 3590.
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
My mods - My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 4gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram

jasperhb
Observer

20 Mar 2017 07:52

chronicle wrote:
a follow button would be nice. seems weird i know. but while in game if i decide to wander and try to get a better view of an object i have targeted i tend to still be following the last object i clicked GoTo on

There's already a follow button. You just need to right-click on the object that you want to follow.

A-L-E-X
Astronaut

20 Mar 2017 07:53

Wow, that's a lot.  Starry Night Pro Plus shipped with 1,800 and I guess it's more with the updates but probably nowhere near 3,590.  Still, as I'm looking at the SNPP program folder, it updates exoplanets, comets, asteroids and satellites in .txt file format.  Is there any way for me to use these .txt files (specifically the exoplanet.txt file, as I really don't keep track of the other stuff that gets updated) to update exoplanets in SE?  Do I need to change the format to something else in order to be able to do it?  I assume the program will automatically pick the type of planet displayed and its texture based on exoplanet class (which is listed in the .txt file.)

If there was a way to do this, it would enable me to add exoplanet updates to SE on a periodic basis (at least the more important discoveries at any rate.)

SNPP 7 came out in 2014, were there only 1,800 discovered exoplanets at that point, or were they leaving some out?

This is from their page.

http://www.starrynight.com/ProPlus7/index.html

Until recently, our solar system was the only planetary system humans knew. It was even thought by some that our solar system was unique in the universe.

This changed in the early 1990s, when astronomers began to discover the first extrasolar planets, worlds orbiting other stars.

Since the first discovery, astronomers have found approximately 1800 extrasolar planets. Astronomers now believe that planetary systems are plentiful throughout the universe.

Version 7 includes known exoplanets as 3D bodies with proper location, size, orbit and planetary texture.

You can visit and land of the surface of every single one. See an extra-solar sunset from the surface of Kepler-62e!

Xoran
Explorer

20 Mar 2017 08:31

A-L-E-X wrote:
Source of the post  I am looking at Proxima Centauri right now and I remember an exoplanet was discovered orbiting it last year that made some news, is there any way to add it to the program?

Proxima b addon

Also, please stop multiposting, as said in the forum rules, in Section III. :)
Quoted from Section III of the forum rules:

Posting randomly for the sake of raising post count is not allowed. Don't disrupt the forum for the sake of gaining new titles or making yourself seem more experienced. People here will judge you by the quality and content of your posts, not your post count!
Space is too big to understand, so do not try to understand.

A-L-E-X
Astronaut

20 Mar 2017 09:06

Thank you!  But what if I want to talk about different subjects (like different kinds of add ons.)  I've been using the edit button if I think of something that belongs in a post I've already made but what if I'm responding to multiple people or wanting to talk about a different thing in the same thread?  I wasn't even aware of post count, I just thought it was easier to read if I wrote about different things in different posts, rather than put it all in one post.  Same with trying to respond to more than one person.

Also, with regards to the add on, what will it do to the procedural planets listed under Proxima already?

Also, is there any "master add on" where I can add a bunch of things all at the same time (for example all the exoplanets discovered in 2016 and the first quarter of 2017?)

Now that I've seen the add on, should I install just one version of it or all of them?  It seems to have multiple versions of the same planet- if I should only install one, which would you say is most scientifically accurate? That's the one I want to install.

One other thing I wanted to ask at this time, does the program model the orbits and motions of the planets around their parent stars (this refers to all exoplanets but also to multiple star systems including the merger of contact binaries like the Boom Star) as well as proper motions of stars? If not, is that something planned for the future (it would be neat to be able to go forwards and backwards in time from any point- including the Earth- and be able to see what the stars look like a million years in the past and a million years in the future or any point in between or even further out- as well as modeling the precession of the axes of different planets, including Earth, that result in different pole stars.)