Ultimate space simulation software

Joud
Observer
Observer

Troubleshooting and bug reports - SpaceEngine 0.9.8.0

22 Dec 2019 08:14

Hello .. i'm not able to install SE on LinuxMint19 using PLaylinux -  if someone could help me thanks in advance
Attachments
backtrace.txt
(6.76 KiB) Downloaded 96 times

KnarzKnorp
Observer
Observer

16 Jan 2020 03:57

Hello!
I use version 0.9.8.0e

My primary issue is that all the suns diffraction spikes and lens flares aren't rendered, as if they are obfuscated, on all planets from ground level up to ~260 or ~415km. Then they appear again. This effectively removes the sun from the sky and ruins the view. It is irrelevant if the planet has an atmosphere or not, it seems. Any idea why this happens?
I use a couple of mods, but they don't cause that. I removed them and tried it again.

Secondly, I have to click on sidebar buttons several times, sometimes as much as 20 times, until they pop-up. This is also true for buttons like F3 or even planet and stars sometimes. This is very annoying. :(
Attachments
main-user.cfg
(36.58 KiB) Downloaded 96 times

KnarzKnorp
Observer
Observer

16 Jan 2020 04:09

It seems I am not allowed to edit my post. Ok: The second issue also appears in the main menu. Clicking ANY button takes several tries.

KnarzKnorp
Observer
Observer

16 Jan 2020 05:24

I figured out the issue with the suns disappearing comes from AutoExposure. (0 (off), 1 (simple), 2 (normal))
"AutoExposureMode 0" looks meh because it is not changing the exposure.
"AutoExposureMode 1" looks bad because the sun disappears at certain altitudes.
"AutoExposureMode 2" sun looks ok. The planets surfaces are a little too dark: It seems to force "RealPlanetBrightness" to 1 or 0. I don't know. It's so dark that only setting exposure to 2x is good enough.

Also I can't fix the issue with the buttons. :(

KnarzKnorp
Observer
Observer

16 Jan 2020 07:08

dang it, I need to be a able to edit or delete my posts...
- The diffraction spikes in normal or super mode produce a black spot in the middle of the sun (like what it looks like with cheap cameras), and the simple version removes the diffraction spikes in even the slightest amount of atmosphere completely.
- They disappear in atmosphere due to being darkened beyond recognition - which sometimes darkens the sun to being black/invisible, and this is even when I'm 420km high or above where there should not be much of any atmosphere left.
- It has nothing to do with the brightness of the objects in frame or slightly outside of it. I can look straight up from a surface to where the sun is and move upwards to see the sun pop in at some random point 200km above the clouds.
- Resetting the config and removing the addons, then deleting the cache folder does not help.
- I remember it was better a few years ago when I played with the program on my laptop. There was also no issue with button not registering my inputs.
- I can not find a combination of AutoExposureMode, LensFlareMode, RealStarBrightness, RealPlanetBrightness, AtmoExtinction, Exposure and Magnitude that actually looks acceptable/real on every planet. :(

I give up now and await your answers. Thank you guys!
Attachments
main-user.cfg
I don't know if this helps, it should be almost the same as the other... :(
(36.59 KiB) Downloaded 106 times

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

16 Jan 2020 09:26

KnarzKnorp, 0980e patch is rather bugged. It was meant to introduce precision analytical models for solar system orbits, just in time for the american solar eclipse. As such, it wasn't properly tested, hence the issues you've found. If you're not particularly interested in precise orbital solutions for planets and moons of the solar system, I'd suggest to revert to 0980 version, installed in a new folder.

You'll be able to edit your posts after a total of 10 posts.
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
| My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80 | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 12gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram |

Quentyn
Observer
Observer

16 Jan 2020 11:30

So there's this bug in all versions 0.9.8.0 onwards (including all steam releases) where all objects such as space crafts visually clip through planet atmospheres/clouds. Below are some screenshots I took in 0.9.7.3 (where this issue doesn't exist) and also 0.990. I placed an add-on Death Star in orbit around a planet and it's completely unaffected by hue, cloud cover and atmosphere? 

KnarzKnorp
Observer
Observer

16 Jan 2020 18:47

KnarzKnorp, 0980e patch is rather bugged. It was meant to introduce precision analytical models for solar system orbits, just in time for the american solar eclipse. As such, it wasn't properly tested, hence the issues you've found. If you're not particularly interested in precise orbital solutions for planets and moons of the solar system, I'd suggest to revert to 0980 version, installed in a new folder.

You'll be able to edit your posts after a total of 10 posts.

Hi, Ok I turned back to 0.9.8.0. That fixed the menu and button issues! Thank you!!
But the problems with the sun and exposure is still there. The sun alone only looks and behaves good when using AutoExposure off. But makes everything else look stupidly bright. For example I would need to turn Galaxy brightness down from 4 to ~2.5 to "remove" the milky way from the background when a planet is in sight, but that looks bad when looking at any galaxy from far away. (Removing all the galaxies from intergalactic background)
(Using AutoExposureMode 2 creates the black spot in the middle of the sun, btw. I guess that is why this setting isn't available through the menu.)
LensFlareMode 2 doesn't fix it and also doesn't cause it. I don't know if that even makes a difference.
I still can't find a solution that looks good, which is really weird imo.
On earth, for example, when I am 2 to 2.26 km above sea level the diffraction spikes and lens flares just disappear, and when about 200km high up, looking around with the left mouse button (up and down) makes the sun blink in an out.
I clearly am the only one with this issue, right? So it must be something I do. Right?
Attachments
main-user.cfg
(36.3 KiB) Downloaded 93 times

Neak
Observer
Observer

19 Jan 2020 15:47

So I was trying to start SE 0.9.8.0 but it almost instantly crashes.
The Screenshot shows everything i am able to see before it crashes.

I have reinstalled my drivers like 5 times ( currently on Game Ready Driver 441.87 )
and i even tried to install CUDA and C++ Redistributables.

I have a 2060 Super ( 8 GB VRAM which should be enough )
a Ryzen 5 2600 
and 16 Gigs of RAM

I don´t know why it does not even do anything but crashing even though my PC should be able to run it.
Is my GPU too new for this old Version and if ( WHY )

I seriously don´t know what else to try, so maybe anyone here has an idea.
Attachments
se.log
(10.52 KiB) Downloaded 99 times

JackDole
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

20 Jan 2020 00:06

Neak wrote:
Source of the post So I was trying to start SE 0.9.8.0 but it almost instantly crashes.

SE 0.980 no longer works with newer Nvidia driver versions (436.02 and higher).
(It still works on a few computers, but you're obviously out of luck.)
JackDole's Universe 0.990: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=546
JackDole's Archive: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=419
JackDole: Mega structures ... http://old.spaceengine.org/forum/17-3252-1 (Old forum)

KnarzKnorp
Observer
Observer

20 Jan 2020 06:16

but you're obviously out of luck.

Well, he just has to install an older driver than 436.02. No problem.
Do you know how to fix my issue?

JackDole
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

21 Jan 2020 21:55

KnarzKnorp wrote:
Source of the post Do you know how to fix my issue?

You may have changed other settings.
Delete your 'main-user.cfg' and your 'save-user.cfg'. (Or better, move they to a different folder so you can restore they if necessary.)
If you remove these files, SE will create new ones with the default settings.
JackDole's Universe 0.990: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=546
JackDole's Archive: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=419
JackDole: Mega structures ... http://old.spaceengine.org/forum/17-3252-1 (Old forum)

KnarzKnorp
Observer
Observer

22 Jan 2020 04:37

JackDole wrote:
KnarzKnorp wrote:

Delete your 'main-user.cfg' and your 'save-user.cfg'. (Or better, move they to a different folder so you can restore they if necessary.)

Still happening. :( With fresh install.

Mr. Abner
Pioneer
Pioneer

22 Jan 2020 20:54

KnarzKnorp wrote:
JackDole wrote:
KnarzKnorp wrote:

Still happening. :( With fresh install.

Sadly, what you are describing with exposure and diffraction spike settings is normal for 0.9.8.0.

QuanticMeme
Observer
Observer

05 Feb 2020 10:11

Space Engine is crahing after I start it. Log:
se.log
(10.6 KiB) Downloaded 107 times